5 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 10:47 PM

hello there is a guy i know that has a ford 1200 tractor for sale well its diesel 4x4 with turf tires it has a perkins /siwi something or another the crank broke i cant find a crank and i bet it will be around $700 if i find a crank he is asking $500 for the tractor but living in the suburbs i dont know if it would be worth having a big tractor if i had a 4x4 garden tractor i would be set but is 500 worth it also does any one know where i can find a crank ?
cheers
8tyman8

#2 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 12:03 AM

The Ford 1200 had a Shibaura japanese diesel engine, not a perkins. It is a 2 cylinder 15 horse (13 at the pto) engine. Not sure what other applications this engine was used in, but if it is a less commonly used engine, it MAY be hard to find a crank or other parts. Also, I would be concerned about what OTHER damage was done when the crank broke....

These are not true "Ford built" tractors, but rebadged Japanese tractors along the lines of Yanmars, Satohs, or Mitsubishis - Not saying that is good or bad, just be aware of what you are getting. Weight on these was about 1200 lbs, so it is a heavy GT more than a light CUT. I had a Satoh Beaver for a while - it didn't have enough weight to use the traction or power (3 pt lift) it had. And parts may be hard to find....

"Projects" like this usually require a certain type of owner. If you are good with tools and can do most of the work yourself, if you are good at chasing down hard to find parts, if you have plenty of time to invest, if you are willing to gamble on getting it back together and running, if you can adapt/fabricate to make up for unobtainable parts, if you are willing to spend more in the long run than the machine is worth, or if you "just have to have a Ford 1200", this may be for you! If the journey is more important than the destination, this may be for you. If you are just looking to save a few bucks by buying "in kit form" and want a running tractor asap, I would look elsewhere.....

What do you want to do with it? Depending on your needs, a good used (running) gas engine Deere/Ford/Jacobson/XXX may be a better deal for you. Especially if you consider what you will have in the 1200 once you get it running - a good used gas GT may be a better deal for you for the same amount of money. A diesel is cool to have and all, but for most people a gas GT is a lot more practical/affordable. Same with the 4x4 -especially if you "live in the suburbs". 4x4 adds complexity ($$$)if you don't need the traction.
In the end, you are the only one who can say if it is a good deal for you.Give us more info and we can help spend your money for you!!!

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 08:41 AM

That is really the minimum size tractor I want to maintain my 8.9 acres(doing it now with two garden tractors). at 15 hp the 1200 would pull a 48" 3 point mounted Rotary mower.
Since I want to develop my property into a Market Garden for retirement I really think a 30 HP machine would be ideal.
I would not be very afraid of a Ford Cut, due to Ford's aquisition By New Holland would think parts could be found through New Holland Dealers.
Like Tennblue said, if your a gearhead and like scrounging for parts it might suit you.

I went to Tracor House, (My favorite source for used tractor values) and did not find a model 1200 listed for sale.
However in good shape, the 1210's were priced between $2,600 & $10,000, 1215's $5400 -$7956 and 1220's $4,900-$5995.

I would reccomend looking it over good, to determine what besides the engine needs work and decide if you can repair it and not have more invested than you could buy a good working machine for.

Another thing to consider if there is demand in your area, I would think it would part out for more than $500.
I would think the transmition alone would bring that.

Keep us up on the progrees with this!

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 11, 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#4 Blown331 OFFLINE  

Blown331
  • Member No: 9428
  • 5 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 09:32 AM

Maybe think about a 801 series Ford. I think they would be good for your needs. They are a lot less money and they are great tractors.

Edited by Blown331, April 11, 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#5 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 09:59 PM

The Ford 1200 had a Shibaura japanese diesel engine, not a perkins. It is a 2 cylinder 15 horse (13 at the pto) engine. Not sure what other applications this engine was used in, but if it is a less commonly used engine, it MAY be hard to find a crank or other parts. Also, I would be concerned about what OTHER damage was done when the crank broke....

These are not true "Ford built" tractors, but rebadged Japanese tractors along the lines of Yanmars, Satohs, or Mitsubishis - Not saying that is good or bad, just be aware of what you are getting. Weight on these was about 1200 lbs, so it is a heavy GT more than a light CUT. I had a Satoh Beaver for a while - it didn't have enough weight to use the traction or power (3 pt lift) it had. And parts may be hard to find....

"Projects" like this usually require a certain type of owner. If you are good with tools and can do most of the work yourself, if you are good at chasing down hard to find parts, if you have plenty of time to invest, if you are willing to gamble on getting it back together and running, if you can adapt/fabricate to make up for unobtainable parts, if you are willing to spend more in the long run than the machine is worth, or if you "just have to have a Ford 1200", this may be for you! If the journey is more important than the destination, this may be for you. If you are just looking to save a few bucks by buying "in kit form" and want a running tractor asap, I would look elsewhere.....

What do you want to do with it? Depending on your needs, a good used (running) gas engine Deere/Ford/Jacobson/XXX may be a better deal for you. Especially if you consider what you will have in the 1200 once you get it running - a good used gas GT may be a better deal for you for the same amount of money. A diesel is cool to have and all, but for most people a gas GT is a lot more practical/affordable. Same with the 4x4 -especially if you "live in the suburbs". 4x4 adds complexity ($$$)if you don't need the traction.
In the end, you are the only one who can say if it is a good deal for you.Give us more info and we can help spend your money for you!!!

i would like it for the winter i have 7 bolens garden tractors now but i would LIKE but not need 4x4 i have a kohler 20 hp here so i may do a repower i might offer him $300 i will see

#6 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 12:33 AM

Want to weigh in on this again. Biggest question (beyond a hobby purchase) is what do you need to do with this tractor?

I have several GT's, also have a CUT (Deere 2320), and construction equipment (skidsteer and mini-excavator). The GT's are mostly hobby and light use. The CUT will run circles around the GT's. Not a lot more horsepower, but bigger tires, more weight, more torque, larger platform, better hydraulics, etc gets work done faster.

The skidsteer and excavator are another step up in performance. For what they do, they outperform the smaller tractors and CUT's.

I cut the yard (not the fields) with a GT, and use it to pull a cart and other tasks - love the size and agility of it. But plowing (large plots), field cutting (8+ acres), log skidding, and heavy tasks, I use the bigger tools.

I think at some point you have to scale up (or down) your equipment based on your tasks or the amount of ground you deal with. I could cut 10 acres of hay with a GT (some of you do...), but I prefer to use the CUT. Having a CUT for 1/2 acre of yard would be overkill.....

So back to the original question... For larger tracts or tasks, I would consider a full size tractor - their market is similar to the GT market - lots of models, features and price levels. The 1200 would be considered a CUT, a small one though. If going full size, would go bigger than the 1200...

Like Jd Dannels said though, at $3-500, you could probobly get your money back parting it out worst case.