12 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 10:25 PM

ok there might be a kubota z482 diesel engine from a pro heat generator for a tractor trailer on its way i was planing to repower my 1256 with it here are the problems at the moment
1 motor will be to big and long to fit in place of the Wisconsin engine so frame will need to be longer
2 where is the fuel tank going to go and what about the battery
3 the radiator issue where is that going to go
4 will the tractor be able to handle the power of the kubata engine
5 how will i get the pto and drive to work
6is it worth a repower ... the oem replacement Wisconsin engine burns oil will i really save on fuel costs ?
cheers
8tyman8

Edited by 8tyman8, April 07, 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 04:38 AM

If that's off of a generator,wouldn't it be a pre-set RPM ? Will you have throttle control ?

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 06:33 AM

Sounds to me like you need to look for a bigger recipient tractor. Most of your problems will be solved with a bigger chassis.

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 09:50 PM

Whether or not the throttle can be used for variable speeds depends on the engine and throttle controls. I'm using a Lister - Petters that was used on a power supply. I am able to throttle it satisfactorily for my application. It was originally delivered as a set throttle.
You will be able to get by with a smaller tank and the battery always seems to present a challenge. As Brian suggested, this might be a good time to consider a larger tractor for your conversion. The larger the playing field the easier it is on you.
Good luck with your project.

#5 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 07:11 PM

working on using the same engine for my HT20. I think it was in the same application as well. Swaps are not easy in any way. Its usually pretty expensive and will require a lot of research to find out what will work.

MY 1250 diesel repower i had to lengthen the frame. Been working on that one for 14 months now but i made it into more than just an engine swap

#6 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 07:46 PM

working on using the same engine for my HT20. I think it was in the same application as well. Swaps are not easy in any way. Its usually pretty expensive and will require a lot of research to find out what will work.

MY 1250 diesel repower i had to lengthen the frame. Been working on that one for 14 months now but i made it into more than just an engine swap

You Ht20 Was it a Tight fit ? and did you use the Honda style Rad ? Also whats going on with the 1250 ? Have not seen a Up date in a While

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 03:37 AM

If that's off of a generator,wouldn't it be a pre-set RPM ? Will you have throttle control ?

With a hydro transmission, throttle control isn't all that important. Just as long as it will idle and run at full throttle that's all you really need with a hydro.

My hydro tractors spend 99.9% of their time at either idle or wide open.

#8 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 12:07 PM

I almost never use full throttle for normal garden tractor work. Only when I need rpm for pto apps. Most of the time u am maybe 1/4 at best. The Eaton 11 hydro is not that critical on rpm it will work great right down to an idle.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 01:13 PM

I have to agree with Keith that full throttle is very seldom used on my diesels. On the loader it is usually set between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle. I will run full throttle for mowing or going long distances. Hydro's are really nice so you don't have to be jockeying the throttle all the time.

#10 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 11:15 AM

You Ht20 Was it a Tight fit ? and did you use the Honda style Rad ? Also whats going on with the 1250 ? Have not seen a Up date in a While

My limited garage space has really unmotivated me this past year and ive kind of shifted gears to working as much as i can so i can buy a house. Im still getting little things done on them but its nothing like when i first started these projects. The 1250 will be going on for 3 years in Feburary so time flies. haha

#11 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 02:16 PM

over the last 2 days i have capped off all the lines and ports that are tempting to put stuff in also to keep Dirt and dust Out and cleaned it up And Some Arse hole Stole my De-greaser i took the box off the back of the engine To day i set in On the frame And the frame Needs to be 6" Longer So i am going to make extensions To Bolt into the front frame and axle here is the Other thread showing pictures http://gardentractor...repower-engine/ i will try to get a Rad soon
Cheers
Ty

#12 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 02:47 PM

Help ! does any one have a Tin oil pan ? for my Z482 ? if so can i get some Dimensions ? as i want to make my own pan Out of aluminum i have a Cast iron ? oil pan that's HUGE and is not going to work

#13 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Help ! does any one have a Tin oil pan ? for my Z482 ? if so can i get some Dimensions ? as i want to make my own pan Out of aluminum i have a Cast iron ? oil pan that's HUGE and is not going to work

The huge one you have now should be aluminum. Just buy the steel oil pan from kubota. Its not expensive. Check it out in my thread on the HT20 repower