#1 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 12:59 PM

My 2003 GT 5000 is starting to smoke again, I haven't check it out to much but I am betting it has another blown head gasket.

It blew the first one at 75 hours when dad had the mower, it blew the other side at 150 hours. And it is smoking again with right at 225 hours.

I have the parts on hand to fix it, but it's a pain to get the motor stripped down enough to pull the head.

I have never really liked this mower and it struggles to get the job done, I think it would be fine for someone who mows under 2 acres, but for 4 acres it's just not enough mower.

I will post an update when I have time to check it out closer.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Sorry to hear that. It does sound like a large lawn for a small GT like that. Maybe it's time to look for something a bit stronger.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 05:03 PM

Large lawn or not, it shouldn't blow gaskets that often. Way too many of the "New & Improved" engines are no such a thing! Sorry you're having this problem Chuck. We all have enough to tend to as it is don't we!

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 05:06 PM

Sorry to hear of this, Chuck! I used to mow 2 1/2 acres all the time with my old Cub 108. Sounds like this one is heating up pretty good to keep blowing the had gaskets.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 08:05 PM

Chuck so sorry to hear ,That's crazy to have 2 head gaskets blow and maybe a 3rd in only 225 hours . What brand motor is it on your tractor ? Are others with this tractor/motor combo having problems too ?

#6 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 09:04 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems Chuck. It is never a good thing when any of us are having troubles with one of our tractors.Hopefully it will be an easy fix. I know that you will keep us updated.Good luck my friend.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,291 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 09:09 PM

Chuck, my parents mowed that every week for 6 years with mine, I've mowed and pushed snow with it since. Never a problem. Mine has the Kohler, does yours have the Briggs?

Once, I thought I had, but it ended up being a plugged fuel filter causing the miss and hot temps.

#8 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 07:36 AM

Chuck so sorry to hear ,That's crazy to have 2 head gaskets blow and maybe a 3rd in only 225 hours . What brand motor is it on your tractor ? Are others with this tractor/motor combo having problems too ?

I've read of others having head gasket problems with this model of Kohler.

Chuck, my parents mowed that every week for 6 years with mine, I've mowed and pushed snow with it since. Never a problem. Mine has the Kohler, does yours have the Briggs?

Once, I thought I had, but it ended up being a plugged fuel filter causing the miss and hot temps.

Mine has the 25 hP Kohler Command CV730. I have seen where you mow, push snow, and plow with yours. I am amazed yours works as good as it does for you, Mine is a major head ache. How many hours do you have on yours?

the first 2 were blown in the exact same spot.

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 10:36 AM

Chuck , do you have any pictures of the head and block when you changed the head gasket before ? Thanks , Al

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,291 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 11:11 AM

Mine was the 2004 model & it doesn't have the hour meter. Conservatively, I'd put it in the 600-700 hour range tho.

#11 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 11:48 AM

Chuck , do you have any pictures of the head and block when you changed the head gasket before ? Thanks , Al

I had already went back an looked this morning, and didn't find any yet, I have to check and see if i had any on my old phone, but didn't find any picture taken with the camera. There are a few pictures of the tear down, but none of the head.

Mine was the 2004 model & it doesn't have the hour meter. Conservatively, I'd put it in the 600-700 hour range tho.

I think most the ones I read had problems were the 2003.

Edited by Chuck_050382, April 10, 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 09:03 PM

Did anyone have a " up-grade" to be done to improve the head gasket problem ? Wonder what the difference the 2003 motor was ?

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,291 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Al, I wish I had taken pics the last time I had the skirts up cleaning out a mouse problem. I am thinking that my engine has one or two more head bolts each. ( vague recollection from researching my miss ). Possibly Kohler recognized the issue & corrected it.

Chuck, do you let yours idle for the cool down period? If I don't, I get one H - E - double hockey sticks of a backfire, I wince every time it happens (very rarely, but I've been know to forget to set the brake before dismounting.... BOOM)

#14 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 07:36 AM

Did anyone have a " up-grade" to be done to improve the head gasket problem ? Wonder what the difference the 2003 motor was ?

The "kit" that you can get to replace the head gasket come with "better" bolts

Al, I wish I had taken pics the last time I had the skirts up cleaning out a mouse problem. I am thinking that my engine has one or two more head bolts each. ( vague recollection from researching my miss ). Possibly Kohler recognized the issue & corrected it.

Chuck, do you let yours idle for the cool down period? If I don't, I get one H - E - double hockey sticks of a backfire, I wince every time it happens (very rarely, but I've been know to forget to set the brake before dismounting.... BOOM)

Yeah I let it idle for a little while or like you I get a huge back fire.

#15 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 01:49 PM

I finally had a chance to get the Craftsman into the shop, and sunday morning I got up early to get some shop time before anyone else got up. I started by pulling the spark plugs, one was a dirty than the other. The side that was dirtier is the side which was fixed at 75 hours. I decided to pull the head off that side and my suspision was confirmed. The head gasket failed in the exact spot it had previously failed.
Posted Image
here is a close up of the area with the gasket laid back how it is mounted.
Posted Image
There defiantly was some carbon build up on the valves,
Posted Image