• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • Member No: 9349
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 09:40 PM

When I was looking for information on my engine a few days ago I found out that my engine was able to use the dual carb and run on gas to start it and get it warmed up then switched to diesel while it was still running.. What is the story on this? It has me wondering.

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 11:41 PM

so where did you read about this? Its not possible to carb both gas and diesil. The burning properties of them is completely differnt. Diesil needs to be injected and have about twice the compression as gas does. I beleive what you looking for is info on dual fuel engines using gas/kero. There is some info on this in the briggs books.
  • kitepilot said thank you

#3 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 09:36 AM

kero is still really different than gas. Im not sure i know people made briggs into diesel but never thought they made one

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Dual fuel, would that be propane and gas or LNG and gas. I think kerosene is more similar to diesel than gasoline.

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 10:02 AM

probaly LPG or simular stuff

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 10:31 AM

well dual fuel could be lpg or ng, but since he said dual carbs, i would think he talking about having a second carb which is really a vaporizer. This is the way the hit&miss style units work. You start on gas, then when the head is hot enough you start the kero drip, which is in its own carb/vapor unit.

diesil is considered a heavy oil fuel fuel, kero is a lite oil fuel. The first needs to be injected into a fine mist and set off purely by the heat of compression. Kero is vaporized, and then spark exploded in a straight air to fuel mixture. In a lpg or ng sysytem you would need a pressure regulator to control that fuel.

#7 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 11:48 AM

"Dual Fuel" is not "gas to diesel" and dual fuel engines aren't anything new.
This was a very common thing on tractors back in the 20's, 30's & 40's.
The engine was started on gas and when it was hot enough, the fuel was switched over to distillate or kerosene.

The engine still runs the fuel thru the carb and the fuel is ignited by a spark plug.
The lower grade fuel was a lot cheaper than gas and the engine would run good on it as long as you kept the engine hot enough.

One thing that you had to make sure to do was to switch it back over to gas and run it for awhile before the engine was shut off.
If you forgot to do this, than the carb would have the other fuel in it when you tried to start it the next time and it wouldn't start on the lower grade fuel.

My 1946 JD crawler is a dual fuel engine but I just run it on gas all the time.

Edited by jdcrawler, April 10, 2012 - 11:49 AM.

• kitepilot and frankreno have said thanks

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 01:40 PM

the only dual fuel system involving both gas and diesil i can think of is the odd one IH used. It basicly had a gas engine setup on one side and a diesil setup on the other one, both on the same engine. Not real clear to me how they got the compression high enough for the diesil, but they sold a lot of these in crawler units.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#9 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 02:16 PM

the only dual fuel system involving both gas and diesil i can think of is the odd one IH used. It basicly had a gas engine setup on one side and a diesil setup on the other one, both on the same engine. Not real clear to me how they got the compression high enough for the diesil, but they sold a lot of these in crawler units.

The old fellow that cut our logs into lumber has one of those IH engines on his mill. He used to run a steam engine but changed over so he could get to work quicker. That IH is an interesting engine and it's exactly as you described it gas on one side and diesel on the other.

#10 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • Member No: 9349
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 06:34 PM

"Dual Fuel" is not "gas to diesel" and dual fuel engines aren't anything new.
This was a very common thing on tractors back in the 20's, 30's & 40's.
The engine was started on gas and when it was hot enough, the fuel was switched over to distillate or kerosene.

The engine still runs the fuel thru the carb and the fuel is ignited by a spark plug.
The lower grade fuel was a lot cheaper than gas and the engine would run good on it as long as you kept the engine hot enough.

One thing that you had to make sure to do was to switch it back over to gas and run it for awhile before the engine was shut off.
If you forgot to do this, than the carb would have the other fuel in it when you tried to start it the next time and it wouldn't start on the lower grade fuel.

My 1946 JD crawler is a dual fuel engine but I just run it on gas all the time.

Thanks so much for the clarification, and after I thought about it it was kerosene... thanks for the great info.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 07:09 PM

It's funny you should mention that. A friend was telling me that a local IH collector had one of those and my friend was mystified as to how it worked. I could not find any reference to it when I searched. This collector had 100's of IH tractors. He recently passed away and I don't know what will happen to his collection which is housed in several large warehouses.

#12 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 02:28 PM

I believe that when starting on gas there was a decompression valve to run gas, when u switched it over u turn on the diesel and close the decomp valve. allowing it to run
  • frankreno said thank you