#16 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 08:20 PM

I run chains and turfs all year around on the Bolens loader tractor and have had not problems with the lawn getting damaged. I do have one GT with ATV tires on and it has the most incredible traction. I chose to go with taller and narrower and I don't regret it. I will warn you though, they won't slip and if you start pulling real hard you can break something. Under normal use this would not be a problem.
  • johndeereelfman and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#17 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 11:24 PM

Ags are designed for soft surfaces, such as a garden, where they can dig in for traction. Turfs are designed to work on harder surfaces where they will do a minimum of damage from point loading. For improved traction with either style, liquid ballast first, wheel weights second, and for turfs the third option is 2 link chains.

My winter rides get the tires loaded before they get used and wheel weights and chains are added as required. Both of my winter tractors have loaded turfs and neither has wheel weights. The 2wd tractor has chains and the 4wd tractor doesn't. Both are FEL and 5' backblade equipped and weight about 2400 lb with operator, and neither has a real problem with traction, whether it be on snow, ice, or grass.

Chains may not be the best idea for a lawn maintained like a putting green, but my lawn is meant for kids to play on and the chains don't do it damage that lasts for more than 2 cuttings, no matter how many trips I made across it moving fill. And I made a lot of trips.

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 04:58 AM

Chains for ice and snow work are a necessity on AG or Industrial tires. They are next to useless without them in that application. In my situation AG's are better for my summer jobs and no matter what tires I use I will need chains in the winter to get up the hill on my driveway when it's icy. Pushing a foot of heavy snow up hill on an icy surface requires chains IME no matter what tires you have.Conditions vary enormously from driveway to driveway and storm to storm so there are bound to be a lot of opinions on what to use. Heres a link to some options for lug tires.
http://www.tirechain...orChainmenu.htm

I had the DuoGrip chains on my 2320 which has 12-16.5 industrial lug tires. The traction was great but the ride was so rough I ordered the cross chains and converted them to the Duo Ladder Combination type which smoothed out the ride considerably. These are a variation of the ring chain with links replacing the solid ring. The chains weigh about 70lbs each.

#19 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 05:51 AM

Would it pay just to have new turf tires for your grass cutting and find another used set already mounted load them and just keep chains on them all the time for when you needed the traction plowing snow and if you can't get good traction with the turfs in the garden . It's not any harder swapping the tires then putting chains on . Al
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#20 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 07:20 AM

I've never used the ATV tires, but they sound like a better gripper than turfs under a normal circumstance. I'm sure a set of chains in the winter would make the ATV tires a good year round option.

#21 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 07:52 AM

Yep, bar tires don't work so well in snow or ice without chains. I had turfs on and had to put chains on to work the garden and to run the snow blower or blade, I have Ag tires on now and I only have to put chains on in the winter months. The Ag tires don't give me any problems on the lawn, unless I get too aggressive and spin out in a corner or on a slope, but you can have that with any tire. Gary
  • JDBrian and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#22 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 11:35 AM

I am very close to picking up the Carlisle All-Trail to replace the tires on my 120. After 40 years they are hard and slide all over the place. I like the hybrid tread that they have to offer.

#23 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 01:32 PM

Would it pay just to have new turf tires for your grass cutting and find another used set already mounted load them and just keep chains on them all the time for when you needed the traction plowing snow and if you can't get good traction with the turfs in the garden . It's not any harder swapping the tires then putting chains on . Al

I have tractors with turfs, one with filled R1 AGs, and another with filled ATV tires. The one with the filled (110 Lbs per tire) ATVs is a Bolens 1886, with a FEL and a tiller mounted on it. It's probably 1800 Lbs or more. Even with the yard being so saturated that you squish when you walk on it, you can't tell where I've driven over it.

Contrary to popular belief, AGs won't do any more damage to a lawn/yard that turfs will. In fact, if you have low traction areas, AGs are likely to cause LESS damage as they will keep traction in areas where turfs will spin. It's the spinning that causes damage. Of course, if the AGs DO spin they will do more damage than turfs, but unless you are going places where and when you shouldn't unless you are willing to accept the damage, spinning AGs will be rare.

My ATV tires are CST Anclas which are very aggressive as you can see in the pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4104.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: turf, chain, ags, tires