jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 12:08 AM

Looks like I'm picking up a Raider 14 here soon. I'm new to the world of Wheel Horses and would like to know the differences in the Bronco, Raider, and Charger models. A quick description would suffice - I'm sure I learn much more as I go. That's what make this hobby fun! Pictures may be in the future.

#2 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 12:10 AM

Should have listed a specific. I'm looking to possibly get a sleeve hitch (clevis hitch from what I have seen) to slap a plow on this machine eventually. Which models or from what models would fit a Raider 14?

#3 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 12:55 AM

Raiders, built 1968-1972, are all 8 speeds w/ manual lift. Chargers, built 1968-1972, are all hydro's w/ manual lift and some came factory with the electric clutch. W/H built the Charger line w/ 7-12hp engines on them. Bronco's, built 1971-1972, were the top of the line taking the place of the Electro 12 which was built 1968-1970. They are Hydros w/ hydraulic lit and electric clutches standard equip. 1971 Bronco's had the push/pull choke and throttle control while the 1972 had the slide type controls. Raider 14's are kinda rare built only in 1972 with the 14hp Kohler. Here are some examples:

My Raider 14

Posted Image

This was my Dad's Charger 10

Posted Image

My Bronco 14

Posted Image

One of four of my Electro's

Posted Image

The clevis hitch from any year will fit but they are expensive, especially this time of year! You can get one of these slot hitch adapter's for around $50 on ebay, and they actually are a whole lot more stable than the clevis hitch.

Posted Image

Edited by jusjeepn, April 09, 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#4 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 03:10 AM

Not sure on the correct type hitch for the other models,but my raider 12 has sleeve hitch.My brothers raider 12 has slot hitch.I'm guessing you could use either on yours.

#5 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 03:34 PM

Are there any other items necessary for the lift mechanism such as a chain/link bar/cable/etc. What would I need besides the slot hitch or clevis hitch to make it work?

#6 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 04:38 PM

The raider 12s just have a cable running from lift handle to sleeve hitch.Not sure about the other models.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 06:28 PM

This is an era of Wheel Horse production that I don't know much about, but I believe that they all used a cable on them to lift the slot or clevis hitch.

#8 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 12:14 AM

That's correct They are all cable operated. The W/H factory Sleeve hitch is prone to bending when a side load is put on it such as making a turn with out lifting the attachment first. The one I have pictured was Brinly's answer to using the existing slot hitch to attach their implements. Your Raider, if not equiped, will need the cable and clevis for attachment to the lifting rock shaft. These cables and most related parts are NLA through Toro. Your local hardware store or TSC has the cable, cable clamps, thimbles, and clevis' needed to assemble what you need. If your Raider is not equiped with the tube for the cable to slide through, you can use steel brake line found at any auto parts store or give me a shout. I have several collecting dust on the shelf. If you need measurements, let me know. I could even put you an entire assembly together if you'd like!

Edited by jusjeepn, April 10, 2012 - 12:16 AM.

• jdslednut said thank you

#9 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 12:47 AM

Thanks jusjeepn! I had better be sure to get it home and make sure it doesn't smoke like a you know what before I start to dreaming too much.

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 09:50 PM

I made one up for a friend's Daughter as a Birthday present who has a Commando 8. I decided that I wanted to try and keep it looking as stock as I could. Here's some pics I snapped when I finished it.

IMAG0148.jpg IMAG0152.jpg IMAG0149.jpg
  • jdslednut said thank you

#11 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 11:58 PM

Steve, That looks awesome! Where did you find your crimp ends? Those are really nice!

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the compliment! You can get them (as well as a lot of different fittings) at just about any marine rigging supplier...The crimpers are expensive though! I have a set of crimpers that aren't exactly what these were designed to have used on them, but they worked well enough. Like I said the correct ones were REALLY pricey and not worth the investment unless you plan to make and sell a lot of them to recoup the cost...or independantly wealthy LOL.
I made the clevises out of flat stock. I made a form to bend them on.
  • KennyP and jusjeepn have said thanks