6 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 10:47 PM

I've been eyeing an Ingersoll tractor for sale that is an "early model" 4016 with an Onan engine with 550 hours on it. I'm really impressed by the large rear tires, and according to TractorData, these things come with 11 inches of ground clearance. Anyone have anything to offer on these? I know Onan parts can be hard to find, but is 550 hours all that much? Would an early model 4016 be likely to have all the "new and improved" stuff since the early tractors came out? Doesn't look like there is any sort of rear hitch, how difficult or expensive would it be to add?

Edited by HowardsMF155, April 13, 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#2 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,415 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 11:31 PM

550 hours is not a lot if the motor has not been abused, Does it run good, does it have good compression on both cylinders? Attachments for them can be found but can get expensive. I have an '83 446 that already had the control valve bolted on the back with hard lines run to it when I bought it. You need this valve to run a tiller or a log splitter. That valve can cost several hundred bucks used. The sleeve hitch can run you a couple of hundred bucks, used. I have a single-bottom plow and a tiller, and they both bolt onto the sleeve hitch.

I like my 446. It is one heck of a good garden tractor.

[attachment=31066:100_8528.jpg]

Edited by JBBR, April 12, 2012 - 11:35 PM.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#3 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 12:34 AM

JBBR is correct on several points.But I offer a bit of a different 'spin'.

First his 446 is a sweet tractor ...I love the black frames and his is a 'late 83' because the Black Frames were originally supposed to be an 84 model year but they came out a 'bit early' :-).

Second, you know when you think about it, you can get the PTO to run the log splitter, but the PTO also can power tillers, and a couple other things, so ya it is kind of expensive esp with the sleeve hitch for tiller/plow, there are a whole lot of tractors that this feature is not even available for even if you wanted it!

Third, the cost of the implements, pretty much you can get a cutting deck for $150 any day of the week, and the quality of the cutting decks as far as I am concerned may be the best of any garden tractor ( I have a few so I can safely make this claim), Next a Plow if you look around and are willing to work a bit on it can be had for $100-150, and the cart for $75 -100 now the deck plow and cart are probably the most common of all garden tractor use implements, and considering the scope I say $250-350 isn't bad for the work those devices can do...Only to mention that the Case implements are very high quality and very rugged...Then there are the special things, the batwing mower, the snow blower, the log splitter, the shredder and I have heard there is a generator, I've not seen one myself, but I think that is an option. Those will vary in price based on availability, demand, and condition...

If you are working the tractor, and an expensive part fails, you almost feel obligated to buy new, but there are other options, craigslist, and ebay come to mind...The 446 & 4016 are rugged, durable, reliable and quite nice tractors...as a whole, while I've not 'seen' the one you are looking at, the Tractors generally are workhorses...
  • HowardsMF155 and Delmar have said thanks

#4 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 09:19 AM

Wait till he figures out that Ingersoll built a big wheeled version for Massey.
Howard the 4016 should be an awesome tractor and you'll love it.

Sounds like you guys don't realize the Hysplit doesn't need a rear pto.
It has it's own valve so you just need to run lines to the rear to tap into.
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 10:24 AM

Wait till he figures out that Ingersoll built a big wheeled version for Massey.
Howard the 4016 should be an awesome tractor and you'll love it.

:bigrofl: :bigrofl:
I think the first Massey L&G tractor I saw was a 318GX on ebay. I'd probably been looking at Gravely stuff and it was at the bottom in the "what other people are watching" section. I did some looking around and started seeing these other GT forums and found out about the older style tractors which I absolutely had to have. But I have been on the lookout for an Ingersoll built Massey as well.

So is the 4016 a fairly bulletproof design? And you say that the 4016 will already have the hydraulic PTO built in? The tractor plus deck is listed at $1300 which seem rather high, but I don't know anything else about it. It is also several hours from me, so I'm not going to pop over just to check it out.

Thanks for the info guys!

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 10:34 AM

Another question: someone said sleeve hitch, I'd almost rather have a 3 point on a tractor like this, and I would certainly prefer power to manual. With all the hydraulic lines, would there already be a hydraulic lift cylinder for the deck? Does this tractor have provisions for a 3 point?

#7 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,415 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 11:08 AM

They are tough little garden tractors, no doubt about that. Nothing out there is bullet proof.

There is a 4016 with only a deck on kansas city craigs listed for $2000. Price on used depends of course on market value but also on what you will give for one.

the 3-point hitch used is kinda pricey, the ones I have seen have their own hydraulic cylinder on them.

as far as options go I would start bouncing around online looking for information about the 4016 you are looking at.

Edited by JBBR, April 13, 2012 - 11:10 AM.