Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 09:08 PM

I planted a cover crop of rye last fall and instead of plowing the whole garden then tilling I'm leaving strips of rye in between wide rows , I cut a section of rye with a scythe , ( I'm sure I wasn't using it correctly ) then with a weed wacker to get it close to the ground , then tilled . I'm going to make a wide row of potatoes , thinking 3 rows spaced 12" apart . I'll use the next cutting of rye to mulch the potatoes when they start growing .

Attached Thumbnails

• P4100495.JPG
  • P4100496.JPG
  • P4100497.JPG
  • P4100499.JPG
  • P4100498.JPG

#2 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 10:12 PM

You do what you want ,but around here rye is on the obnoxious weed list. Once started, it is next to impossible to get rid of in truck crops, the sprays that kill it , kill vegtables and the carry over can hurt for years. Especially in strawberries, last fall we seeded an acre of spinach and the rye came in that fast ,it choked it out . We never cut a leaf of spinach.
Sweet corn and potatoes can take more weed spray and we rotate with wheat ground, so if you want to use it as a cover crop, turn it under and don't let any go to seed. Again, just my two cents
  • Alc said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 05:37 AM

Hope I'm not making more work for myself if it spreads like that . I thought this was a plant that spread by seeds and if I cut it before it went to seed it would be contained . Thanks , Al

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 09:40 AM

Looks good Alc! I'll be following this to see how it produces for you.
I like the concept with the one exception of the Scythe. As A kid my brothers and I developed many innovative ways to break them since dad thought we should run them?
As for the Rye, it is one of the most often reccomended cover crops in all the Organic books and publications.
There are many kinds out there. I think as a green Manure crop Anual Rye is what is reccomended since it grows one year and dies. The perennial varieties are the ones that come back year after year.
I once sowed perrinial Rye an 2 acres that was a weed patch and it made for a good inexpensive pasture.
My garden was in that area and it did encroach for a year or two and then I got it whipped.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Got most of the potatoes planted , have Vikings to pick up at the farm store yet . Anyway , made 3 rows with the high wheel cultivator dropped the seed potatoes about 12" apart then covered with compost . I'll put more compost and mulch as the start growing . Al

Attached Thumbnails

• P4120500.JPG

#6 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 09:45 PM

Sure is looking good Al. You certainly seem to have a green thumb unlike some of us folks that have problems growing just about anything. But we are going to try again this year.

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 10:34 PM

Sure is looking good Al. You certainly seem to have a green thumb unlike some of us folks that have problems growing just about anything. But we are going to try again this year.

I hear that Grand! I've started my garden this year, my "new" method for potatoes may work ok, but every Yukon gold I planted ended up rotting in the ground. The reds sprouted at about an 80% rate though, so I went back and planted Reds where the Golds failed to come up. My corn, Dad alway said plant 3 seeds per hill, I alway seemed to have all three seeds sprout, then you have to thin, so I planted just two seeds per hill, seems like few of them have sprouted thus far. Might till up what didn't come in well and try again, I've got all summer. Plus I think even with the warm weather, I may have rushed things as far as ground temp.

Alc, looks like you are off to a great start!

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 02:25 PM

As far as planting potatoes, has anyone ever done the stacking tire method? I was told, that in small confined spaces, if you plant potatoes, you can place a tire around the plant after it has broke ground, and then fill the tire with dirt. When the plant breaks ground again, place another tire on top of the first one, and fill it with dirt. Keep using this method for about four tires high. When the time comes for harvest, simply remove tires as needed. Each level of tires will supposedly have potatoes. I'm curious to see if this method actually works, and if anybody had success?

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 22, 2012 - 02:26 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, Toolpartzman and 1 other said thanks

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 02:33 PM

Looks good Al, I will be watching to see how it works for you.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 03:50 PM

I've never used the tire stack method, though know some with limited sapce that have and it worked well. I would sure try it if I were limited for space. I'm not limited for space so have always planted my potatoes in the conventional way.
I have Yukon Gold, Red Pontiac and the standby reliable producer Kennebec. And for the first time this year am planting some Russets.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 04:45 PM

I was up at Al's last year and I have to say, his gardening methods are over my head LOL. Al has a little greenhouse box on his porch to start out his crops lol.

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:47 PM

I was up at Al's last year and I have to say, his gardening methods are over my head LOL. Al has a little greenhouse box on his porch to start out his crops lol.

Well Casey Al has a lot of ideas and I apreciate his sharing. I've been gardening for 40 years(50 if you count the time my parents considered it part of my chores). And will be the first to tell anyone I don't know much. I m" willing to try anything and like sharing ideas.
as the song goes," Sometimes your the Bug, sometimes your thr windshield"
B ut you have to keep moving for either to be.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 22, 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Well Casey Al has a lot of ideas and I apreciate his sharing. I've been gardening for 40 years(50 if you count the time my parents considered it part of my chores). And will be the first to tell anyone I don't know much. I m" willing to try anything and like sharing ideas.
as the song goes," Sometimes your the Bug, sometimes your thr windshield"
B ut you have to keep moving for either to be.

That's so true! I'm the same way. Even with things I know allot about, I am always open to new ideas, and I will never act like or claim that I know everything. That is what also makes doing things fun, it's a constant learning process.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 10:11 PM

My corn, Dad alway said plant 3 seeds per hill, I alway seemed to have all three seeds sprout, then you have to thin, so I planted just two seeds per hill,

When I was a kid helping with Dad's garden, we always planted 2 seeds per hill. Now, with corn having so much better germination rates, I put a single seed per hill.

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 12:27 AM

I wasn't making fun of Al, just poking a little fun at him. He is a smart man, and he is one of few of us... that hasn't expanded his tractor fleet past what he needs in it... which is 4 or 5 machines. I think even I can name them off!! lol. He also claims that he is nothing like us because the last tractor he got was 15-20 years ago lol. I told him he was probably smarter because all of his actually work LOL.

For amusement:
PK with tiller, PK with FEL, DB Tri-Trac passed down, JD 318 with a repower, and a Ford with backhoe and FEL.