22 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'd like to replace some old cracked and dryrotting Goodyear tires on my MF12. Most of the time I will be using the tractor to cut grass, but certainly plan to garden, and perhaps push the occasional snow. My property does have some steep banks that the turfs tend to slip a bit on unless handled carefully. I've considered getting wider turfs, but it looks like I'd have to install the tires on a wider stance, and I'd prefer to leave them turned in since that matches better with the mower and for plowing. So I'm trying to decide if I should buy new turfs and use chains when needed or if I should go Ag to start with. I do like my lawn and try to take care of it, so I'd like to avoid tearing it up just driving across it. How much damage do chains do driving across level turf? Will Ag tires tend to tear up the grass when making sharp turns? Any suggestions? And if weight makes a major difference, I do plan to put <something> liquid in the tires to add weight.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 03:57 PM

As a good compromise between the 2 choices there is something like these http://www.carlislet...rail/index.html

I don't know if they would fit your tractor but they are an awesome tire. JD makes them available as an option on some of their new GT's. You might want to take a look at some of the ATV tires out there as well. Chains would not be a good choice on turf and you would probably be better off with AG's. I don't have a lawn but I think a small tractor with AG's may not be a problem on turf. I'll let others with more experience fill in the blanks there.
  • HowardsMF155 and Cvans have said thanks

#3 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 04:26 PM

If you're slipping on grass you'd be amazed with what a set of wheel weights on each side does.Chains would work for gardening when you need them.Just a suggestion.
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 04:42 PM

Howard,

I think I would go with Ag's period. From what you're going to be using the tractor for (mowing,gardening,snow removal) you will be covered for all three with Ag's. Turfs are nice for just cutting grass, but do you want the aggrevation of changing tires back and forth every time you need the tractor for gardening? It's really up to you, but my preference would be to go with Ag's, for all season. If you go with Ag's, you might not want to use liquid right away. Try the tires first, see how the do on the grass, as they shouldn't tear up the yard, then decide if you still need added weight or not. With Ag's, the more weight you add, the deeper the lug sink into the ground.

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 04:53 PM

Howard,

Turfs are nice for just cutting grass, but do you want the aggrevation of changing tires back and forth every time you need the tractor for gardening? It's really up to you, but my preference would be to go with Ag's, for all season. If you go with Ag's, you might not want to use liquid right away.

I would not be trying to change tires back and forth. If the recommendation is that weighted turfs will work well (remember that there are areas that need to be handled carefully to prevent slipping-Not that areas slip all the time, just some areas are steep enough to need finese.) then I would install chains when needed for extra traction in the garden or in snow/ice.

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:10 PM

Since we are coming into summer, it might be well worth my while to experiment with loading some tires with ordinary water. That will certainly give me some perspective on the effect of weight on the traction of the existing turf-type Goodyear Terra tires.

#7 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 06:08 PM

i prefer chains with turfs. my panzer with ags tended to slip on hills in snow. But the chains never lost bite

#8 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 06:17 PM

I have ran chains on the turf tires and I didn't think it hurt the lawn at all, granted one must pay attention to starts, slopes and such.
  • johndeereelfman and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 06:41 PM

Regular 2 or 4 link chains work better on turf tires then on AG's. In larger sizes you can get ring chains or other types that are designed to work well on AG or industrial type tires. I'm not sure you have that choice in GT sizes. I had 26" Carlisle Tru Power AG's on my JDx475 and used regular 2 link chains. They worked OK but had a tendency to fall between the lugs, This would be much worse if you used 4 link chains or tires with a more aggressive lug pattern than the Tru Power.

#10 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 07:01 PM

You could look for one of the HDAP type tires. They are more aggressive than regular turf tires, but not as aggressive as AGs.

There are also some ATV tires the might work. This one looks quite interesting as it's sort of AG + turf:

http://www.petestire...00-8-p2865.html
  • HowardsMF155 and JRJ have said thanks

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Just a question to put out there, to see what answers come about:

What good are lug tires when using chains? Lug tires are to help give traction. The lugs are designed to sink into the ground, to aid in getting better grip. Putting chains over top of the lugs, really defeats the purpose of buying lug tires, since the chains prevent the lugs from sinking into the ground to get the required traction. Kind of like, how some guys put a rubber tread around their steel wheel lugs, on some of the older farm tractors.

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Just a question to put out there, to see what answers come about:

What good are lug tires when using chains? ...

Chains are for traction on ICE.

Edited by OldBuzzard, April 10, 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#13 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 07:20 PM

I did use some chains on ag tires but it was on snow and ice. The cross chains fell into the valley between lugs and only where the chains passed over lugs did I feel like they bit. I would have prefered turf tires due to this, but lugs was all I had at the time, and due to the ice I didn't feel I could get enough traction with just the lugs. I won't run chains on lugs because I don't think it helps much if at all. And in the snow and ice where I know chains make a big difference, I think they run best on turf tires.

Now, Dad did use chains on his old Gravely, but those lugs were so worn out that they might as well have been turfs.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 07:27 PM

If you want to run chains on your ag/ Lug tires you need a set that is crossed so they dont fall into the grooves.
This picture is just an example of what that style looks like.

Attached Thumbnails

• cross link chains.jpg

• johndeereelfman, HowardsMF155, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 07:28 PM

I'm not asking the questions above to make guys made. I'm just curious to see how everybody feels about running chains on bar tread tires. I have run chains on lug tires, and like Howard, the crosslinks fell down between the lugs, on just about every third lug. My only problem? The tires would lose grip between the fallen chains, and then grab traction, then lose, then grab. After about four hours of this constant abuse, I finally sheared a hub.

Don't get me wrong, chains are good for traction, and I use chains myself. I just don't use them on bar tread or lug tires anymore. I learned the hard way.

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 10, 2012 - 08:32 PM.

• HowardsMF155 and Cvans have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: turf, chain, ags, tires