• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 08:19 AM

George mine leaks up top on around the shaft that changes the direction and speed- Hope you can get it figured out so you can work it this weekend

All mine leak some at this point too.  The oil can flow down the fins on the pump, then onto the filter.

#182 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 08:23 AM

If it was only a little bit I would let it go for now but it is leaking too much not to worry about it. I will try and see what I can find on Thursday. I was checking JD parts and looks like the gaskets are no longer available but there might be a chance the local parts guy could cross reference them.

#183 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Well guys. I must have stepped in crap today. Ended up not working late today and when I got home I was debating if I wanted to mess with the tractor or not. I was fearing the worst in that I would have to pull the whole transmission apart and try to find new gaskets for it.

I decided to change in to old clothes and the first thing I did was removed the middle lift assembly and the bottom plate so I could get a better look at the pump. I cleaned up all the gunk on the bottom that the pressure washer never got. Wiped it all as clean as I could and it looked like it was leaking where the hydro / piston unit bolts to the angle gear. Just out of curiosity I tried to tighten the mounting bolts.

Sure enough they were just a little loose. Not much at all really. They tightened easy for like the first 1/4" and got tight. I don't know what the torque should be on them but I should probably torque them. We checked all four and they were all the same way. Cleaned up the mess and took it for a spin. Ran it long enough to get everything warm and pulled it in the garage. Let it sit for a little while and so far no leaks.

The battery that I did the epsom salt treatment too and did one round of slow charge than discharge with the trolling motor. I put it on a 10 amp one hour charge yesterday than left it at 2 amps till I got home from work. I put the battery in the Bush Hog and it cranked it right over. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that it continues. Still taking jumper cables with though :D 

• olcowhand, KennyP and chris m have said thanks

#184 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Great news George! :thumbs:    I should have thought of that, as at least one of my JB's units weren't tight there when I got them.  Remembered this after reading your post above. 

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#185 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 06:13 PM

I'll sum this up quick! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :rocker2: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#186 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 06:14 PM

Yes, sure sounds like you stepped in poo.

Take the shoes off before you go inside.

That's good news, that you may have solved that oil leak. Did you put new lock washers on while you where

on those bolts?

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#187 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 06:15 PM

I will try and get some video of it running tomorrow. I need to do the first oil change on it yet and want to get it warmed up so that will be a good chance to do the video. I also got the Cub Cadet wheel weights put on it. Should definitely have enough weight for plowing now.

#188 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Yes, sure sounds like you stepped in poo.

Take the shoes off before you go inside.

That's good news, that you may have solved that oil leak. Did you put new lock washers on while you where

on those bolts?

I could put lock washers on there but it doesn't have any and I don't think it shows any in the manual either. I could get some nice machined hardened washers along with lock washers that way the lock washers don't dig in to the aluminum housing of the hydro.

#189 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 06:33 PM

That's great, George! Sounds like it is nearly ready for the workout!

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#190 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 10:32 PM

Wow, I was hoping it was going to be easy for you. Great news.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#191 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Looks like the HD-12 will make it's first debut this weekend. I got the oil changed tonight and was able to get the steering a little more centered. It would barely turn to the left. It is a little better now but not perfect. Will work on that some more at some point. Would like to pull the steering box out and clean it all up and make a new gasket for it. I also think the main drag link could use some work as well along with some new tie rod ends. 

I was able to get a good bit of slop out of the front axle though. It wobbled back and forth with the steering and I checked the pivot bolt and it wasn't all that tight. I snugged it up some and it took the play right out of it. I drove it around the yard a little bit ago and had the headlights on. The motor seems to be doing really well. I can basically idle it and climb any hill around the yard, the governor kicks it right up to keep it from stalling. There is definitely weight in the back end now. You can tell anywhere i drove, the grass is a little flatter. 

I also greased the spindles too. Double checked the fluid level in the rear end also.

• KennyP said thank you

#192 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 07:27 PM

That's great! So... does that mean it is ready for me to pick it up :D :dancingbanana:

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#193 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 07:28 PM

That's great! So... does that mean it is ready for me to pick it up :D :dancingbanana:

Just don't forget the $5,000 and dinner :bigrofl:

#194 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Will ya take a check :rolling:

That is awesome though! I am glad you got it together in time, and that it didn't have a lot of serious issues.

Great job on her and good luck this weekend :thumbs:

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#195 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Will ya take a check :rolling:

That is awesome though! I am glad you got it together in time, and that it didn't have a lot of serious issues.

Great job on her and good luck this weekend :thumbs:

I don't think I could ever sell it to be honest. Not since the memories that go with it since dad and I made the trip together to get it and I also got to meet another member on the site from another country :D

I think it will do good as long as all bolts stay tight and if I remembered to torque the rod bolts LOL.

• KennyP and chris m have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bush hog, hd-12, wisconsin, hydro