#16 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 08:36 PM

Thats definatly a rare pc.I've never seen any of those.Looks good so far.I would advise as not to give johndeereelfwoman the drill.She might go to town.Hey Troy, what are these big 3" circles with teeth for.It looks like these will drill a hole.

Yeah Craig, you pretty much made up my mind for me. I'll drill the holes myself, even if it brings a few tears! LOL

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 09:23 PM

Troy, is there any way to make a set of straps? How about at sticky Velcro. Shouldn't be any harder to get back off than any other sticker later... May have to repaint?
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#18 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 06:13 AM

I guess I could use double stick tape on the bottom of the brackets, but I'm afraid the tape wouldn't hold up well with changing weather conditions. I don't know,mounting is still a couple days off yet. Still time to decide on mounting methods. I'll most likely just drill the two holes, and be done with it.

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 06:41 AM

Will the vibration, extra weight, etc cause stress to the fiberglass?

#20 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 07:28 AM

If I remember correctly, when I took the tank and mounting brackets off of the old hood, there weren't any stress cracks or ovaling of the holes, but then again, the overall hood didn't have any cracks or breaks, which is rare in itself, so I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't abuse the hood or fogger unit. I don't think there would be any problems with vibration, since most of my tractor collection is for show only, and aren't intended to be used for working aspects again. Good point though, and Thank you for bringing it up!

#21 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 01:23 PM

How about velcro? My thought would be the more the hood vibrates the more the two pieces would work down into each other and hold all the tighter. I've seen velcro with a sticky back at the hardware store.

Another option might be something similar to silicone sealant or the adheasive they use to attach body moldings to cars. I picked some up at the local auto parts store called H2 Hold by Devcon. As I remember its characteristics were the ability to flex 5% with a tensile strengh of 1,800 # per square inch.

Like you, I would be hesitant to drill holes in a perfectly good hood.

#22 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 01:26 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that it looks to be a really cool project too. :smile1:

#23 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 01:54 PM

Troy great find!! I am wondering if that is the same thing the guy I bought my MF10 from had on it....I have 2 holes on the top and he mentioned "fogging" with it.....he was from just outside of york......it was on my old PC but if you want to contact him let me know and I will see if I can find his contact info.....he had bought the 67 MF10 new and had kept it all these years...it is a keeper.....well used but also kept inside all its life. I did not think to ask if he still had it....I assumed it was some type of homemade contraption when he mentioned it.

Look forward to seeing the finished result!

#24 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 03:46 PM

Troy, you might consider 3M Double Sided Tape to hold the tank on top. Never heard of a Blitzfogger but then again, there's probably a lot I haven't heard of. Looks good though.

#25 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 08:29 PM

I thought about using velcro, but I also thought about how easy it would be to remove and disappear too! The 3M double stick tape is what I originally thought about, but again, will it hold up well with changing weather conditions, and direct hot sun light at tractor shows? I don't know. The hood is roughly an 1/8" thick, and I gave bushing a thought, if I decided to drill the hood, but then again, if the bolts cause ovaling from vibration, wouldn't the bushing also? Again, the tractor will be a show piece only, and will never do hard labor again, so how much will vibration really play here, with just running the tractor on and off the trailer?

I really appreciate all of the mounting ideas and feedback guys! You're really giving me a lot to think about, and super possibilities.

Scott,
Thanks for the offer, but I'll let one of the other guys contact you, if you don't mind. I have this one, and I don't want to be selfish, so maybe one of these other guys will be interested? One is just fine for me. I know of at least two other guys that would love to find one of these, and both of them posted on here, so maybe they will contact you. Thank you for the offer though, and for thinking of me.

Edited by johndeereelfman, May 22, 2012 - 08:31 PM.

#26 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 10:14 PM

Go ahead hold your breath and make the holes just triple check the spot before you do :thumbs:

#27 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 03:33 PM

Well, today I got the second coat of white on the tank, and since the valve assembly wouldn't clean up as nice as I wanted it to, I painted it silver. The aluminum mounting brackets cleaned up nice with the aluminum cleaner, but since I want them shiny, I took some SOS steel wool pads over them, and boy what a difference in the finish. As you can see, the tank straps were painted green as well, so I spent a little time cleaning one of them, just for the challenge. I know you can buy new stainless steel straps, but if these will clean up nice, I'm planning on reusing them. I'll let the tank cure for a couple of days before I wet sand it, then give it two additional coats of paint, with wet sanding in between. Starting to get excited in getting it finish now. Can't wait to apply the decal!

The two last pictures are from the Allis Chalmers Accessory catalog that I have. One is just to show that these foggers were options for Allis, and the other picture is to show one of these units in operation.

Wow, sorry guys. I didn't realize just how blurry the pictures were until after I posted them on here.

Edited by johndeereelfman, May 25, 2012 - 06:55 PM.

• MH81 and tinner have said thanks

#28 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 09:46 PM

That stuff looks great Troy! You're really moving along with that project!

#29 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 07:55 AM

Troy,
You would be surprised with the 3m double stick tape (the automotive stuff anyway).Thats what they use on automotive moldings,also the window rain gaurds.The only thing i would worry about would be trying to remove it and damaging the hood.Just my opinion but i would bolt it to the hood.

It's looking good so far.Can't wait to see it completed and mounted. :thumbs: :thumbs:

#30 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 07:36 PM

Just a quick update on the fogger. I wet sanded the tank one last time, in order to give it a coat of clear. After letting the tank dry for a couple of hours in the sun, I applied the first coat of clear, and about ten minutes later, my white coat cracked all over the place. I don't know what happened, maybe I used the wrong type of paint? I used Rustoleum white spray paint, which is enamel paint, and the clear that I used was also rustoleum enamel, so I'm not sure why it cracked, but I ended up stripping the tank again, and starting all over. This time though, there will not be any clear coat applied. Might any of you ever had the same results, or know what I might have done wrong?