• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Glad things are working out good on it, George. Don't forget the pics! :wewantpics:

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#167 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 08:50 AM

That's good news about the carb.

You'll have it dialed perfect in no time. :thumbs:

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#168 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 09:23 AM

George, sounds like you're getting her ready to go for sure.  With the older engines, it's normal for them to blow just a bit of black smoke when the throttle is opened up.  Just pretend it's a diesel!  :D   And being the father of GTT, you should know the rules...........VIDEO!

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#169 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 09:39 AM

George, sounds like you're getting her ready to go for sure.  With the older engines, it's normal for them to blow just a bit of black smoke when the throttle is opened up.  Just pretend it's a diesel!  :D   And being the father of GTT, you should know the rules...........VIDEO!

I will try and get some video here soon. If not before I will at least get some video of it plowing. I need to order the three pto belts so I can run the trail mower again. I am really looking forward to it now since I now have full throttle it should really do a good job.

I am definitely going to load the tires once I get them back tomorrow. When I made those two passes in the garden it did slip some but the plow was also deeper than normal and i am using the 12" Brinly. I am worried if I don't fill the tires that it will spin too much. Might even borrow the weights from the D4-10.

#170 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 09:42 AM

I'm just happy you are getting some GT time, George! I know it's been a while!

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#171 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Put the weights on too George.  The 12's pull much harder.  Besides, you want the D4-10 to spin easier to prevent raking the cluster gear.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#172 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Put the weights on too George.  The 12's pull much harder.  Besides, you want the D4-10 to spin easier to prevent raking the cluster gear.

I yanked the weights off the D4-10 and they are sitting beside the HD-12 waiting to be put on once I get the wheels and tires back. Got the neutral safety switch installed and wired. Before I go dropping $100 on a battery I did some searching on the forum because I remembered we had a couple of threads that talked about bringing a battery back to life. Picked up some epsum salt and distilled water today.

The battery I have works for maybe a couple cranks and after that it is done. I drained a little out of each cell and warmed up some water and dissolved some epsum salt into the heated water. Topped off the battery and it has been on the 2 amp charge for the last 6 hours. Going to unhook it before going to bed and will turn it back on in the morning until I get home from work. I am hoping it can bring a little life back to the battery at least for a couple months.

#173 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 07:53 PM

We got the tires back today. Got them each filled with 8 gallons of windshield washer fluid and about 1/2 gallon of antifreeze in each one. It isn't looking good for the battery. Had it on 2 amp charge for 24 hours and it still isn't testing good with the battery tester. Might have to suck it up and buy a battery. I think a couple of battery tenders are in our near future for next winter.

#174 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:04 PM

We got the tires back today. Got them each filled with 8 gallons of windshield washer fluid and about 1/2 gallon of antifreeze in each one. It isn't looking good for the battery. Had it on 2 amp charge for 24 hours and it still isn't testing good with the battery tester. Might have to suck it up and buy a battery. I think a couple of battery tenders are in our near future for next winter.

Be careful with the tender you buy.  Cheaper ones just constantly trickle the battery, which is even worse for the battery.  Smart tricklers sense the battery & only send charge after the batteries cycle down a bit.  I just take my 2 amp charger once a month if too cold to start the tractors, and leave on each battery 12hrs or so.  If warm enough, I just start each tractor & let run a half hour or so.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#175 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:07 PM

I put the battery on a 10 amp charge for an hour. Thinking about putting it on a 2 amp charge overnight again. It could just be that it needs more charging to come around?

#176 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:09 PM

I put the battery on a 10 amp charge for an hour. Thinking about putting it on a 2 amp charge overnight again. It could just be that it needs more charging to come around?

If it will extend the life, it will need an overnight 2 amp charge.  

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#177 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:10 PM

If it will extend the life, it will need an overnight 2 amp charge.  

I had it on the charger overnight last night on a 2 amp charge and it didn't read much better with the hydrometer. Just don't want to overdo it by letting it charge at 2 amps again overnight.

#178 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Cycle it, drain it down and then recharge again.

• sacsr said thank you

#179 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Dad discharged the battery today using the trolling motor to drain it down. We put a one hour 10 amp charge on it and will put a 2 amp charge on it overnight and see how it does. He said the trolling motor ran for over an hour which doesn't seem to be too bad.

On another note the wind has been kind of blown out of the sail. I don't think I am going to be able to have it ready in time for plow day. The transmission is still leaking and I don't think I will have time to pull it out to figure out where it is leaking from. It kind of seems like it is leaking at the hydro unit itself on the bottom side. The oil is dripping on top of the end of the oil filter. I can't tell if it is the pivot on the bottom for the control lever or if it is the mounting point to the rest of the transmission.

I have to work late tomorrow night but possibly Thursday I will get a chance to tinker some more. Going to try tightening the bolts that mount the hydro unit and see if that helps but I doubt it. I am guessing I should be able to get gaskets from a John Deere dealer?

• MH81 said thank you

#180 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:15 PM

George mine leaks up top on around the shaft that changes the direction and speed- Hope you can get it figured out so you can work it this weekend

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bush hog, hd-12, wisconsin, hydro