Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

* * * * * 1 votes

Vote Now For Featured Tractor Of The Month Of May 2012

vote featured tractor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

Poll: Featured Tractor Voting May 2012 (168 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month for May 2012

1. Craftsman / Caterpillar - wvbuzzmaster (11 votes [6.51%])

Percentage of vote: 6.51%

2. Allis Grader - Michiganmobileman (31 votes [18.34%])

Percentage of vote: 18.34%

3. Bush Hog JBI Diesel - olcowhand (16 votes [9.47%])

Percentage of vote: 9.47%

4. John Deere 317 Special - grnspot110 (17 votes [10.06%])

Percentage of vote: 10.06%

5. Simplicity 627 Yeoman - bud119195 (9 votes [5.33%])

Percentage of vote: 5.33%

6. Sears Fabricobble - Gtractor (46 votes [27.22%])

Percentage of vote: 27.22%

7. Sears Suburban HC - Lauber1 (10 votes [5.92%])

Percentage of vote: 5.92%

8. Caterpillar D2 - HALFSCALE (29 votes [17.16%])

Percentage of vote: 17.16%

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of May 2012 has now officially started and will end the last day of April. The theme for this month is "Custom / Modified"

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of May and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. Our featured tractor winners are also printed in the LAGT magazine so if you are not a subscriber you are missing out.

We have 8 nominations this month, I have put them in the order the poll is so hopefully it makes it a little easier.
  • Caterpillar / Craftsman - wvbuzzmaster
  • Allis Grader - Michiganmobileman
  • Bush Hog JBI Diesel - olcowhand
  • John Deere 317 Special - grnspot110
  • Simplicity 627 Yeoman - bud119195
  • Sears Fabricobble - Gtractor
  • Sears Suburban HC - Lauber1
  • Caterpillar D2 - HALFSCALE

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

Please remember that the winning tractor cannot be nominated again for a full year. Thanks and good luck!

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 08:19 PM

I nominate the Caterpillar, and will just list all the upgrades.

Meet the Caterpillar… or rather a highly upgraded 1988 Craftsman GT18. It had a rough life before me as it was retired from mowing to drag logs up a hill, successfully I heard from the PO. The PO before him had done the Caterpillar repaint with decals, and that is what caught my eye on ebay, that and the 18 HP horizontal shaft Briggs & Stratton opposed twin engine, I bought it and drove the three hours for it, each way.

Once home I assessed the bare basic machine, it was dismal, but it did have two things going for it… starting with it ran good, and the hi/low transaxle worked well, once I freed up the range pin. So I began to use it as a go to machine and kept asking why I still had it. So I decided abuse it more and more to make the transaxle fail so I could have the engine for another project. After a year or two of it still working after dragging around steel I-beams 16 foot long and a 1000 pound trailer, I decided it needed some more features.

So I added a sleeve hitch, which was manual… I wasn’t going to have any of that from the start, so off to Harbor Freight I went to buy, a 2000 pound electric winch. I had seen a few people make this modification, but they all did it wrong, they mounted the winch way to low. I decided to put my winch, on a pedestal, literally. I mounted it to a 4 inch channel iron to stick it up to about the middle of the back of the seat. The winch creates effortless sleeve hitch operation, however, I had to finally address the issue of the battery not charging.

Could have just fixed the under the flywheel alternator, but, this is a work horse, I wanted off the shelf parts. So I mounted a 37 amp Delco-Remy alternator and wired it in. Instead of screwing with the old wiring, which had been highly hacked, I ripped it all out, and installed new, larger gauge wiring all around. Another thing I didn’t leave to chance was switches and gauges. All the old switches and gauges were replaced by automotive grade components. The ignition switch is for a commercial grade truck, the starter solenoid a pickup truck, and the ammeter was replaced by a voltage gauge. It works great, even with a few relays in the system to not fry the magneto… again LOL.

I finally got it to the next level recently, with the new tires. The front tires are 16x6.5-8 snow hog pattern snowblower tires mounted on the original front rims, giving superb steering capability. But the rears needed to be aggressive, so I turned to the ATV tire market. I found a brand new pair of 26x10.5-12 Titan brand Mud Monster tires, and mounted them on Cub Cadet brand 12x8.5 wide rear rims. I forwent filling the tires with fluid for now in favor of 100 pounds of cast iron wheel weights on each wheel (weights are mounted inside and out).

I followed the tires with a custom built front winch bumper. If I get a chance to I will bolt the winch on and update this before voting begins. There are more plans in the Caterpillars future because this year… I plan to break the transaxle. :D

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, April 02, 2012 - 08:51 PM.

• MF10Ryan and maxedout have said thanks

#3 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 08:44 PM

I would like to nominate my Four Wheel Drive Allis-Grader for this month’s contest. For those of you who are not yet up on the proper pronunciation of the term, the "s" is silent therefore this creation is pronounced "Al-E-Grader”

We moved to our lake property in winter of 2005 and now have about 600 foot of driveway to maintain. I had a box blade for the rear of my ford LGT 145 and my brother has a small Kubota with a back blade. These both worked OK but still left some "whoop-de-dos" and seemed to make the humps and holes grow instead of smoothing them out. So off I go to cyber space to see what was available that would do a better job. I ended up surfing many sites that had some good practical info regarding the advantages of a center mount grader blade over a rear mount. As I now considered myself more educated on graders in general, I decided to round up what I could find around here and build a center grader blade. This first blade was made from an old MTD plow swivel, cut up sides of a 100 pound LP tank and parts from a cub cadet mower carrier. I used this under my Allis Chalmers 919H with very good success. BIG difference over the rear mount blades and I was able to set the blade square and at an angle either direction. I hooked up a solid lift link and could raise the front of the tractor off the ground when lowering the blade down all the way. I used this grader blade and tractor for 5 years or so and was real happy with the outcome. But thanks to the info I had learned surfing about graders, swirling around in my head was an idea or two on what could be done to make it better.

In early spring of 2010 I found a CL buy close enough to go for a trip. I picked up a 1977 A/C 700 series with no engine, but in real good shape with a 3 speed with high low. When I got it home it was such good shape that I hated to disassemble it and thought I should just park it out back for a while and get working on a Simplicity 3314H that I had gotten earlier for a parts machine. As the simplicity came apart and I got down to the front end disassembly, the proverbial light bulb went on above my head. Out comes the reciprocating saw and some c-clamps, a 2x4 to support the hood and here was a mock up of a longer wheelbase tractor to use as a grader. Granted there was one too many sets of front tires on my prototype but the thought was there.

So the day came when I got ready to weld the two front ends together and I ended with this 13 inch extension, (a little shorter than my prototype). Then I thought about the extra rear end I had and figured, "Why not" and so the idea was born. After attaching and connecting the second rear end, adding the 16 HP Briggs and rewiring the Allis-Grader from its Kohler beginnings, she was put to driveway duty with the blade I had used on the 919H. And a darn fine job she did too.

But being the kind of guy I am, I knew there was still room for improvement. I decided the A-G needed a different “Grader-Like” blade with more adjustments keeping the side to side swivel by using a circle like a motor grader, blade angle to ground so I could cut slopes and blade tilt front to back for digging or smoothing. This was mostly built as I went along, again with what I could find laying around, but I started with a good basic idea and a car brake rotor as my “Circle”. Using some scrap steel I had, a blue dish shaped steel piece and some welding rod I came up with this. Now it was time to add the electric lift I had as this new Grader Blade creation weighed in at about 160 pounds.

The brake rotor with blade attached spins in a welded circle with the blue disc as the top support for the hanger. There is a stop bolt at both front “corners” of this circle that allow me to adjust the blade to any angle short of the rear tires. The front of the hanger attached at the front axle mower attachment points. But I could not get the side movement I wanted and after a few attempts I ended up with this as my height adjustment (the top piece in picture), one each side, which gives me a side to side lift height of 6 inches high right and seven high left. This was after figuring out that an upside down trailer ball hitch would give me the best swivel on the front end of the hanger, instead of the mower mount points on the axle. My new blade was even better, my prototype was built and proven and now time for some cosmetics.

I eventually welded the two hoods into one, added two sets of Carlisle Ag tires, a toothed scarifier bar in front of the blade, put a deep cycle battery in front of the motor with some extra grill work to cover the space on the sides, used cans upon cans of spray paint, and the current Allis-Grader now looks like this, with a short action video.

Good luck to all and let the games begin :laughingteeth:
graderproto1 (Large).JPG graderfrontend (Large).JPG reardecksup (Large).JPG lastpass (Large).JPG drivelastpass1 (Large).JPG newbladeofftop (Large).JPG newbladecircle (Large).JPG newbladebase (Large).JPG newbladerotorinside (Large).JPG leftpivotstop (Large).JPG Newadjsuteroldadjuster.JPG Allisgrader2012 (7).JPG Allisgrader2012 (13).JPG Allisgrader2012 (14).JPG Allisgrader2012 (12).JPG Allisgrader2012 (1).JPG

add a few pics and correct some weirdness in my story

Edited by Michiganmobileman, April 04, 2012 - 10:09 PM.

• jpackard56, MF10Ryan, kitepilot and 1 other said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,207 Thanks
  • 29,685 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 09:16 PM

I'll nominate my Bush Hog JBI Diesel. This tractor started life as a stock JBI that came OE with a 14hp Briggs gasoline engine. I removed the stock fenders/boxes, then built the rear fenders from flat stock plate & added running boards from a Massey 14. The engine was missing when I bought the JBI carcass, and I found a Kubota 25hp D1005 diesel engine out of a blacktop sealing machine.
I had to stretch the hood about 6", and modify the frame rails & grille to accept the radiator. I had to machine a flywheel adapter for the hydro's driveshaft. The hydrostat is a stock Hydrogear unit. I built a fuel tank from steel plate, with a filler neck from a 1964 Chevy Belair coming through the front of the dash tower. The throttle arm is hand built from steel stock also.
This thing is a powerhouse, but I do plan to put a 2 speed rear end from a Massey 1655 under it with the Sundstrand 15 pump, as it is a stronger paired unit. I have not had time to finish it, but after the drive is changed, I will start the cosmetic end of the project. New tires all around with all 4 fluid filled & cast weights on the rear. I also added power steering, plus built a 3pt lift from various parts from other makes. I added a hydrostat cooler up in front of the radiator and a 2nd set of cast weights to the rear rims.

as bought.jpg DSC00237.jpg DSC00253.JPG DSC00264.JPG DSC00333.JPG DSC00349.JPG DSC00354.JPG DSC00387.JPG DSC00371.JPG DSC00360.JPG

Here are a few up to date pics I took this morning. You can see the stacked weights on the rears. Also a better pic of the 3pt lift. I made the temporary hood decals in anticipation of a Fall plow days last year, but every one of them in my area got rained/flooded out. She's dirty in the pics, but she's been working!

DSC00761.JPG DSC00762.JPG DSC00763.JPG DSC00764.JPG

• jpackard56, MF10Ryan, kitepilot and 2 others have said thanks

#5 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Since we're talking "modifieds", I'll go with my 317 "Special".

I started out with a rolling chassis that I bought at an auction for $50:

GARDEN TRACTORS 583 (Small).jpg

I prefer to use incomplete tractors for modification! This one had the frame, rear end & steering, not much else. I was able to find an 18 HP Kohler Command from a Miller welder for $200. After that, I quit keeping track of expenses. First was to get the engine mounted & see that everything worked OK;

GARDEN TRACTORS 714 - Copy.jpg

Then the tractor was stripped to bare frame, stretched about 30", by welding on a section of another frame I found by placing a "Want" on CL. A local machine shop made the new drive shaft for me. Hydraulic lines from a local farm supply.

GARDEN TRACTORS 725 - Copy.jpg

I was able to pick up the other necessary body parts from various sources. Decided on Rustoleum "Dark Gray" for the paint color. I made the seat-for-two from aftermarket JD 40 seat cushions, welding up my own frame.

GARDEN TRACTORS 729 (Small).jpg

Then came the Oak dump bed, I planed the native White Oak lumber from my parents farm. Coated it with Minwax Spar Varnish. The flea market stainless steel, soda acid fire extinguishers are working "saddle tanks", along with the original gas tank.

GARDEN TRACTORS II 026 (Custom).jpg

The front bumper is an ATV bumper cut to size & mounted with the original spring pin mounting. I made the grille with 1/2" square tubing & had it powder coated silver. John Deere emblem is for a model 60 farm tractor. Running boards are from used pickup boards.

GARDEN TRACTORS II 001 (Small).jpg

The 317 "Special" is used for parades & tractor shows around the area.

GARDEN TRACTORS II 001 (Small).jpg

HPIM0590 - Copy.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM0575 - Copy.JPG

#6 bud119195 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 730
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 10:26 PM

I would like to nominate my SIMPLICITY 627 Yeoman I have done lots of mods to it trying to keep it looking like the yeoman that it once was. Under the modified hood there is a 18 hp Kohler engine that just barely fit
.Custom made the exhaust wich sounds real awsome with the duals hanging out the front I was still able to keep the gas tank in stock location,but I needed to mount battery under the seat in the rear of the tractor.
637 back.JPG
I made the hood scoop to cover the top of the motor and repainted the tractor,it origionally had turf tires but I added lugs to front and back to give it the big tractor look. it is a little tractor with tons of power. That I use to plow and pull trailers around when needed.Of all the tractors I have this one seems to be my favorite.even though it is one of the smallest I use it is the most fun to use
637 l side.JPG
637 r side a.JPG

#7 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,373 Thanks
  • 3,803 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 10:50 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by Gtractor, April 03, 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,421 Thanks
  • 2,783 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 03:05 AM

Ok gang, all i have is old tractors, so here is my 1961 Sears Suburban HC. I got this tractor from a friend out in Indiana, who had it sitting in his yard for several yrs. This is a model 618, the only DB model not to use the DB emblam on the hood face and also to use a 2 piece hood, instead of the normal 3 part one. I studied on this tractor for a yr, as it was in bad shape, four of us picked it up and loaded it into the truck, because all the rims had rotted off. One day i said, you know i need a High Clearance tractor, and thats what the HC stands for. I decided right off that anything i did to it wasnt going to hurt it permanatly. High clearance machine need taller back wheels, so i took the hubs from a 135 model walk behind and mounted them to the Sub's rear axils. Now i could install 16" wheel, instead of the orginal 12" ones. The front came off of another Simplicity walker. They being 3x12, had there centers removed and a plate install, redrilled to fit the front hubs of a 62' model 623 Suburban.

Now that we had a roller, it was time to pick an engine. I wanted some better power, and electric start, so i picked out a mid 70's 10hp Briggs, i just happened to have on the shelf. By careful measuring, i got this engine to sit in the excat same place as the orginal one, both forwards and in height, so that the orginal belts could be used. Under it is a custom mount, that the bottom of fits the frame and the top fits the engine. No extra holes had to be drilled. All this was good until i went to mount the hood. It didnt clear the engine, in its orginal position. By using a cardboard fake hood, i figured out all that was really needed was an inch of frame welded to the front and a new set of hinge mounting holes for the pivit point. This is the only permenant modification made to the whole project.

Since the tractor was being modified from orginal, i decided not to paint it in any of the normal DB colors, and went with Federal Gray wheels, and Royal Blue for most of the rest. I've never repainted the engine, as i kind of like that bronze/gold color. I had the local muffler shop bend me a custom fit straight pipe, complete with rain flapper, to finish the engine off, installed a simple battery box and heavy push button for the starter. A kill swicth was also installed in to the hoods rear panal just for safty, as the DB has no braking system. i found some cool chrome skulls to put on for valve stem caps, and made a little trip to the sign shop for the DB Suburban/High Clearance decals.

The greatest part of this tractor is that in about 2 1/2 hrs, i can remove all the mod's, reinstall orginal parts, and be back to what it looked like new. i found out later on that the weld 1" to the frame didnt interfear with its fit on the orginal style 5.75 engine.

Attached Thumbnails

• 618hc.jpg
  • 618hc1.jpg
  • 618hc2.jpg
  • 618 inside.jpg

• Member No: 4343
  • 409 Thanks
  • 482 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 05:52 PM

I would like to throw my half size Caterpillar D2 in the mix. This was my first garden tractor to customize and was the start of my addiction to fabricating halfscale tractors

It started life as an Agritrac model F with the high lift loader and ripper.When I bought it there were a lot of issues, a locked up engine, trans with the teeth knocked off and a broken axle. But after complete disassembly and sand blasting a NOS 16HP briggs single lung big block was found for the power plant, The 3 speed trans was robbed from a home made tobacco cultivator, which i found out was from a Ford model A . The 3 speed gave me a lower low and a higher high than the original trans. As a side note that same tobacco cultivator gave me the rear that was used as the front axle in the Moline G706
The seat tank was modeled after a 56-57 D2 and is used as my hydraulic tank. Since the last of the D2's offered direct start, I opted not to put a pony engine in.The air cleaner was severely modified from a Farmall cub.PA14571227504.jpg
The other unique feature is the trunion suspension. The Agritrac track frames were welded solid to the frame, but by building a trunion in the rear and using a boat trailer spring across the front it articulates like the real D2's. The track frame will go up or down about 6 inches.PA14571227518.jpg
The tractor weighs in at 2000 lbs on the nose and pulls my 3 bottom trailing plow with ease.
PA14571227502.jpg PA14571227505.jpg PA14571227514.jpg

Edited by HALFSCALE, April 05, 2012 - 08:22 AM.

• MF10Ryan, maxedout and superbsuburban have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 07:38 PM

Let the voting begin.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 10:33 AM

Well,we have just 14 votes so far.But that is not surprising,seeing as it is hard to choose.

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 10:42 AM

I am torn between three of them now... and ruled mine out first thing. My only question is how I got even one vote so far next to the rest of these great builds lol. Can we just vote for three?? lol

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 12:51 PM

With all the other months I have voted I voted in the first few days, this one will take a lot more thought!

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,602 Thanks
  • 38,985 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Gonna take a while for me to cast a vote! I know which one I want to vote for, but I need to look at some others!

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 06:13 PM

I have cast my vote... I didn't vote for my own, but I did vote for a brand I have always been a sucker for... lol
  • MF10Ryan said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vote, featured tractor