• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 04:46 PM

You might make a plate to fit the 3 holes I see in the flywheel and attach your puller to the plate. It realy doesn't take a lot of load to get the mto come off the taper.

#32 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yep, without pulling holes, it's scary getting them off. If it were mine, I'd wedge a cold chisel under the flywheel, one to each side, where there is engine block as a backer. I usually can find chisels that will just lightly drive in, putting a forward pre-load on the flywheel. Then I use a hammer against a brass drift on the crank end. Hardwood wedges may work, but you only have a few thousands of crank end-play to wok with. The taken up end-play is what pops them loose when the shock/push hits it. If you use wood, the wood usually compresses, taking away the "push", leaving you with just the shock factor. 2 advantages are better than just one. I sure hate hitting on the end of a crank, but have had to do it many a time. Only problem I ever had was with an old Kohler with a threaded end, and I was using a puller. When I tapped the tightened puller, the threaded end of the crank broke right off! No worries with that on this one with that large crankshaft extension.

I know what you mean about it being scary. On my wedges I have 4 that I made at work, I made them out of oak and there about 8" long, I can't even count how many times they came in handy. Some times in a case like this, if I know I have clearance behind it, then I will drill and tap two 3/8-16 holes so I can mount a puller. Biggest thing in pulling anything is to make sure you have even pressure on 2 sides. Just take your time George, I know you will get this off.

#33 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:51 PM

I think a plate bolted to those three holes, and a puller, and, wedges, and, a good wack on the end of the puller.
Good luck with it George.

#34 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 06:15 PM

I wanted to post an update. We had a chance to work on the engine some today. I needed a break from working on the server anyway.

We did manage to get the flywheel off. Used to long punches and wedged them behind the flywheel to put outward pressure on it as suggested. I tried using a block of wood to cushion the blow a little but it didn't work. I finally gave in and whacked it good two times directly with the hammer on the end of the crank and it came loose.

However I have other issues with the engine. I somehow broke a little piece on the governor gear counterweights and will have to see about getting a new governor gear/counterweight. Also the piston is chewed up pretty good at the top above the rings which I am guessing is from all of the carbon that was built up. The cylinder bore looks good though although I can't check out of round. I need to decide if I am going to spend the money and do it right and get the bore machined and get a new piston. Which would also mean the rings that I got wouldn't do any good.

Or I can save the money and use it towards putting a diesel in it :D

Here are some pictures:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0001.JPG
  • DSC_0002.JPG
  • DSC_0003.JPG
  • DSC_0004.JPG
  • DSC_0005.JPG

#35 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Yes take a break from the Server! you are doing a great job BTW! Sorry to hear about that counter weight,I can search around for you,Heck maybe a member has one they can donate( hint hint peoples). That is the 1st time I've seen a piston top worn like that, You could actually still use it if you had to. And as far as the bore goes, if it looks good, have a shop check to see if it is round, if it is then just hone the cylinder. That way you could use the rings you bought. I do like the idea of a Diesel, But that is a tough one, because I like keeping things original if I can. It will be great what ever you decide. Good luck George! :thumbs:

#36 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 07:17 PM

Bob may have that governor George. He has lots of Wisconsin parts. I'd bet the cylinder is still ok, but I'd replace that piston!

#37 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Sorry about the govenor. I'd find another piston also, that looks rather bad.

#38 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 07:52 PM

I was cleaning off the old gasket to help as best I can when I found a small piece of metal and asked George where it came from.Somehow it was from the governor gear counterweights. I thought that we were doing rather well up to this point. The piston also had some unwelcome marks at the top. It is still a work in progress , but I will continue enjoy learning with my son as we go through the rebuild.

#39 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Looks like that break has been partially there for a while. I wouldn't say you did any more than finish the job. Probably best that it happened now than after assembly. Piece that size can do one heck of a lot of damage.

Glad you're making headway & sorry for the problems.

#40 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 03:01 PM

I think I am going to be getting a new over sized piston and ring kit and have the bore machined. I checked the ring gaps with the new set of rings I have that are standard sized rings and the ring gap is probably around 3/16". According to the manual the ring gap is supposed to be .002 to .004 so I think there might be some wear. I didn't get much of a chance to really mess with it to much and do more measuring, could be that the cylinder was already bored but I don't think it was. The ring gap on the original rings is even worse with it being almost a 1/4".

#41 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:31 PM

George, you definitely have a lot of wear somewhere, but do check that manual again. .002 to .004 sounds awfully tight. Most engines spec at between .010 to .030 for wear limits on ring gap.

#42 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:39 PM

You are probably right Daniel. I might have looked at the measurements wrong and maybe it is supposed to be .020 to .040. I know if it is supposed to be .002 to .004 that is going to be hard to try and file the ring gap and get it perfect.

#43 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 07:34 PM

George....anything to update here?
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#44 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 08:23 PM

Bob is sending me the governor gear assembly and I should have it this weekend or early next week. I gotta go get a hone and a ring compressor and am hoping to get it back together in time for the Dover show. It will be the only tractor the little one can drive since I lent her tractor to a friend and I probably won't see it back LOL.

I think the HD-12 will actually be easier for her to drive then the Massey 12H because the lever is easier to move.

#45 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 08:46 PM

gotta go get a hone and a ring compressor

The hone is a nice thing to have, but this is the only ring compressor set I've ever used.
Posted Image

Good luck getting your HD going again, gonna be close... but if you put on your big red cape and spandex suit with the big "S" on it, I'm sure you can get it done...
Posted Image
  • NUTNDUN and olcowhand have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bush hog, hd-12, wisconsin, hydro