sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 08:16 PM

"Spray cans usually contain uncatalyzed enamel. It would take something like six months of air dry time before you should consider applying a chemical as harsh as clear coat over it" Troy I cut this from Bob Story's paint site.....may not fit your situation exactly......but I had been on his site earlier today and when I read your post....I remembered reading this.......hope you get it figured out.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#32 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Troy thats very odd.I use the rustoleum clear alot and never had an issue with it except on plastic. The colars I used the clear on were the JD green and the agco red and it turned out nice.What did you use to wipe the tank after wet sanding?That might have left residue on the tank.Was it actually the white cracking or was it the clear getting fish eyed?

#33 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 08:24 PM

You think temp of the tank @ the time might have done it? was it warm when clear hit it?

#34 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 06:15 AM

Craig, it could have very well been the clear that cracked, and not the white. I'm not sure, but needless to say, I was disappointed.

Scott, I left the last coat of white cure for three weeks before I tried applying the clear, and thought it should have been set up enough. I guess the "totally not cured" idea could have something to do with it, but I would have thought I would have been alright, since both cans of paint are enamel paint.

Newpaws493, the tank was cool when the clear coat was applied. I hung the tank in the shed after it sat out in the sun all afternoon, and waited for an hour and a half before applying the clear, so I don't think the temperature assisted in the results. Any other time though, I usually paint my parts while being hot and almost to the temperature of not being able to pick them up with your bare hands. Maybe I should result back to using that method if I try applying the clear again. I'll put the tank in the oven on low heat for a couple of minutes, and then shoot the clear.

#35 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 06:28 AM

Troy, we had to make some special mounting brackets for a sound job one time. White.

Every time we tried to paint them with a second coat, it would do what you are describing or orange peel. We tried this, sounds similar to what you're planning.

We took a large cardboard box (don't laugh) and something to hang the parts on, cut a 4" hole in the bottom and one on the opposite side at the top. Ran an electric dryer exhaust (don't laugh) into the 4" hole at the bottom and let them cook for a while. Once heated, we shot the first coat, second coat after another half hour + in the heat box. Heated again to dry and they turned out fine.

Exhaust temps on dryers vary, but around 170 is an average.
  • KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#36 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 07:03 AM

Now that's using the old brain matter. Built yourself an oven to bake the parts in. Neat idea!

#37 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 01:29 PM

I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thank you!
  • VintageIronCollector said thank you

#38 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 02:22 PM

I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thank you!

How had your fogger turned out?

#39 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 04:01 PM

How had your fogger turned out?

Well.....we moved during the half process of restoring this fogger, and since being all moved in, I haven't found it yet to complete the restoration. Once I find, believe me I'll get it finished. 

Congrats on yours!! You beat me to it. :thumbs:  Are you going to restore it or just clean it up and show it as is. I took notice that your decal is different than mine. Not sure which one is older, but I'm thinking yours is a couple of years newer than mine. Anyway, have fun with it! 

#40 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 05:09 PM

Well.....we moved during the half process of restoring this fogger, and since being all moved in, I haven't found it yet to complete the restoration. Once I find, believe me I'll get it finished. 

Congrats on yours!! You beat me to it. :thumbs:  Are you going to restore it or just clean it up and show it as is. I took notice that your decal is different than mine. Not sure which one is older, but I'm thinking yours is a couple of years newer than mine. Anyway, have fun with it! 

yea the one i'm getting is probably a newer one. after i get it here will get set to making the other missing pieces. i probably wont repaint it

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#41 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 04:55 PM

yea the one i'm getting is probably a newer one. after i get it here will get set to making the other missing pieces. i probably wont repaint it

From what I can tell of the pictures, your fogger looks to be pretty complete. That was one of the reasons why I was interested in it. Both mounting straps and brackets seem to be there, along with the gauge, and they are the most important items to have. At least you have a good decal to go off of if you ever decide to have one reproduced. 

• VintageIronCollector said thank you