Ron White

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 267
  • 123 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 08:29 PM

George,

If in fact that hydro filter is the same as the John Deere 140 , then it would be a Wix # 51410 or Napa # 1410.  These are the numbers I use on my JD's .

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#152 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 08:44 PM

George,

If in fact that hydro filter is the same as the John Deere 140 , then it would be a Wix # 51410 or Napa # 1410.  These are the numbers I use on my JD's .

ONLY the earliest 140 has this hydro & diff.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#153 Ron White OFFLINE  

Ron White

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 267
  • 123 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 09:20 PM

I didn't really know which year would be the same design but, all of the John Deere Hydro GT's use the same part number for the hydro filter which is AM39653.

Edited by Ron White, March 27, 2013 - 09:21 PM.

• NUTNDUN and olcowhand have said thanks

#154 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 05:45 AM

Thanks guys. I will yank the filter that is on there off and between the numbers posted and the one that would be on the filter I am sure I can get something :D

#155 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 05:44 PM

I worked on the Bush Hog some more last night and today. There were quite a few things I did get done and quite a few more that I need to get done yet.

I have the adjustable main jet and transmission filter coming from Bob (bhts) and they should be here tomorrow. I was checking the throttle linkage and realized that the cable itself wasn't getting to full throttle. Made some adjustments and it will now go to full throttle but it is still too rich as it loads up.

I pulled the neutral safety switch last night and checked it with my meter and it is working. I will get it wired in at some point again but for now I am going to leave it out. I picked up a new ammeter and got that put in and it is now reading although I probably should have got one that only went to 10 amps. The needle barely moves when it is charging but I think the battery might have something to do with it as well. 

I had pulled the headlights apart the other night to check to see if the bulbs were good and luckily they were both in great shape. Ran new wiring for the headlights and they are working now and so is the light on the ammeter. 

On the rear hitch someone had welded the tongue to the hitch and I needed to cut it off so I could use the Bush Hog switchable hitch from the D4-10 to mount the Brinly plow. Got it cut off with the grinder and got the plow mounted up. Once I got everything back together I took it down to the garden to see how it would do pulling the plow and checking the setup on it. It did pretty good. My complaints are the lift control lever is in a bad place and it isn't easy to use the lever and look back at the same time. I am going to try and see if I can take the depth gauge wheel from my three point plow and mount it on the sleeve hitch plow.

After doing the two passes in the garden I parked it back in the garage to tinker some more. All the time I have had it, it never leaked hydro oil. After it sat in the garage for a little bit I noticed there was a small puddle under it. It looks like it was the filter that was leaking. I pulled the filter off since the new one will be here tomorrow. The old filter was a Fram and I don't think it would do a good job as a hydro filter and it also wasn't on all that tight either.

The other thing I decided to do was remove the burlap that was wrapped around the bottom seat cushion. You could feel that there was still vinyl underneath it. I got the burlap peeled back and they also had plastic under it. The bottom seat cushion is in terrific shape. There is some black marking on it though that is slowly working off. Have a good bit more scrubbing to do but I think the seat cushion will end up looking like it was just redone other than a couple small spots. I will post pics of it once I get it cleaned up completely.

The other thing I forgot to mention is I picked up a new bearing for that rear pto shaft. Using Daniels idea to space it out to a better area of the shaft I mounted it on the inside of the back plate which put the bearing a non worn area. It is nice and quiet now and it actually looks better mounted on the inside I think.

Here are some pics of the Bush Hog HD-12 from today:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0032.JPG
  • DSC_0033.JPG
  • DSC_0034.JPG
  • DSC_0035.JPG
  • DSC_0036.JPG
  • DSC_0037.JPG
  • DSC_0038.JPG
  • DSC_0039.JPG

• olcowhand, KennyP, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#156 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 05:51 PM

The other thing we did was pulled the back tires off to take to the shop tomorrow to get tubes put in them. The one was low on air and I went to unscrew the valve cap and had a hard time getting it off. I finally got it to break loose and here it had silicone in it. I figured it wouldn't work but I tried putting air in the tire and it wouldn't take any. I decided than that both were going to get tubes.

I got the lug nuts off and went to drop the first tire and the dam thing was loaded. Should have figured as much but wasn't prepared for the weight. Will definitely feel it tomorrow. At least for the second one I was prepared for it. Got them both rolled out and cut the valve stems off to let them drain.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#157 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Wow George you are cooking right along on this one now! That is one great looking HD-12!!

I also like how you fixed the PTO bearing on the shaft, that looks great. :thumbs:

Good luck on the rest of it, and try to rest that back. I was hurting just reading about the loaded tire incident.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#158 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Darn, it's looking good George. You're doing a great job there.

They should never have let you into our country, to pick it up. :rolling:  :poke:

That could still be mine, if they'd have turned you away at the border.

And, the worst of it is, I still have that US monopoly money in my sock drawer. :wallbanging:

We haven't been south of the border since then.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#159 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:25 PM

Darn, it's looking good George. You're doing a great job there.

They should never have let you into our country, to pick it up. :rolling:  :poke:

That could still be mine, if they'd have turned you away at the border.

And, the worst of it is, I still have that US monopoly money in my sock drawer. :wallbanging:

We haven't been south of the border since then.

You better do something soon with that monopoly money before it really is only worth about what the board game would go for LOL.

#160 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Once you get that carb dialed in, I'd say you're really gonna love plowing with it.  On another note, not heard anything about the Massey with loader for a looong time??

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#161 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:29 PM

George, that's a mean looking critter, that's for sure. Glad you're making headway.

What was it filled with? Salt water, antifreeze, wwf?

If salt, you early want to clean up that rim and put some rust preventative on the rims.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#162 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Once you get that carb dialed in, I'd say you're really gonna love plowing with it.  On another note, not heard anything about the Massey with loader for a looong time??

Still have the Massey with the loader. Actually going to be one of the next ones I will work on once I am finished with the HD-12. I want to get a new loader control valve since the one on it is shot. Also need to get the one cylinder rebuilt because it leaks a little bit. It is actually sitting outside the last week or so because of working on the golf cart and the HD-12.

#163 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:34 PM

George, that's a mean looking critter, that's for sure. Glad you're making headway.

What was it filled with? Salt water, antifreeze, wwf?

If salt, you early want to clean up that rim and put some rust preventative on the rims.

I think it was filled with a mix of windshield washer fluid and antifreeze. I am not 100% positive on the wwf though. It was kind of clearish and not blue tint at all. I am guessing the coloring could fad over time? Might have been just water and antifreeze too. I know it did burn a little in the cuts on my hands. I will definitely clean up the rims just in case there was calcium in there.

• MH81 said thank you

#164 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 06:55 AM

That's a nice looking Hog! Glad you are getting some quality time with it!

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#165 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 08:45 AM

Got the transmission filter and adjustable main jet in the mail yesterday. Thanks Bob.

Put the filter on and filled the transmission up. I tightened the filter a little tighter than I normally would for an oil filter. I haven't been able to put it under load because it is still on jack stands. I did run it though to get the fluid into the filter and purge out any air than topped it off again.

With the carb I had noticed it was leaking a little bit if I kept the gas on so I knew it was either the bowl gasket or my float height was too high. Got the carb off and noticed the carb bowl had some sort of rough coating on the lip that goes against the gasket so I used scotchbrite and cleaned the lip up. I also lowered the height of the float a little bit.

Got the carb back together with the adjustable main jet and put it back on the engine. After a couple of adjustments it looks like it is going to work perfect now. It still does a little black puff when moving the throttle initially but clears right out and sounds good.

Going to wire in the neutral safety switch back in today. I also need to get a new battery as the one I have just isn't holding a charge. I also got a new starter generator belt for it as well.

• olcowhand, KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bush hog, hd-12, wisconsin, hydro