• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#16 themayor70 OFFLINE  

themayor70

• Member No: 8484
  • 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 05:56 PM

I have the original engine and just got done painting it and reinstalled it with the motor mounts and the 42 in pto belts are fine but the drive belts I took off are quite a bit smaller and look like they be about a 30 inch compared to the 34 inch I put on are way too big even with the idler pulley against them. Also what is the length of the starter pulley, I'd like to get a spare one of those too. Thanks for your quick replies, I appreciate it.

#17 themayor70 OFFLINE  

themayor70

• 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 05:57 PM

Oops, I ment starter belt, not pulley

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Oops, I ment starter belt, not pulley

The starter belts were 32''(In Bolens size)'
A regular 32'' v belt does not work too well
  • themayor70 said thank you

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 06:04 PM

Are you using the right Idler pulley?
Something is definitely not right that the 34'' belt is too long.

#20 themayor70 OFFLINE  

themayor70

• 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 07:38 PM

I was looking at the Goodyear belt link mentioned back a few posts and they list all the 1256 model drive belts taking an A28 drive belt and the 1050 using an A32 so if the numbers are designating the length then I'd need a 28 inch... I still ain't finding much by googling it. I'll have to take my belt into town next week and have them mesure it and Monday try the 32 inch belts on my 1050 and see if they fit on that.. it looks like they will won't have time till next week to work on it. Maybe the driveshaft pulley is smaller for the hydrostatic trans? And also my parts manual lists it as a 34 inch too. I had double checked that as a reference too before I ordered them.. sure has me puzzeled.. I have some pictures of my tractors if you would like to look at them.

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 07:53 PM

I would love to see some pics of your tractor when you have a chance

Not all cross reference company's have accurate information as I have found out for myself....

#22 themayor70 OFFLINE  

themayor70

• 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 08:36 PM

I am new to this forum and this is the first time I've ever posted in any forum so bear with me. I posted some pictures of both my tractors and updated my info last week so if you go to my profile there is some info on me and my gallery has the pics. I've restored old cars but I'm more of a bodyman than a mechanic and just got these tractors this year... might be in a little over my head but enjoying it for the most part. Thanks again and I'll update as soon as I get it figured out. The 1256 had all original paint and going by that it looks like all the mechanical parts are all original too. The model number tag was damaged so the model is an 02 to an 07, and I only know that because I saw the tire size is bigger on the 02. Still learnin ;~)

#23 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,177 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:01 AM

There can be much confusion when buying belts because there are several methods for labeling and measuring belts.

The most common measurement for belts is the Nominal Outside Length specified in inches. ....Some automotive belts have metric dimensions and different angles to the shape of the belt, and are not correct for most lawn and garden equipment.

There are 4 basic types of V-belts used most commonly on Lawn and Garden equipment:

FHP (Fractional Horsepower) are for low hp applications and are designated by 3L, 4L, or 5L numbers. ....The 3L belts have a top width of 3/8", the 4L belts have a top width of 1/2", and the 5L belts have a top width of 21/32". .....The first 2 numbers which follow the "L" indicate the nominal outside length of the belt in inches. ....Example: 4L340 is a 1/2" x 34" belt.

A, B, and C Belts are for medium hp applications and have longer life expectancy than FHP belts. ...."A" belts have a top width of 1/2", "B" belts have a top width of 21/32", and "C" belts have a top width of 7/8". ......These types of belts have a confusing measuring system.

The "A" belts are labelled with a number that is 2" less than the nominal outside length of the belt. ...Examples: an A32 belt measures 34", and an A34 belt measures 36", etc.

The "B" belts are labelled with a number that is 3" lessthan the nominal outside length of the belt. ...Examples: a B32 belt measures 35", and a B35 belt measures 38", etc.

The "C" belts are labelled with a number that is 4" less than the nominal outside length of the belt. ....Examples: a C38 belt measures 42", and a C42 belt measures 46", etc.

Cogged AX, BX, CX belts usually have raw edges which have a more agressive grip and are less prone to slippage than belts with their sides wrapped. ....Cogged belts run cooler, are more flexible than other types, and should be used for a small diameter pulley. ....These belts are for medium to high hp applications.
...."AX" belts have a top width of 1/2", "BX" belts have a top width of 21/32", and "CX" belts have a top width of 7/8".

" AX" belts are labelled with a number that is 2" less than the nominal outside length of the belt. ...Examples: an AX32 belt measures 34", and an AX34 belt measures 36", etc.

The "BX" belts are labelled with a number that is 3" lessthan the nominal outside length of the belt. ...Examples: a BX32 belt measures 35", and a BX35 belt measures 38", etc.

The "CX" belts are labelled with a number that is 4" less than the nominal outside length of the belt. ....Examples: a CX51 belt measures 55", and a CX105 belt measures 109", etc.

3V, 3VX, 5VX belts have a deeper cross-section than 3L or 5L belts. ....3V and 3VX belts have a top width of 3/8". ...5VX belts have a 5/8" top width. .....3VX and 5VX belts are cogged, usually have raw edges, and transfer more horsepower than AX, BX, or CX belts, and are suitable for high hp applications.

3V and 3VX and 5VX belts are labelled with numbers that indicate the nominal outside length in xx.x" or xxx.x". Examples: a 3V315 belt measures measures 31.5", a 3VX375 belt measures 37.5", a 3VX400 belt measures 40", a 5X730 measures 73", and a 5VX1400 measures 140".

In addition to the belts described above, there are also specialty belts used by various manufacturers. ....Some belts are flat cogged timing belts, others have a hex cross-section, some are banded, while others are made to a non-standard length. .....Sometimes the specialty belts are used to fulfill a special need. ...Other times, the non-standard sizes are to get you to buy belts from the equipment manufacturer.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, March 10, 2012 - 12:46 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Trent Thomson, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#24 themayor70 OFFLINE  

themayor70

• 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 11:32 AM

Thank you for your last post!!! That is just what I was looking for! I had no idea there were so many different kinds of belts. You have been so much help. I didn't join the forum because I knew it all... quite the opposite. I have alot to learn. So my PIX blue kevlar belt number is is A32K.. k is kevlar I'm assuming, and below that is says 1/2 x 34. My front pulley on my 1050 kept coming loose so I pulled that off yesterday and it was cracked but I just happened to have a spare motor for it so pulled that flywheel off. Then the rear pulley was way out of alignment.. turns out it was loose and and I couldn't tighten the allen screw but I just happened to have a spare pulley for that too. It looks like my kevlar drive belt will fit so maybe I'll have that one back together in a couple hours. Then I'll get back to the 1256, take the old drive belts into town and have them measured. Northern tools belts were $5.99 and the 42" was $7.99.. about the same price as black belts in town, and $4.99 shipping for 6 belts and got them in two days. Thanks again.. I really appreciate it! Spent about an hours looking at all your Bolens.. you have quite a fleet there!

#25 themayor70 OFFLINE  

themayor70

• 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 11:34 AM

Oops again.. that was "Bolens 1000's" Bolens I looked at last night..

#26 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yeah the K stands for Kevlar
I'm a little weary about those belts you can get for 4.99.... I'm almost willing to bet those are FHP belts and not power rated.
Usually good quality belts cost around 30.00 for the set for the 34'' ones.

#27 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 07:53 PM

here are the good year part numbers ... make sure there insta power / green seal belts that are kevlar
ScannedImage.jpg ScannedImage-2.jpg
cheers 8tyman8

Edited by 8tyman8, March 10, 2012 - 07:53 PM.

• themayor70 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#28 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Note:

I found out Bolens did use 30'' Belts on some of their Hydrostatic Tubeframe's, but in the parts list it states them as 34'' but that is an error.

The part number for those belts is: 1720573 (matched set)

#29 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 10:36 PM

Yeah the K stands for Kevlar
I'm a little weary about those belts you can get for 4.99.... I'm almost willing to bet those are FHP belts and not power rated.
Usually good quality belts cost around 30.00 for the set for the 34'' ones.

i was looking on the nte site and there kevlar but .. you will probobly get what you pay for i will tell you it not worth being stranded some where

#30 themayor70 OFFLINE  

themayor70

• 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Well glad to hear they also used 30" belts.. thought I was going a little crazy ... especially after working on my 1050.. replaced the front flywheel that was cracked and was going to put the belts I had for the 1256 on the 1050.. the pto belts are so loose you can squeeze em together and they touch and still aren't tight.. that can't be right? seemed like the right length on the 1256.. they are A40K belts and also says on the belts, A40K/4L420K... 1/2"X42".. K meaning kevlar.. this belt thing has really been taking the fun out of working on my projects... didn't even try the drive belts since the pto belts have to go on first and have to take some more apart to install the drive belts but they look the same length as one I had left when I replaced them earlier, and wanted to solve the pto problem first.. wish I lived in town so I could quick grab one a couple inches smaller and see if it works..
Really have been getting a good education on belts from you guys and really appreciate it. Want to get the 1050 together again and try putting the tiller on and do a couple neighbors gardens in a few weeks.. Thanks again and any suggetions?