Starter Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 English OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3525
  • 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 12:45 PM

I was looking at the starters today to see if I could figure out what was happening. I noticed the other day that what appears to be ruining the newer starters is that they will not disengage from the ring gear and retract. Thanks to a heads up on this forum for leading me to the problem!

In comparing the starters the two newer ones are slightly different in diameter and sport 11 gear teeth while the original has 10. What I think is happening is that the differnce in size is causing the gear to wedge into the spirals that twist it into place on the screw shaft. Once that happens it remains jammed in the ring gear. I'm certain it's not the ring gear binding as when I remove the starter the gear remains extended until I tap it back with a hammer...it takes a bit of force to do this I might add.

Is there a proper starter currently being made. Better yet is there a rebuild kit for the original. Other options?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,708 Thanks
  • 28,351 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 08:17 PM

Mike, your best bet is to go to your local small engine shop (if you have one). They'll be able to get you what you need.

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,424 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 12:51 AM

not sure the engine you have but you must have the correct number of teeth for it to work right. you cant add or subtract a tooth with out having the matching ring gear on the flywheel. All it will do is bind as its going to be to big to fit in the space allowed.

A good shop should be able to tell you what the correct unit is. If the drive is sticking out after you shut it off then you have trouble. Now...some of the Briggs model that dont use a flywheel generator use the starter as a generator, after its done starting. It works on the system of what was driving, is now being driven and now makes current instead of useing it for powering. Once again a shop would be able to tell you what you have based on the engine info you provide them.