• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 07:52 PM

When I got the MF12 I posted that I thought the trans was very noisy and wondered if there was a problem, well I was driving the 216 around that I rebuilt the engine on and the trans sounds exactly the same way so I have to assume the noise is normal because they both have the same trans.. Its when the trans goes from the coast to the drive side of the gears like when you go over a small hill, its definitely more than a whine, I'm gonna try some different gear oil in the trans. to try and quiet it down, I dont really like it.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 10:02 PM

Two suggestions for making it so that noise isn't so audible.

1: use 80-90 gear oil. That's what we used in Ryan's and it's pretty quiet.

2: get a louder muffler. :laughingteeth:

#3 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 06:11 AM

I'm changing the gear oil today along with the break-in engine oil, hopefully this will quiet it down. I'll update if this works.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 06:36 AM

There have been some threads in the JD forum where people have rebuilt the peerless trans in the 200 series tractors. If I remember correctly there was some discussion on how noisy they normally are. You might want to do a search and have a look. It seems to be a common problem area in those tractors.
  • Enginerod said thank you

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 09:22 AM

I have spent many hours on both gens of 110's as well as 200 series when new and used. In my experience the noise is normal. Synthetic gear lube or heavier weight lube is offered as a way to quite the. Your call on this stuff but I went conventional on the 110 then I replaced the transaxle with a good used one.

#6 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 08:11 AM

Well I changed the gear oil and there is no change in noise but I have watched a few youtube videos of 200 series JD's and they sound pretty much like mine so I guess they are normally pretty noisy. Also there were no unusual deposits on the magnetic drain plug. I may try an oil supplement like Lucas just for an experiment. Oh ya, my youngest daughter drove it and she said its hers, I told her I was gonna get rid of her simplicity 700 and she said thats OK.

#7 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• Member No: 1289
  • 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 08:55 AM

I have 3 gear drive Deeres. Only one, would I consider to be quiet. It seems to be the nature of the straight cut gears. Somes companies market a Climbing gear oil that is supposed to help, but I have never tried it.