• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yardjockey OFFLINE  

yardjockey

• Member No: 5852
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 09:09 AM

It's been a while since my last post. My world-famous KT17 has a real good leak in the front that I believe is due to a worn out crankshaft seal. I have seen a suggestion that the seal is easily replaced by driving a drywall screw into the old seal, give it a yank, then clean up the area, apply appropriate seal and lube material, and voila! I will live happily ever after!
From what I see, the toughest part will be removing the almost 30-year old front pto clutch assembly.
The rear seal (Flywheel end) is dry as a bone.
I'm searching for comments, because the beast is lubricating my lawn at a rate of one pint per hour!
Otherwise, I really love this old machine. It's never let me down. Someday, if my meager retiree budget allows, I would like to repower with a Briggs Vanguard twin.
Thanks for reading this!! --- EdP

#2 yardjockey OFFLINE  

yardjockey

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 10:41 AM

FYI, the job is done. The motor has an integral adaptor plate for the PTO clutch.
Four bolts hold the clutch in place.
When I pulled the adaptor plate, the badly worn seal almost fell out on it's own!
Never had to use the drywall screws!!
I cleaned everything up, pressed the new seal in place, installed the new gasket with some Permatex 2 and the leak has been plugged.
Thanks to everyone who looked at this and might have thought about sending on some advice.

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 02:17 PM

Hi yard jockey. I'm sorry you havn'et been welcomed to GTTalk properly.
:welcometogttalk:

About your seal, I recently was reading another thread where a Kohler engine pushed out a seal. It turned out there was an issue with the breather assembly that was causing pressure build up in the crankcase. If your seal "fell out" I think you might want to check on your breather assembly as well. Just be sure to reassemble it correctly, as I think incorrect assembly caused the problem in the first place.
  • yardjockey said thank you

#4 yardjockey OFFLINE  

yardjockey

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the tip. This is the first real dry day in a while, and I'll be putting the tractor to the big test today.
It should behave very nicely, I am sure. --- Edp