• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Troy that looks great. It doesn't look like there's a single rock in that soil! It takes a few years to come up with a planting list that suits your soil and light conditions as well as your families preferences. We like yellow and green beans here. The good thing about them is they keep blossoming and producing for a long time if you keep picking them. We find them very productive for our small garden. It must be nice to be planting so soon. We are still getting frost here but I did manage to get the gardens tilled up last weekend which is probably by far the earliest I've done it.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#17 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Troy,
Wow that tiller did a really nice job.Your dad stole that tractor he didn't buy it.That was cheap.Cantelopes and watermelons are viney so give them plenty of room.My grandparents had a watermelon vine come up naturally on the bank in front of the house.I think that vine was about 6 foot long,but they got plenty of watermelon from it,and they were good.Good luck on the garden.

#18 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 04:42 PM

Scarecrow 002.JPG

Well, on Saturday morning, jdelfjunior (Caleb), said he saw crows in the garden, and thinks we need a scarecrow. Not thinking he was serious, I just shrugged my shoulders and walked away. Now, low and behold, this is what Caleb came up with, and I thought you guys might like to see his creation. His name is Fred. (Sorry about the side ways pictures. I don't know how to rotate them)

Edited by olcowhand, April 20, 2012 - 03:23 PM.
rotated pic

• grand, coldone and DB1 have said thanks

#19 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 06:03 PM

That's pretty cool. Ought to scare away about anything!
  • johndeereelfman and jdelfjunior have said thanks

#20 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Looks good Troy, :thumbs: Seems like Fred might take his job really serious, he has enough drinks to last the day. Wont get thirsty on the job. :D Those are some nice looking rows you have. How high did you raise the beds? I often thought of trying that, just never got around to it.
  • johndeereelfman and jdelfjunior have said thanks

#21 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 08:10 PM

On adverage shorty, the rows are around 8"-10" high. Raised rows are nice for letting air get to the soil and keeps the rain from puddling around the plants. The only thing I don't like, is they take up a lot more garden space to do. Again, just a trial and error season this first year to see how things go. Could be completely different come next year.

#22 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 01:02 AM

Good luck with your new garden! It is a great thing to harvest your first crop, also very addicting. :)

#23 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 07:45 PM

Tonight I got two rows of carrots planted, and a patch each of watermelons, cucumbers and cantalopes. I'm hoping to plant the tomatoes and peppers on Saturday, and then I'm done.

My wife asked me why I'm making such a big garden for the first year, and even though it's relaxing, giving me some seat time, and fun, I told her it's because I need a garden in the background, for when it comes time to submit entries, for Harvest time during Tractor of the Month. :bounce:

She took me serious, but I think she'll start talking to me again by tomorrow morning, because it's payday. :dancingbanana:
  • grand said thank you

#24 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 09:27 PM

The garden is looking great Troy. I would love to have that soil in our garden. We have enough rocks that we would be willing to share. I filled another bucket today when I was tilling. Keep going with your great work and I'm looking forward to updates.

#25 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 09:47 PM

You'll be surprised how small your garden is once things get growing, everthing you listed excect the carrots are very viney plants and take up a lot of room.
If you do'nt already know, you should plant a pollenator for your watermelon, and not a bad idea even if it is a self pollenator

#26 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 02:30 PM

Troy, your garden looks great. You'll find out, like I did, that if you just tilled the sod and grass up and didn't remove the sod first, you'll have a bit of weeding to do when it tries to grow back. I tilled my garden up as early as I could, then sprayed the grass before I planted. I agree with halfscale too, once your garden takes off, you'll wish you had more room. Mine grows bigger every year. Good luck and happy gardening. Gary

#27 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 08:28 PM

Ok Guys, need some advice. When planting corn (Silver King), how many seeds do you guys plant together in one hill? I planted one seed, spaced about 10" apart, and still haven't seen any progress. Should I have placed two or three seeds per hill? Just learning here, so if I'm asking a dumb question, please forgive me.

Radishes and Spinach are coming up good though, so I guess things won't be all bad. Worst case, I'll just disc the corn over, and try again. What is the normal lead time, for me to start seeing sprouts?

#28 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 08:56 PM

My Dad taught me to put 3 seeds down on a hill, but it seemed like all three would come up, then you have to thin them. I tried putting two per hil this season, results were mixed. I think one of my rows wasn't where I thought it was when I tilled through to keep the weeds down and I lost those seeds. Your spacing is probably ok, but I use 12 inch. It does take 2 weeks to show usually. I also plant my corn in a 4 row block, with 2 rows on 18 inch spacing, then 36 inch, then 18 inch. That way I have 4 rows, as recommended, but it only takes about 7 feet instead of 9-10 feet width. I top-dress and water down the center of the 18 inch rows, so I cover two rows at once.

#29 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Thanks Howard. Due to my limited space, my corn rows are only about 10" - 12" apart. I thought I better keep them close, for germination purposes. Anyway, each row contains 18 seeds, times 6 rows, should give me 108 stalks, times two ears per stalk, equals 216 ears, if all goes well. Now that I sound like an engineer, with all the numbers and calculations, do you think I'll make it as a gardener? LOL I figure the season is only beginning, so if I have to start over again, I will still have plenty of time. I guess I'll wait another week, and see if I get any results. Thanks again for the help!

#30 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Troy, sounds like you are having lots of fun with your garden. With how dry we have been the seed might be lying dormant waiting for moisture. Now that we are finally getting some rain they might pop up soon. I was used to planting corn about 6" apart in rows about 28" apart, now I am thinking about trying some different spacings with hearing how others do it.