Garden Tractor Forums banner

I Made A Pair Of Wheel Weights Today

5K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  tinner 
#1 ·
I was looking through a scrap pile at my house looking for some steel for a project. I saw that I still had some brake rotors from my Ford explorer. Then the idea struck me, why not use them for wheel weights? I grabbed one and checked if it would be the right size. sure enough it was. So a new project was born LOL. I did this this afternoon and this is were I am at right now.They weigh 31.87 pounds per pair. Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Light
Wood Circle Gas Metal Cylinder
Gas Machine Serveware Office equipment Metal
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Attachments

See less See more
#14 ·
Those look nice Chris
, just watch that you dont donate any skin from your shin on them though

Reactions: chris m
#17 ·
Death matches at Chris's house, glad I live far away.

#19 ·
They look good. Chris! Yeah, I mounted mine the other way, but added 60 lbs. of lead to the outside. Made them 75 lbs total. Good way to start adding weight.

#23 ·
Looking good, Chris! Like the Jacobsen across them!

#26 ·
Chris, those are sweet. Excellent use of existing "stuff".

BTW, it looks by the scoring that you ran out of brake pad at one time.

I, too, have brake rotor weights, but they're buried behind some regular ones on my sears and only weigh 15 per. Still, weight is weight. Did you have a devil of a time getting the torch to cut them right? I taught the neighbors some new words getting the u shape for the bolts in them.

#27 ·
Those look fantastic Chris! I love the custom logo you put on them...you'd never know they were rotors!

Did you have a devil of a time getting the torch to cut them right? I taught the neighbors some new words getting the u shape for the bolts in them.
No, some people use drill bits to make holes in stuff.

#38 ·
I just thought of something. I can use them right off the car on the Springfield. First, the valve stem is on the back of the rim. Second, I have three bolt hubs, that leaves exactly two bolt lug holes left in the rim, 7/16 but that would still hold them on. Who has a couple more Ford Explorer brake rotors laying around?

#39 ·
Nice weights Chris. You can always fill the center with concrete or if you have it lead like Kenny did. You can also go the the scrap yard and find some more the same size. Cut the center out and slide the rotor disk over the center and tack weld it in place. Good job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.