GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:04 PM

I did a search trying to find out if anyone had posted about converting sleeve hitch Brinly implements to three point mounts and nothing popped up. So....

I posted an add this morning for a 10" plow and got a call a couple hours ago from a guy who has a three year old Brinly 10" plow and Brinly single disc harrow that he bought and used once. I am going to pick them up in the morning.

They are both sleeve hitch mounts now and I would like to convert them to three point mounts for the JD 140H3. I know that there are "adapters" to change them over but would like to change them over if for no other reason than to make them shorter and more maneuverable.

Thanks,
Bill

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:09 PM

This should be interesting to follow. Once I get the 3-point on the GTV finished, I plan to add a 3-point hookup to my sleeve hitch box blade. Then I can use it either way.

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Huh, I thought I posted this but must have hit the wrong key.

I would like to get something that will allow few or no tool changeover from one to the other so it would work on the JD three point and the son's Craftsman and SIL's CC125 sleeve hitches. Might have to bite the bullet and go with an adapter off the three point.

#4 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 06:15 PM

I have (most of) an adapter that I "borrowed" a piece of angle iron from for a critical project. If you go the "adapter" way and want it I think it would be cheap. Try to get you a picture here in the next day or two. It would add about a foot to the length from what I remember.

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Greg,
I plan on taking a Craftsman 1000 mower down to my brother in Kalamazoo this weekend so maybe I can take a jog east through Barryton on the way down or up to get the adapter you have for the trade I PM'ed you about.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by GTTinkerer, April 10, 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#6 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 08:07 PM

That should be doable Bill, I think the only thing I would have to work around is a morel hunting foray :smilewink: but thats usually not more than a few hours.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 09:42 PM

If you were making your own adapter and worried about the length, could you bring the bar that the sleeve hitch mounts to towards the front of the tractor 6"? If you planned it right, you could even flip the adapter around and extend 6" (why you'd want to, IDK, but you could).

#8 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 09:55 PM

If you were making your own adapter and worried about the length, could you bring the bar that the sleeve hitch mounts to towards the front of the tractor 6"? If you planned it right, you could even flip the adapter around and extend 6" (why you'd want to, IDK, but you could).

That might work to a point but the limiting factor would be where the top link attaches to the adapter and how much lift you would get when you raise the three point since when you shorten the distance from the lift arm lift point the amount of lift would decrease. I think.

Bill

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 10:22 PM

The tip up or down would be controlled by top link length. I wasn't being very clear in my description, so I did a crude drawing. the one on the right is the aerial view of just the bottom bar where the implement will attach, the one on the left is from behind the tractor.

I'm still "helping" with a homework assignment (suddenly due tomorrow), but will be back a little later and will try to do better if I'm still being confusing. :)

concave adapter.jpg

#10 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 05:51 PM

IMG_1400 1024x768.JPG
I will throw a picture up here just to show the one I have and for anyone wanting some other ideas, I have never used this, acquired it many years ago with some other stuff. Note missing piece of side angle iron :laughingteeth: . When you need a piece of steel and its a 50 mile round trip away for new, you grab what you got laying around.
(Bill more pics in PM box)

edit
change picture and a typo

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1402 1024x768.JPG

Edited by Michiganmobileman, April 11, 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 08:11 PM

That is a Gilson sleeve hitch welded into that adapter. I never liked the Gilson hitch, no tightening bolts on those hitches... Not that it wouldn't work for plows, discs, and cultivators, but the rear blades will be a struggle.

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 08:11 PM

By the way, was that adapter on a John Deere by any chance? LOL

#13 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 06:19 AM

The tip up or down would be controlled by top link length. I wasn't being very clear in my description, so I did a crude drawing. the one on the right is the aerial view of just the bottom bar where the implement will attach, the one on the left is from behind the tractor.

I'm still "helping" with a homework assignment (suddenly due tomorrow), but will be back a little later and will try to do better if I'm still being confusing. Posted Image

concave adapter.jpg

I am looking at something like this one which is reversible; one way for using the ball hitch and the other for using thr sleeve hitch. I found this one on a site for $95 plus the shipping. Not sure if it is for the Sears type of three point or the wide JD three point.

Photo is pretty small.

Thanks,
Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• aframe.JPG

Edited by GTTinkerer, April 12, 2012 - 06:20 AM.