wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 07:30 PM

Well, most know by now that I sold the Case 444 to a local friend, but I still help him work on it. Last week we put the hydraulic PTO valve on and got the tiller working. On Saturday, I went to his house to see how he was doing with his tilling. He said "This thing doesn't have enough power to turn the tines and move forward." So my obvious question was "What direction are you running the tiller?" Of course his answer was "Well, one set of the tines were on the wrong way so I switched those first so they all cut the same way." And you can guess my next question was "What direction?" and got "Backwards." Obviously that was why it was struggling to move forward.

So I explained that you till with your tines turning in the same direction you travel, and generally, that direction is forward. So he asked "Then why were most the tines put on to cut the other way?" I mentioned to him that the PO before me had the tiller apart, and he slid the tine holders all back on the opposite way, except the ones on the tiller extension bracket, which my friend had just switched around.

So I must ask the Case experts... why can you run the tiller wither way, but the tines only work one direction???

Now, the second part of the story...

When I had arrived I learned of an issue that he had while he was working the garden... and when he said it I was dumbfounded.. The spark plug... popped out!! Upon inspection we saw a crack in the head going out from one side of the spark plug hole. I never remember the crack, but I never remember the engine that hot, could hardly touch it... so... could he have overheated it running the tiller backwards and the tractor forwards??

So now we have to put a new head on the Case, he is fine with that though, he understands old equipment well, it breaks... lol. I am just glad he is a great friend. My only concern is that I may be working on this tractor forever!! Still!! lol

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, April 08, 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 07:41 PM

That's just the way it happens sometimes Casey LOL! I thought that this was a hobby for you. You should welcome the opportunity to work on everyone elses stuff...at least that's the way they see it!

#3 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 07:43 PM

If that is a hydraulic tiller could the lines be backwards to and from it?

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 08:10 PM

The valve two run the tiller is designed for two directions.
  • Michiganmobileman said thank you

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 08:12 PM

That's just the way it happens sometimes Casey LOL! I thought that this was a hobby for you. You should welcome the opportunity to work on everyone elses stuff...at least that's the way they see it!

I dunno Steve, it is nice, but it reminds me it used to be mine, and scares me lol.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Probably the tiller turns both ways to finish the corners or to allow you to unwind the string that got in the garden somehow.

Casey, 2 questions on the engine.

Are you sure it isn't running lean?

Were the plugs the right length? (plug not to long and hitting the piston)

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 08:42 PM

It only smokes on startup, and that is the choke... It ran at plow day last year and when the plow sank in the ground... it stalled out. So I have no clue what is going on. It has a Walbro carb on it, could that have and adverse effect??

#8 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 11:59 PM

Well I was gonna Ha ha ha, but that would not be nice, first ,once the 'mistakes and misgivings' are worked out he is going to have a great tractor...as far as the head goes, perhaps it is so 'hot' now because there is to much air in the combustion chamber due to leaks that the increased air is making the motor run lean...which will lead to 'hot'. so have him remove the head, and replace it or take it to a good welder have the head welded , I know it is aluminum. But get it fixed, make sure the threads are proper, and it is nice and flat, once the head is flat, have a machine shop mill it a bit 'not much though' and when it is flat and seals properly put on a new gasket and like any khohler, as long as there is adequate oil it will likely run forever. He needs to check to make sure the right plug is in it, and the fuel lines have been changed, and carb thoroughly cleaned out, along with the fuel tank, once he puts it back together, using the sealant, and properly torqued it will pur like a kitten. GL casey.

Oh and I add before doing ANY work it should be running right otherwise, you're gonna get erroneous symptoms. So, you have to start from ground 'zero' meaning it should be running properly in order to diagnose anything with the equipment...otherwise you're likely to burn stuff up...GL once again

Edited by NutCASE, April 09, 2012 - 12:00 AM.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 12:20 AM

Well, it was all new gas, lines are good, everything is good. Only question was the final RPM the engine is running at. I zeroed out the gov setting and put the spring in the correct holes, and told him to check the rpm as the throttle cable is adjusted.. He put it to work, but whether he did that or not, I dunno. He is mechanically inclined so he should know to do things like that, but he was fine with the way it was running when he bought it. I know it has oil, I checked that before I sold it, I just don't know if it is getting the proper cooling which is a rate of RPM isn't it? I know this, it has cooling fins on the flywheel, and all shrouds were in place, as well as head cooling fins clear. But he was working it pretty hard, so we will see. I might make him mount an auxillary electric cooling fan on top of the thing to suck air though, just to ensure it is getting plenty of air movement...

#10 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 01:54 AM

He is mechanically inclined ... But he was working it pretty hard, so we will see.

Casey there is an RPM gauge for single cylinder motors, and if he is mechanically inclined, he should k,now this. If the motor is over reved then all bets are off because this is a simple process, and setting it up the way it was is a sure recipe for disaster, not knowing precisely how fast the motor is spinning is just ...crude! As far as working it hard, that tractor when properly configured will work hard all day and night and never lose an ounce of performance......get it setup right, right plug, right air mixture, right fuel, proper oil the single cylinder kohler is legendary for its performance. GL
The only things that can cause an engine to overheat and loose power are as follows:
  • Clogged cooling fins or broken fins on the flywheel
  • Too high compression ratio for the grade of gas being used
  • Ignition timing advanced too much
  • Lean fuel mixture
  • Vacuum leak at the carburetor, which will also cause a lean fuel mixture.

• MH81 and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#11 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 09:01 AM

A vacuum leak at the carb will also make it run wild and over rev

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 10:23 AM

Jim, I know the Kohler is legendary for performance, that is why I was shocked he blew out the plug. I did of course sell the tractor, but I still feel responsible for making sure he does what it needs. He wants to make adjustments to get it running correctly, but he decided the garden tilling couldn't wait, and wanted to try out his new old Case in the garden. I don't know the RPM the engine is running at, but I know it isn't at the full power band...

I know this, he can't screw it up until it is fixed, and I will be there when he fixes it, and I guess I will take my mechanical RPM gauge with me during the repair. Try to get onto the S/G pulley and calculate the ratio. Plan is to get to rev up to only 3200 RPM.

#13 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 03:10 PM

As for the tiller. Case likely built it that way as it (the spool valve) allows for nearly any attachment to be mounted and run in whichever direction the attachament is designed for. Bi-directional rotation also make for a nice finish so that there is no dead furrow. Simply rotate the tines backwards a few turns and your good to go. This is the same concept that I'm working with on my little project. Truthfully...I'm using A LOT of the Case GT design ideas. :thumbs:

#14 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 12:08 AM

I remember as a kid, my dads Wheelhorse did not have that feature, he had me 'tilling' a quarter acre, and frequently I would till forward a few feet then back up a bit and hit the same spot or back into the area I just tilled to give a nice smooth well tilled surface. Last year Jack was tilling his neighbors yard with his 446 and I noticed it could go either way, so that is definitely the design, now how you want to use it...well, my friend that is entirely up to you!