9 replies to this topic

#1 redraider14450 OFFLINE  

redraider14450
  • Member No: 9412
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hello,
I am a newbie to this site so here goes... I just inherited a nice old Massey MF-7 lawn tractor. It has a snow blower attachment and a mower deck. Good part, the engine is fine. No issues. The bad, the chassis is rolling okay but the related parts are in a box that the owner's son used to collect them as he took it apart. Why I'm not totally sure. The axle is intact and appears fine along with all the steering gear and wheels. My question is where do I get detailed pictorials of how the various springs, rods, bolts etc go together and where do you all suggest I start for parts if I need them. I did get some help from the local M-F dealer and I downloaded the available manuals and such on this site. They don't give enough detail to help.
FYI I am a retired shop teacher and this project is well within my talent. I've heard that this unit is a bear and worth the attention.
Thanks to all in advance.

Redraider14450

Edited by redraider14450, April 10, 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 10:11 AM

Welcome to the forum! I have an MF8G which is nearly identical to the 7 other than the engine size. Do you have a hydro or a gear drive 7? I have some pictures of mine in various states of disassembly which I can send to you. However my machine is gear drive. Do you have the parts diagrams? I think they are available online at agcopartsbooksdot com. The old MF's are a great little tractor and very well made compared to most of the new mowers available these days.

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 10:13 AM

Have you tried going to Agcopartsbooks.com online and enter as "guest" in the lower right corner of the page? Try searching for 7 tractor under the Massey Ferguson brand name, it may bring up the parts books for you. Then you will see exploded diagrams of the parts. That may help you.

Edited by HowardsMF155, April 10, 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 10:18 AM

Don't know why I can't edit. There are a lot of results at the agco site, just keep looking for the "7 tractor" and you will get it

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 10:24 AM

Welcome redraider14450, Glad you joined. When you get it together, post up some photographs.

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 12:53 PM

Welcome to GTT Redraider. I have lots of pictures too, of my 7 and 8 in various stages of resto.
Let us know what you need to look at, and good luck with the project.

#7 redraider14450 OFFLINE  

redraider14450
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Well thanks for the grand welcome! I will take your advice that you all suggested and check those sites tonight. BTW, I was riding around my yard this PM after figuring out some basics on the pulleys that were all messed up. She rides fine, all out of adjustment but have lots and lots more to fix of course but it sure was cool riding around the house. I felt like Eddie Albert on the old tv show "Green Acres" as I bounced all over. Also I'll contact those that have helper pixs if I start to use too many four letter words...

PS. Can't wait to see if the two attachments work. Maybe hope for some late snow to check the blower, naaa!

Will post pixs later. Again thanks for the warm welcome.

Redraider14450

#8 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:32 PM

Welcome to the forum redraider. Sounds like you're fixin to have some fun.

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:40 PM

Welcome to GTTalk Redraider14450, Looks like you are already getting the help you need.

#10 redraider14450 OFFLINE  

redraider14450
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 10:03 AM

Just looking through the classifieds and the MF7 for sale is a twin of mine, including the blower and mower attachments... Must be a popular setup? Wish it was close to home.

Problem is now how to budget my time between this new project or my 1938 Packard, 1940 Chevy street rod or the Corvette? Guess the cars have to wait a few days...

Edited by redraider14450, April 11, 2012 - 10:04 AM.