8 replies to this topic

#1 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hi everyone,

I have an opportunity to purchase a Swisher Ride King 3 wheeled garden tractor. This is all the information the guy could give me at this time. What is everyone's opinion on these? I have never heard of or seen one of these so I don't know anything about them.

Your opinions are most welcome.

Thanks,

Clint.

#2 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 04:18 PM

My first rider was one of the old Swisher "Big Mow" 3-wheeled mowers around 25 years ago! Didn't do a bad job on level, smooth yard, but the single drive wheel didn't do very well on hills of soft ground. ~~ Lowell

#3 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 05:36 PM

They are very cool little mowers. Simple in their design.
Lowell you forgot to mention they're Missouri made. :thumbs:

#4 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 06:51 PM

Made by Swisher Mowers inc. in Warrensburg, Mo. They make a bunch of stuff from pellet stoves to pull behind and 3-wheel riding mowers and a whole lot more. Max Swisher doesn't own it anymore, had to sell-forced out. But they were in business from the late sixties up to about a year ago. New owners kept the name. If the mower you are thinking about buying has a steering wheel that is sort of at a 90 degree angle with the body, it is an older one. Usually 6 hp tecumseh motor, if I remember right. If the steering wheel is at an angle, it is a later model, and is an 8 hp tecumseh. Both of those used an all metal body/frame. The newer ones use a metal frame with a fiberglass body. The thing that wears out on them is the drive gear mechanism. But, it takes a lot years and a lot of abuse to wear it out. They are tough little riding lawn mowers. All are two speed, and are fun to use. I have seen them priced around here from a hundred to 3 hundred bucks. At the moment there is one behind the shed at my Dad's house. Been sitting there for a couple of years.

Edited by JBBR, April 05, 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#5 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 06:51 PM

If you like it buy it!

#6 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 06:59 PM

I think that the pitfalls have been pointed out now. It is an interesting concept a mowing. Heck it might be fun to try something new. Just remember to watch out for trees. The secretary at work said they had one when she was young and she got too close to the apple tree and the rear wheel climbed the tree, tipping the mower over. (she has had problems with other motorized things with wheels) Just had to relate this story.

KURTEE

#7 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Thanks guys. I am going to go look at these over the weekend and a few other "Oldies" as he put it. I like the older things but I like to use them. I'm not one for showing them off....unless they work! Why have them if you can't use and enjoy them.

Thanks for the input.

#8 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 09:12 PM

The one I had was a 6 HP Tecumseh, I think some of the later ones had a Briggs! The mowing height adjustment used bushings on the bottom of the blade spindle. ~~ Lowell

#9 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 09:51 PM

Here are pics of 2 older and 1 newer Swisher mowers for you.

Attached Thumbnails

• Fla12696.jpg
  • Fla12859.jpg
  • Fla121023.jpg