Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 05:53 AM

Casey , you nailed all my tractors but you havn't been reading GTtalk enough , just bought a DB walk behind on Sat. . Lets see I'm 53 so I wouldn't be getting another tractor until around 80 years old :) Al
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 08:07 AM

I wasn't making fun of Al, just poking a little fun at him. He is a smart man, and he is one of few of us... that hasn't expanded his tractor fleet past what he needs in it... which is 4 or 5 machines. I think even I can name them off!! lol. He also claims that he is nothing like us because the last tractor he got was 15-20 years ago lol. I told him he was probably smarter because all of his actually work LOL.

For amusement:
PK with tiller, PK with FEL, DB Tri-Trac passed down, JD 318 with a repower, and a Ford with backhoe and FEL.

Casey I knew you were not making fun of Al. My point is Gardening is alot like panning for gold. You can scoop a ton of sand and find one nugget or maybe a few flakes of gold. If we share enough ideas, and one idea sticks we are all way ahead.

#18 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Tilled my planting beds from the area I cut with the DB on Sat. , didn't make the garden too square because the spacing was supposed to be 4' row with 3' walkway , worked out fine for one end but not the other so the last bed went from about 6' wide to 4' at the other end , oh well , I'll till it once more before planting to kill off the winter rye ,Al

Attached Thumbnails

• P4240540.JPG
  • P4240541.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#19 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Looks great Al. The DB looks to be doing exactly what you wanted it to. Very nice looking garden.
  • Alc said thank you

#20 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 07:13 PM

That looks great AL! Glad your DB is working out well for you. :thumbs:
  • Alc said thank you

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 07:32 PM

Casey , you nailed all my tractors but you havn't been reading GTtalk enough , just bought a DB walk behind on Sat. . Lets see I'm 53 so I wouldn't be getting another tractor until around 80 years old :) Al

Al,

I didn't realize it was your thread while on Tapatalk... lol. I really didn't expect something like this to happen with you, and it only did with your wife's persuation lol.

#22 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 08:22 PM

Casey ,you know who controls the $$$$ at my house and it's not me , :spanka:

#23 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Looks great Al. The DB looks to be doing exactly what you wanted it to

That looks great AL! Glad your DB is working out well for you.

Thanks guys , only used that DB for that little area and it seems to be just the ticket for making the mulch and cutting between the beds , it will be easier in the other garden spot too.Can't wait to sharpen the blades and use it again , Al

#24 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 10:26 AM

I really like that layout Al! Sure would be nice to have nice grassy walkways so you don't have to wade in the mud to work in the garden.
  • Alc said thank you

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 09:39 AM

Tilled my planting beds from the area I cut with the DB on Sat. , didn't make the garden too square because the spacing was supposed to be 4' row with 3' walkway , worked out fine for one end but not the other so the last bed went from about 6' wide to 4' at the other end , oh well , I'll till it once more before planting to kill off the winter rye ,Al

Well I just looked at those pictures again, and am I ever jealous! Beside Having nice flat ground to garden (Mines all hill) Al has the ideal potato digger/Backhoe out by the back fence.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 30, 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#26 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 08:00 AM

Did some reading about the rye I planted ( always read the instruction after you do stuff :) ) What I planted was cereal rye , it will keep growing like a grass unless you cut it down after the " flowering stage " guess thats right after the seeds are formed but not mature enough for the seeds to reproudce , then the plant will die off . That should work out fine because it will give me grass walkways then a head start in fall when I reseed the whole garden . It also looks like it doesn't spread by the roots which would be a real pain keeping it out of the planting areas . If it works ? we'll see , Al

#27 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 08:13 AM

That sounds like the kind you would want then, right? I hope it works out. Those walkways look nice in the garden.
  • Alc said thank you

#28 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 10:30 PM

Looks pro Al !!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 11:33 PM

I added a double row of bush beans along 4 rows of potatoes , 3 rows are from seed potatoes but the row closest to the beans are from potatoes that where dug up and planted last Oct. , through the years I would find potatoes growing from ones I missed the year before so I wanted to see what would happen if I planted them on propose and almost all sprouted this year The close-up is one of the plants , Al

Attached Thumbnails

• P5100562.JPG
  • P5100563.JPG

• Team_Green said thank you

#30 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 01:46 PM

Looking good Al!! I stopped at my parents Friday morning on the way to a doctors appointment.
Dad said he had a few potatoes that had sprouted and he wondered if they would grow. I told him I was sure they would I had planted them many times in the past. So I called him when I got home and he came out and we planted 20 hills Friday afternoon.
I told him he could expect about 60 lbs yeild( I figure an average of 3 lbs per hill).
I have to hill the 3 1/2 rows I planted Good Friday, this week.
I'm not the least bit afraid of planting potatoes, that are not certified seed.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 14, 2012 - 01:48 PM.