• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• Member No: 1289
  • 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 08:03 AM

Woohoo, another member making my plow day! Still no date set, but there will be a plow day. Looking forward to meeting you & turning some dirt!

Please, plan on having a plow set up area. I am definitely a plowing rookie, and could use a little help.

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,655 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 08:05 AM

Please, plan on having a plow set up area. I am definitely a plowing rookie, and could use a little help.

Should be plenty of room for a test area.
  • 1971Deere said thank you

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 08:51 AM

As a backup plan I think the K321 from the 214 might just bolt right in to the 140! I hope you guys take some video of Daniels plow day. I love to see the soil turning over and hear the tractors. If the 140 can't make the trip I'm sure the 214 will do fine.

#19 michael1968 OFFLINE  

michael1968
  • Member No: 9479
  • 18 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 07:27 PM

just got the brake drum for my 110

#20 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Got to do some work on the 140 today.

Pulled the PTO to replace the leaking crank seal. When I was trying to clean the gunk off with a rag, the old seal moved. It was loose in the block. It did seem to be an after market replacement. The factory Kohler seal fit in snugly, and showed no sign of leaking when test run.

The next Job was to pull the K321's head. I found that all the head bolts were loose. No wonder it was leaking. But, it does seem that this engine has been rebuilt. The piston look like new. The small amount of build up wiped off easily with a wet rag. The piston was stamped OK51307 STD. I do not know if this piston is Kohler or after market. If anyone knows please let me know.

The cylinder wall looks good, and the valves looked fine. So, I cleaned up the head, re- installed, torquing it to spec.

The next was the carburetor. I pulled it apart and gave it a thorough cleaning.

When I was checking the main jet I found it was not screwed all the way in. It was blocking a large part of the orifice that allows gas in from the bowl. The Kohler had to be starving for fuel. I pulled the jet out, cleaned it, and re installed it. I made sure it was fully seated now. The throttle shaft has a little play in it, but it can wait for now.

After the carb was re- installed and adjusted, I started the Kohler up. What a difference. It was running very good and a lot quieter. It will need some tweaking later, but I am pretty pleased so far.

The next project will be cleaning up all the oil soaked dirt from underneath the tractor. The oil leaking from the crank seal was hitting the mule drive. The mower deck belt threw it all over..

Attached Thumbnails

• k321 seal.jpg
  • k321 piston1.jpg
  • k321 piston2.jpg

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 07:52 AM

Yes that piston is in really good shape. No carbon buildup anywhere. The PO probably didn't re torque the HG after a brief run. I wish my 321 in the 314 looked that good!

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 09:26 AM

That is one clean piston. I agree the HG probably wasn't re torqued after running for a bit.

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,655 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 09:38 AM

I've looked everywhere I can think of, and can't find anything for the piston stamped #.

#24 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 09:26 PM

I have not checked in for awhile, so I am reviving this post to let you know whats happening with my 140. I still plan on using this tractor during olcowhand's plow day, so I need to get with it.

The engine had another bad oil leak from the flywheel side, so it had been parked for awhile. Today I decided to tear into it. After I got everything unhooked and the engine removed I started taking it apart. The clutch, shrouds and flywheel came off without trouble.

Took a good look at the seal, there was no oil around it at all. The bearing plate was covered with oil and dirt, so I cleaned it up and check the torque on the plate bolts. They were very loose. I just assumed they were not tightened correctly when the engine was rebuilt. The manual said they should be torqued to 35 ft lbs. As I started tightening them, I could tell something was wrong. They were turning OK but the torque was not coming up normally. So I started to remove one when it broke off. Fortunately, it was loose enough to turn out using chisel. Pulled the rest of the bolts with no problem. The threads in the block were fine, and the bolts did not look bad. The bolts did not have any marks on the head so I am not sure of there grade. I found some grade 8 bolts to replace them. The new bolts torqued perfectly. The old bolts must have been stretching, or in the process of breaking. (Over Torqued)

I went ahead and installed a new Kohler seal, because I really do not want to do this again.

Got the engine reassembled, and setting back in the frame. Then, I called it a day.

I hope to finish it up tomorrow, so I can get plenty of testing time before the plow day.

Sorry, no recent pictures of the 140. Here are a few of my 214 with a home built grader box that I found on Craigslist.

P8220020.JPG

P8220021.JPG

P8220025.JPG

#25 fishman OFFLINE  

fishman

• Member No: 5368
  • 19 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 10:23 PM

That is a nice looking 140. The 214 looks good too. I wish my 140 looked that good when I found it. I wish I would have took a picture of it when I went to pick it up. Sitting out under a little tree in a run down trailer park with some kind of plastic seat screwed on with drywall screws. It was sad looking. But hope in another week it will be much nicer.