• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hey guys,, I was just trying to get my plans all set up before I start restoreing my Ford 195,,, An I was wanting to see how ya'll mite feel about stuff as I go along with it,, I was thinking about customizeing my muffler,, It is on the inside of my side covers an with the hood cover an it sure builds up alot of heat,, I was thinking about bringing the pipes (which will be 2 of them) out thru the front where ya can put headlights in,, Bring em out an turn em up about 18 inches or more then put a set of them flops on em but wont have any mufflers on em,, Or would it be better to put mufflers on them ?? If it won't hurt to not put mufflers on em then I don't think I will,, Here is a pic of the front of my 195 for now,,,An do ya'll mite think that I should just leave it like it is,, I was just trying to make er look an sound a lil tougher,I would really like to do things to er to do it for the looks,,,, Thanks ya'll an hope to hear from ya,,,,

Attached Thumbnails

• Front of 195.jpg

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 09:33 PM

I can understand wanting to get the exhaust out from under the hood for sure, but the further forward it exits, the higher you'll have to go to get it out of your face when you're riding. That's just something to keep in mind as you go along. Another consideration is will you be able to open the hood with them mounted there. I'm not familiar with the Fords, but no muffler should be OK as long as the pipes aren't way too big. One last thing is to be sure that they're supported well so that they don't put undue stress on the block, and the taller they are, the more stress there will be from vibration and motion as you drive.
  • Russ said thank you

#3 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 12:19 AM

Most engines breath better with some back pressure, but not too much. For example, Harley motorcycles actually make LESS power with straight (open) pipes than with a good low restriction exhaust system/muffler.

I have a neighbor who builds engines for racing karts - they rarely use open pipes, but will use high flow glas packs or tuned exhaust systems with more volume than the standard systems used on our motors.

+1 on bracing the up-stacks if you use them- the kohler tends to shake a little,and there will be a lot of torque on the stack mounting flange as the stacks flail around on that vibrating motor. And turning them up like that will put the sound in your face- fun for a few minutes, but it gets old if you spend a lot of seat time on the machine, especially if there are no mufflers.... And they may foul on low branches or such. I would be more tempted to turn them down under the tractor myself.....
  • Russ said thank you

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 08:11 AM

Well it is your machine and you can do whatever you want with it. I have liked Custom ever since Hot Rod and Rod & Custom were in a 5"X8" pocket magazine format (late 50's early 60's)
. But think about this, How many old Farmers, that ran the old John Deere two cylinders can hear anything you say at a level below yelling?? Loud may sound cool but will damage your hearing. I know it has mine.
I also believe based on experience, Loud adds to fatigue after hours of sitting on a machine. It may have taken me 60 yrs to figue out that Quiet is really cool.
Like Tennblue59, I prefer to have the pipes turned down. For one thing try mowing under trees with stacks that catch on tree limbs.
Secondly, the exhaust in your face can't be good for you.
The only drawback to the turned down exhaust is you need to have a good spark arrestor, so when the motor belches out a burning chunk of carbon it does not catch grass or brush on fire. Trust me on this Cool is not Cool when you have to call the fire Department out to put out a burnig cornfield that you started with your garden tractor exhaust. ( Don't Ask!).
  • Russ said thank you

#5 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Olcowhand built a nice muffler for my ford lgt 165, It has a stack that exits at the top of the side panel. The side panel is notched for the pipe. It still has the muffler under the hood though.
Posted Image
Posted Image
here is his build thread:
http://gardentractor...r-from-scratch/
  • Russ said thank you

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 05:32 PM

I second the noise issue as well! I Always wear hearing protection when I'm running my equipment for any length of time! I also second the idea that it contributes to the fatigue after an extended period...even with the hearing protection! Low frequency sounds carry a great deal more energy than their high frequency counterparts and can wreak havok on the human body! The solution is to point the noise away from you. This will not completely eliminate the problem, but it will reduce the effects some.

...Trust me on this Cool is not Cool when you have to call the fire Department out to put out a burnig cornfield that you started with your garden tractor exhaust. ( Don't Ask!).

Not to hijack the thread, but...LOL You don't have to tell the story, I'm fairly familiar (second hand experience) with the scenario. Just had to :poke: a little :bigrofl:
  • Russ said thank you

#7 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Ok Buys,, Sure thanks ya for the imput so far,, I sure understand it all,,, I not worry about the noise cause I am already deaf an been this way since I was 5 years old,,lol,, I could run the 2 pipes out the front an turn then down an then turn em towards the sides a lil,, But if its best to keep the muffler on then thats just what I will have ta do,, I like the idea that Chuck has up there but I was thinking about haven a pipe on each side in the front so I wouldn't have to cut the body noplace,, An my hood opens from the dash to the front cover so it won't bother nothing at all up there,, I was just thinking about the heat that is under the hood cause the muffler is under there,, Maybe it would be best to make vents on top of the hood over where the muffler is an that will help,, But if it sets outside an it rains then got ta worry bout water getting under the hood,,,lol,,

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 12:47 PM

I second the noise issue as well! I Always wear hearing protection when I'm running my equipment for any length of time! I also second the idea that it contributes to the fatigue after an extended period...even with the hearing protection! Low frequency sounds carry a great deal more energy than their high frequency counterparts and can wreak havok on the human body! The solution is to point the noise away from you. This will not completely eliminate the problem, but it will reduce the effects some.

Not to hijack the thread, but...LOL You don't have to tell the story, I'm fairly familiar (second hand experience) with the scenario. Just had to Posted Image a little Posted Image

Ha !Caseguy That Jab does not smart as much and the story is a lot funnier a year after it happened.
And it is less painful, since my neighbor the Fire Chief had to call his crew out, When his brush burning got out of hand a couple weeks ago.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 12, 2012 - 12:49 PM.