• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Today I took my 312-8 out of hibernation in preparation for a summer of mowing. Adjusted the pto clutch, brake and checked the fuids. The transmission has about half fluid and is very gross looking so it deffinetly needs a change. I assume it takes normal transmission fluid?

#2 Mykol610 OFFLINE  

Mykol610
  • Member No: 9136
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 08:04 PM

It depends on if it has motor oil/ gear oil or tranny fluid. Some wheelhorses has different fluids or depending on the previous owners. But make sure whatever you take out goes back in, If its oil, don't put tranny fluid in. It can only be changed with a full overhaul. I would say if it looks horrid, change it & about 40 hours later, change it again. Just to get the last of the little crap out. And make sure you get a new filter too. Old filter with new fluid is like putting old fluid back in it.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 08:55 PM

It depends on if it has motor oil/ gear oil or tranny fluid. Some wheelhorses has different fluids or depending on the previous owners. But make sure whatever you take out goes back in, If its oil, don't put tranny fluid in. It can only be changed with a full overhaul. I would say if it looks horrid, change it & about 40 hours later, change it again. Just to get the last of the little crap out. And make sure you get a new filter too. Old filter with new fluid is like putting old fluid back in it.

Its not a hydrostatic, does it still have a filter? I didn't see one today when I looked.

Edited by Ryan313, April 05, 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 06:46 AM

Ryan, do you have the manual. In the manuals section there is one for the 314-8 and the 308-8 so maybe one of those would have the same tranny and tell you what oil to use. I'm not familiar with WH but in my MF8 with a peerless 3 speed it took gear oil.

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 12:46 PM

The 308-8 has the same tranny, I didnt look at the 314-8. It says to use 2qts of SAE 90 gear oil. Thanks, if you hadn't told me to look in the manual section I probably wouldn't have thought of it. :wallbanging: