• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the pics Scott. Congrats grandpa.

• sacsr said thank you

#92 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 04:19 PM

I got a battery box made up and most of the wiring done. Have a few more things to do to button it up but will hopefully fire it yet tonight. Will post pics of the battery box a little later on.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#93 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 05:23 PM

As promised here are the pics. It actually turned out pretty decent I think. Will pull it out later and get some primer on it. Wanted to make sure it was all good first.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1364163769794.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364163776729.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364163783511.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364163790347.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364163796838.jpg

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#94 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 05:39 PM

Nice work George.

:thumbs:

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#95 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:28 PM

Good job forming the box George!  :thumbs:

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#96 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Thanks to all of the members that provided info and support as George got the Bush Hog up and running. He did most of the work but I tried to help when I could. It was really great to hear the tractor fire up and run.

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#97 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Good job forming the box George!  :thumbs:

Thanks Daniel. George did do a great job with the battery box. I was only able to help a little with the clamping in the vise for bending, but it was all his design. Sometimes I forget how smart my child is. Thank goodness he is able to do the things he does.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#98 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:40 PM

I posted the pics from my phone. Now that I am at the computer I will type a little more.

Went to tractor supply this morning and got two pieces of 16 gauge 8" x 24" sheets and also got a 1/8" thick 2" x 72" bar stock. I used the grinder with the 1/8" disc to score the lines and than bend the pieces to make the angles. Once the angles were made I welded at the joint. I made two pieces identical and cut the bottoms to length so they sat on top of one another. I drilled 6 holes in the bottom plate of the top piece so I could make tack welds and also welded the ends of each one. 

I made the battery wrap out of the 2" wide 1/8" thick bar stock doing the same with the scoring the lines and bending. Figured out where it needed to be to meet in the middle and butt welded the piece together. I really need to get some gas for the welder. I probably could have used thinner wire too. The welds I did will work but they are far from the prettiest.

I got all the wiring redone except I need to look in to the neutral safety switch. For right now I bypassed it till i get it figured out. I didn't mess with tearing the original exhaust apart as I don't know if it will come apart and it needs to or I won't be able to put it back on as a whole unit. Not enough room to spin it on. I think I may end up putting a stack on it anyway.

I left the air filter off just in case I had something wired wrong and it wouldn't shut down I could block off the carb to kill the engine. Pulled the spark plug out and checked to see if I still had spark and it was good so I put it back in. Turned the gas on and the starter belt was slipping. I got as much out of it as I could but going to have to get a new belt. Once I got it tweaked to grab enough I was able to get it to fire off. I didn't let it run long since I don't have the exhaust on it. Will pick up what I need tomorrow and start tuning the carb and get her running.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and IamSherwood have said thanks

#99 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:47 PM

George, The battery box looks good, and I'm glad to hear you got her up and running. I know you can't wait to take it for a spin around the yard. And now it looks like you'll be turning dirt with her at the Plow Day. Way to Go!! :thumbs:

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#100 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:49 PM

Gonna be nice watching video of her plowing with a refreshed engine.  Gonna make a big difference.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#101 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Battery box looks great! When I first saw the pictures of the sides, I had not noticed that there was sheet metal there also... I thought that the flar bar was welded to the battery! :bigrofl:

I am glad to hear it is up and running!

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#102 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:22 PM

It is not completely up and running yet but so far it does seem like we are headed in the right direction.

Since I was able to get it back together quicker than I thought I would. I am going to pull the rear tires off and fill them with windshield washer fluid for the plow day. I wasn't planning on taking a tractor but since it is running it is too tempting not to. I will be happier once I get the exhaust done and can start setting the idle and high speed / governor. I would like to get the neutral safety switch wired back in. I plan on having the little one run this tractor a good bit and don't want it firing up and her not be in neutral.

I gotta get some new tie rod ends for it. The two on the main drag link from the steering box to the left spindle are really loose.

I also would like to figure out if there is anything I can do with the forward / reverse control lever. If you start to put it in reverse and once you get past a certain spot if you are not keeping tension on the handle it will go full bore in reverse. Not fun when not expecting it.

#103 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:28 PM

It is not completely up and running yet but so far it does seem like we are headed in the right direction.

Since I was able to get it back together quicker than I thought I would. I am going to pull the rear tires off and fill them with windshield washer fluid for the plow day. I wasn't planning on taking a tractor but since it is running it is too tempting not to. I will be happier once I get the exhaust done and can start setting the idle and high speed / governor. I would like to get the neutral safety switch wired back in. I plan on having the little one run this tractor a good bit and don't want it firing up and her not be in neutral.

I gotta get some new tie rod ends for it. The two on the main drag link from the steering box to the left spindle are really loose.

I also would like to figure out if there is anything I can do with the forward / reverse control lever. If you start to put it in reverse and once you get past a certain spot if you are not keeping tension on the handle it will go full bore in reverse. Not fun when not expecting it.

Yes, very unnerving to say the least.  My JB's with pedal do the same in forward also.  Does the handle have a tension system that can be tightened?

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#104 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Yes, very unnerving to say the least.  My JB's with pedal do the same in forward also.  Does the handle have a tension system that can be tightened?

Honestly Daniel I haven't looked in to it yet. I would think there has to be some sort of tension to it. I don't know if it is adjustable though. It's alright as long as you keep your hand on the lever or foot on the pedal. Just be nice for it to hold the speed you set without worrying about it taking off. If there isn't a way to tension it I might see what i can do as far as making something up to help.

#105 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:35 PM

Looks great George!
Yes I don't crank my hd12 up and dare leave it unattended'
I will look at the diagrams tonight on the front end tie rods, I may have nos ends in my stuff,
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bush hog, hd-12, wisconsin, hydro