#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 08:17 PM

Well, I'm going to try my hand at gardening. Have big plans and ideas as to what and how I want to plant, so we will see how things go. If it goes anything like last weekend did, then I'm headed in the wrong direction. I tried plowing the plot with jdelfjunior's (my son and fellow member) 1967 112H and his 10" Brinly plow, but when I went to lift the plow, I found that the hydraulic lift cylinder was rusted fast, so I had to rebuild it. After that was fixed, I ended up blowing a head gasket after the first 5 feet of running the plow in the ground. Needless to say, I gave up.

So, I ended up borrowing Dad's John Deere 2305 and rototiller. It was a little rough at first, but after a couple of passes, the ground turned out really nice. I don't know how well you can see the soil, but it looks like it was sifted with a screen. Dad's tiller does a really nice job, and I was quite impressed.

My wife Kathy, made me put the picture of me in this thread. She thinks it's funny, as to how hard I'm concentrating to make my rows straight and deep. Must be a woman thing. At least I have my GTtalk hat on. That's some dedication in itself!

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 12, 2012 - 08:18 PM.

• NUTNDUN, daytime dave, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 08:22 PM

Excellent pics, sorry your own equipment let you down. I hate being a borrower.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Wow, photo number three really shows that great soil. It also shows how close your neighbors are. I hope they start gardening too. It's nice to see a tractor in areas that may have never seen one otherwise.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 08:39 PM

The John Deere tiller did do a great job. It is amazing how nice they can get the soil. Bummer about the tractor issues but you still got to get some seat time and it is on your favorite color. Gotta love the look of concentration. Atta boy on the hat too :D

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Dave,
Believe it or not, the yard that I'm rototilling isn't even mine. My next door neighbor is letting me plant a garden in their yard. If you look at the third picture, with the white houses in the background, you'll see my sheds, just over my left shoulder. Now you'll understand why I'm planting a garden in the neighbors yard!

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 14, 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 08:47 PM

...It's nice to see a tractor in areas that may have never seen one otherwise.

Yea, its just to bad that it happened to be a green one. LOL! Even though its a green tractor, I must admit, it did a great job tilling!

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 08:49 PM

The John Deere tiller did do a great job. It is amazing how nice they can get the soil. Bummer about the tractor issues but you still got to get some seat time and it is on your favorite color. Gotta love the look of concentration. Atta boy on the hat too :D

My wife is on me big time. Quote: "You mean to tell me, you have 25 tractors out there in the sheds, and you have to borrow one from your Dad, in order to make a garden? Where is all of this equipment that you just had to have, just in case you ever wanted to plant a garden. Here is your chance to use everything, and you don't. You borrow from your Dad."

I don't have much to say about that, and from past experiences, I know when to keep my mouth shut, and just walk away with my head down, and my tail between my legs. Sometimes a man just needs to accept defeat.

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 14, 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 09:16 PM

That soil looks great! Sorry to hear about the malfunctions. Reading you wifes quote brought back some memories lol. All nightmares I mean memories aside.
Good luck on the new garden :thumbs:

#9 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for the pics Troy. At least you found some gardening space close to your home. You may have to try roof top gardening to keep your wife happy. My wife still wonders sometimes why I buy more Bolens tractors. It's because there are more out there to buy.

#10 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Looks like it turned out pretty good Troy ( the garden thing not the wife thing :smilewink: ). Them Kathy's can be difficult. Seat time is good even if its a borrowed seat. Thanks for the pics.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 05:12 AM

Nothing like bringing a little Diesel power to the job. Those 2305's are a nice strong tractor and can do a lot of work for their size. It is great to see a garden going in there. We have a small garden and it's a great feeling when you harvest in the fall. The harvest from your own garden always seems to taste extra good as well.

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 06:16 AM

Nothing like bringing a little Diesel power to the job. Those 2305's are a nice strong tractor and can do a lot of work for their size.

Yes Brian,

This tractor really impressed me. He got the tractor, 60" mower deck, tiller, and front end loader, I believe for around $3,500.00. He bought it off his neighbor, who bought it new, and then realized it was too big for his yard, so he offered it to Dad. Can't even touch the FEL for that price new, so Dad had to jump on the deal. It only has 250 hours on it, so it's not even broken in yet. I really like it, and I'm looking forward to using it again sometime with the front end loader. Even at high rpm's, the tractor runs quiet.

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 13, 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#13 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 09:05 AM

A 2305 for $3500? Man, cheapest I've seen one up here was $11000. They are also too big for my yard, but for $3500 I'd buy it anyway.

Gardening in your neighbour's yard is a good idea. I'm thinking of taking over the empty field behind my yard and growing veggies for the food bank. I already plant trees back there when they spring up in unwanted places in my yard, and if I ever get the landscaping done in my yard, I'm going to need an excuse for seat time.

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 10:54 AM

Troy, your dad has a very nice neighbour! That tiller sure did a job on that soil. The FEL alone would run 3500$. It's about the size of a super GT but with 4wd and all the features of a small farm tractor. We've been talking so much about the equipment I don't think you've had time to mention what you will be planting!

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 03:17 PM

Well, this is what I have so far:

Six rows of Sweet Corn
Two rows of Spinach
Two rows of Radishes

I want to plant some Carrots, Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Cantelope, Cucumbers, and Watermellon yet. After these are planted, I'll see how much room I have left, and maybe plant a row of Stringbeans. This is a trial and error thing, so I'm going to experiment this first year to see what will grow, and what doesn't, and that will determine how much I do next year.

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 14, 2012 - 03:20 PM.