coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 09:36 PM

I got a double bottom plow for the MF 50 a few weeks ago. I only managed to plow one furrow and made it 10 feet on the next before I sunk the tractor to the axle. But thats another story.

I understand the idea behind the draft control but I am not sure how to set it up. I have the "main" up and down lever and what i am assuming is the quadrant controls. The quadrant controls appears to have two levers that can be set at different spaces on a plate. There is a friction disc but it is rusted tight. The friction disc seems to keep the spacing between the two levers set.

The single lever seems to control the speed of the lift of the 3PTH and the Two levers seems to control the height of the lift.

So how do I operate the 3 PTH for transport, plowing, bush hogging. etc..?

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 11:05 PM

I don't know for sure about the MF 50, but our 155 had two levers, a "draft" control and a "Position" control. The position control moved the arms to a set location and would keep them there. That was good for bush hogging, cultivating, spraying, anything where you wanted an implement kept a certain height above ground. The "draft" control would respond to changes in how hard the tractor was pulling against the implement. If you were plowing and the resistance of the ground changed, the arms would shift position. For instance, if the plow was suddenly harder to pull, then the hydraulics would start raising the implement out of the ground until the pulling resistance matched what it had been previously. As I recall we used that for plowing and perhaps discing as well. I think I remember that each lever had an adjustable stop both for how far down and how far up the lever went. I think we simply left the upper stops as far up as they would go, and would adjust the lower stops so the implement did what we wanted. For draft control, that meant working with the stop until you found a setting that had the tool at the depth you wanted and that the tractor was happy pulling at the speed you selected. I also seem to recall that the levers could be pulled over the stops, so look at what you have and see if it would make more sense to have a lever on the other side of a stop.

You know, just like a GT :wewantpics: and :picsoritsnotyours:

Edited by HowardsMF155, April 12, 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 11:24 AM

Try doing a Google search for "MF 50 3 point draft control" I found several sites with discussions about these controls. But I would prefer if someone from THIS site was able to guide you. One thing I found that I had forgotten was that you start with both levers and the implement "up". When plowing, push "position" control all the way down and use "draft" to control how hard the tractor is pulling, ie how deep the implement is in "normal" soil. Then use position control to raise and lower the implement at the beginning and end of the furrow.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'm kind of rusty with draft control use, being we've not plowed for years since we no-till our corn. But I believe to use draft, put your position control lever all the way up. Then set your draft according to depth desired. Once you find your desired depth, stop with plow at that depth, then set the "lever stop" up against the lower side of the draft control arm. You use the round knobbed position lever to raise the plow at the ends.
There is a sensitivity control , but Britt has already found it.
I could be wrong, due to CRS, so if I am wrong, someone please correct me!
I never plowed with the MF50 we had when I was a young kid.
I made a correction or 2, because Howard had it right.

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 04:00 PM

Had a few minutes with it today. I got a VID.

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the pics/vids. :nothingtoadd: Nothing else comes to mind beyond what I've already said. I will say that other lever you see looks like some sort of moving travel limiter. Dunno why you would want to lock a lever into a particular range of motion like that.