• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hagerooski OFFLINE  

Hagerooski
  • Member No: 9438
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Howdy all. Hagerooski here and I'm new to GTtalk. I have been reviewing the Gilson MW posts and wanted to start a new thread on my rig. It's a Gilson 16hp Hydrostatic electric with a Briggs and Stratton opposing 2 cylinder. I have a 48 inch mower deck and a single stage snow blower. This rig was given to me by my brother about a year and a half ago. I used it the first winter on my new property (5 acres) to snow blow but found the single stage does not handle wet snow well at all. the mower deck has not been used as it has a rusted out spindle mount and is missing some other parts as well. I would like to bring this rig back into dependable working order and would like to add some additional attachments if I can locate and obtain (i.e., rototiller, front blade, belly blade, front loader, and any other options that were available or will adapt).

I would like to start with some assist on identifying what I have here and then work at obtaining manuals appropriate for maintenance / repair. This tractor runs well once started, but requires some ether in the air cleaner to get it going. Once running and warmed up she continues running and will re-start fine. There is a hydrolic leak in one of the lines which will be an easy fix.

Anyway, I've learned some from the threads already posted on the Gilson/MW tractors and will appreciate any help I can get with my questions.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-04-11_tractorengineid.jpg
  • 2012-04-11_tractormodelandserial.jpg
  • 2012-04-11_tractorquarterviewleftfront.jpg
  • 2012-04-11_tractorrightsideview.jpg
  • 2012-04-11_tractorviewdashclear.jpg
  • 2012-04-11_tractorviewhydrostaticdrive.jpg
  • 2012-04-11_tractorviewrightseatup.jpg
  • 2012-04-11_mowerdeck_decal.jpg
  • 2012-04-11_mowerdeckidtag.jpg
  • 2012-04-11_mowerdecktopview.jpg
  • 2012-04-11_mowerdeckunderside.jpg
  • 2012-04-11_tractorrearview.jpg
  • 2012-04-11mowerdeck_spindle.jpg

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 05:06 AM

Welcome to GTTalk! That's a very nice tractor you have there. Take some time to look through the forum and have a look at our manuals section for information on your tractor. It is probably in need of a tuneup which would help with your starting problems. Maybe you could tell us what you have done so far and I'm sure you will get some advice on how to proceed.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 07:09 AM

Welcome to the forum! Good looking Gilson. Best of luck getting things sorted out. I agree on the tuneup.

#4 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 09:55 PM

:welcometogttalk:
Looks like your tractor is in sound condition. Generally I have found that the single stage blowers with handle anything you feed them but I have not used one with the large center drum like yours. Doesn't look like it leaves much auger flighting to carry the snow to the center.
From the photos your deck doesn't look that bad. If you can find a spindle it shouldn't take much to get it going again.
Good luck and thanks for the photos.

#5 Hagerooski OFFLINE  

Hagerooski
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 06:28 AM

Well I've got three steering issue solved. Re-set the l linking between the steering gears and adjusted the linkage and now have Abbott equal turn radius left and right. Next I'll replace a leaking hydraulic line and change filter and hydro fluid. Also doing oil,, filters and plugs on motor and some carb adjustments per the manual I downloaded from GTT.

#6 Hagerooski OFFLINE  

Hagerooski
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 06:33 AM

Can anyone assist with identifying the year of my tractor?

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 07:13 AM

According to the engine code, the engine was built in Jan, 1980 if I read this chart correctly:
http://gardentractor...mbering-system/

#8 Hagerooski OFFLINE  

Hagerooski
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 02:35 PM

I had to replace a hydraulic line on my 53050 and need to know what type fluid to refill my hydrostatic unit with.Can any one help me out?

#9 massey 16 OFFLINE  

massey 16
  • Member No: 33855
  • 4 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 06:40 AM

My tractor is older but mine took dextron atf fluid