• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:19 PM

Al, I really like the way you are doing the garden this year. I think after you get the grass ways going good between the rows, your garden is going to look great. :thumbs:
  • Alc said thank you

#32 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:28 PM

I looked last night and I already have tomatos on my vines.

#33 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 03:12 PM

So far so good . Some things are planted and today I cut down some of the rye growing between the beds with the DB.

Attached Thumbnails

• P5180585.JPG

#34 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 03:57 PM

So far so good . Some things are planted and today I cut down some of the rye growing between the beds with the DB.

Al, I think your garden is going to do very well and you will have a lot less weeding then in a regular garden. Looking very nice.. :thumbs:
  • Alc said thank you

#35 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 12:22 AM

Hey Alc your gardens looking great!!! Are the tee-pee poles set up for beans, or?

#36 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 08:41 PM

The " A" frame set-up is going to be for tomatoes , I got the idea from this post , http://gardentractor...-trellis-ideas/ , , changed it a little by using 2 rows of tomatoes instead of one . tried using nylon netting for about 1/2 of it and didn't have enough for all so I just laid some cut off branches up on an angle from the ground to the top board , tying as they grew That ended up easier to use and take down .

#37 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 11:14 AM

I didn't realized that cutting down the cereal rye would take so long to regrow .Here's a picture taken today and it didn't grow much since being cut 2 weeks ago ,we had pretty nice rain and warmth so don't believe that was the problem . There are some weeds growing into it because it's not very tall & full . Maybe next time I'll try not cutting as much off . Having wide beds came in handy when I used the wheelbarrow to spread grass clippings and compost around the tomatoes ( trying to see which works better on the tomatoes grass or compost did half and half ) Al

Attached Thumbnails

• P5270601.JPG

#38 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 01:52 PM

Al, We use mulch, but am interested to see how the grass does. Great job on the garden, looks good!! :thumbs:
  • Alc said thank you

#39 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 08:17 PM

Al, your garden looks great. Seems every time I turn my back for a day mine goes wild.I have been using grass clippings as a mulch with decent results. The nicest part is being able to pick after a rain and not be ankle deep in mud. Sure helps retain moisture content in a dry year.
  • Alc said thank you

#40 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 05:58 AM

After almost a whole season with the with the wide grass between I enjoyed the concept but the rye didn't hold up to foot traffic at all . I wasn't that much a problem because I just used the push mower to keep the weeds down . I went to the local farm store to pick up the rye for this year's cover crop and told the man what I was doing as far a grass walk ways and he suggested planting the rye like before but when it comes time to make the grass walkways in spring use annual rye grass that dies in cold , this way it would still provide a easy to keep walking area just for the growing season . Not sure how I will be able to plant walkways in the tilled up garden maybe some plywood or cardboard while sowing the seeds , Al

#41 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 07:25 AM

That sounds like a plan. :thumbs:

#42 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 09:27 AM

As far as planting potatoes, has anyone ever done the stacking tire method? I was told, that in small confined spaces, if you plant potatoes, you can place a tire around the plant after it has broke ground, and then fill the tire with dirt. When the plant breaks ground again, place another tire on top of the first one, and fill it with dirt. Keep using this method for about four tires high. When the time comes for harvest, simply remove tires as needed. Each level of tires will supposedly have potatoes. I'm curious to see if this method actually works, and if anybody had success?

I didn't use tires but i have used wooden boxes, same idea and it worked fantastic as long as you don't mind having all the dirt to fill em..

Casey I knew you were not making fun of Al. My point is Gardening is alot like panning for gold. You can scoop a ton of sand and find one nugget or maybe a few flakes of gold. If we share enough ideas, and one idea sticks we are all way ahead.

Trial and error.. Seems im good at the error with everything but spuds.. smallest hill this year was 16.7 lbs 44 hills dug and 7 to go..

I added a double row of bush beans along 4 rows of potatoes , 3 rows are from seed potatoes but the row closest to the beans are from potatoes that where dug up and planted last Oct. , through the years I would find potatoes growing from ones I missed the year before so I wanted to see what would happen if I planted them on propose and almost all sprouted this year The close-up is one of the plants , Al

Your garden looks fantastic to me.. Thanks for sharing your ideas and trials..

After almost a whole season with the with the wide grass between I enjoyed the concept but the rye didn't hold up to foot traffic at all . I wasn't that much a problem because I just used the push mower to keep the weeds down . I went to the local farm store to pick up the rye for this year's cover crop and told the man what I was doing as far a grass walk ways and he suggested planting the rye like before but when it comes time to make the grass walkways in spring use annual rye grass that dies in cold , this way it would still provide a easy to keep walking area just for the growing season . Not sure how I will be able to plant walkways in the tilled up garden maybe some plywood or cardboard while sowing the seeds , Al

How did you plant it the first time? I have a small broad cast seeder and a big one.. But sadly no drop seeder. Did you plant the rye extra heavy or as suggested? I am really interested in trying this cover crop idea as i do not have enough grass clippings for a mulch walk way..

#43 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 09:05 PM

Just used a small handheld grass seeder and planted heavy . This year I have the DB spike tooth harrow to put "lines" in the dirt , then after seeding , used the back sid of a rake to get the seeds into the grooves , also have a DB harrow-packer that I might try . I cut the sorgrahm grass and now the winter rye planted . I'll be doing the rest of the garden as it gets cleared of plants , still picking ! Al
  • Team_Green said thank you