• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • Member No: 9349
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:20 PM

I am a Newbie here! So be kind.. haha Well I decided to get the old girl out and get her running again. 8 years ago it stopped while I was mowing, I could not get it started, I was working at the time and did not have time to work on it. But I did a few things checked for spark, it has spark but not real hot, fuel tank Line and filter all cleaned and or new. But still could not get her to start. So I bought a new Sears, So after 8 years I pulled her out checked for spark and it was still a bit weak, put some gas into the cylinder and she fired up. She has good compression does not use any oil to speak of but is still running rough.

Does anyone have to know what the correct plug should be? Right now I am using a Champion J8 long. Maybe the wrong one?

Any other suggestions would be a great help.

I did go to a local mower shop but they were not even interested, what happened to the good old boys that use to fix things....

Thanks for any help..

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:32 PM

I am a Newbie here! So be kind.. haha Well I decided to get the old girl out and get her running again. 8 years ago it stopped while I was mowing, I could not get it started, I was working at the time and did not have time to work on it. But I did a few things checked for spark, it has spark but not real hot, fuel tank Line and filter all cleaned and or new. But still could not get her to start. So I bought a new Sears, So after 8 years I pulled her out checked for spark and it was still a bit weak, put some gas into the cylinder and she fired up. She has good compression does not use any oil to speak of but is still running rough.

Does anyone have to know what the correct plug should be? Right now I am using a Champion J8 long. Maybe the wrong one?

Any other suggestions would be a great help.

I did go to a local mower shop but they were not even interested, what happened to the good old boys that use to fix things....

Thanks for any help..

Most of them retired, and for the most part the shops don't want to be bothered with old stuff, they just want you to buy the new models. ( more money in selling you a new machine)
  • kitepilot said thank you

#3 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:32 PM

Sorry!! :welcometogttalk:

#4 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:37 PM

Plug sounds like the right number, It sounds like a carb problem to me. just a couple of easy things 1st. Is the choke opening and closing freely? Is the air filter clean? If those are all good then I would venture to guess that the needle valve on the float is stuck closed.

#5 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:56 PM

Plug sounds like the right number, It sounds like a carb problem to me. just a couple of easy things 1st. Is the choke opening and closing freely? Is the air filter clean? If those are all good then I would venture to guess that the needle valve on the float is stuck closed.

I pulled the carb and it was spotless inside, but I cleaned blew it out and made sure all ports were clear, needle valve is fine and working properly, I might just think it is a timming problem but can I check that without pulling the flywheel?

#6 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 12:31 AM

If it started when you added gas to the cylinder but won't start using your carb then it wouldn't be timing. What engine do you have on that?

#7 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 12:55 AM

If it started when you added gas to the cylinder but won't start using your carb then it wouldn't be timing. What engine do you have on that?

It will start using the carb, but runs rough.. it is almost like it is firing too late, I just have not worked on small engines very much and I can only think if the flywheel broke loose a bit it might cause this. ..HMMM

#8 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 01:05 AM

It will start using the carb, but runs rough.. it is almost like it is firing too late, I just have not worked on small engines very much and I can only think if the flywheel broke loose a bit it might cause this. ..HMMM

Oh it is the B&S 16 hp cast Iron .

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 04:12 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. You say it has spark but not real hot. A weak spark will cause it to start hard and run rough as well. Have a look for any evidence of head gasket leaks which can also cause poor running.

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 04:30 AM

Welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#11 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 914 Thanks
  • 1,205 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 07:12 AM

welcome to the GTT forum glad you joined.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 08:00 AM

:wave: kitepilot! Welcome to GTTalk! We're glad to have you here with us! There are a lot of tings to check that could cause it to run rough. Several of them have already been mentioned. In addition to those things, you could do a compression test to see if the valves are seating properly. The coil could be marginal as well and making intermittent spark. A cheap, inline spark checker could show if the spark is erratic. Best of luck with it and keep us posted on what you find. Thanks for signing up.

#13 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 05:26 PM

Thank you guys for all of the help. You know being out here in california we dont seem to have as many LT people! Today I picked up a new plug, I did not know if the other plug was the right one but this time I used a non resistor plug! does that matter? Secondly for some reason I misplaced the cover for the air filter but when I went to Napa today they had the new filter for 12 dollars but then I was looking around and found a custom chrome air cleaner and new filter for 9 dollars that fit just ritght. So got some new chrome on her, looks nice. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will send it after I get the new exhaust stack on her, yeah I guess I got the GT bug that bit me, must have been when I was traveling back east this last year! But I have been really having fun with it, I hope to get some new paint on her and ride her in our little town parade in the spring, I want to pull my little trailer with the grandkids on some hay and let them throw candy to all the kids. Just a dream I had on my bucket list. Thanks all of you guys for your help, KP

#14 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hi again, well with some help from support I have my pics uploaded. I did push the thank you button on everyones replies but it did not register, so thank you guys for your help.

I hope I can get her running like some I have seen. Oh one thing she starts if I hold the throttle closed with my hand at the carb, but when the governor holds it open when I try to start it, it just floods out. Maybe this will give someone a clue about what is going on? I hope so.. Thanks again

#15 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Well some progress, when I first start her when cold I hold the carb closed until she fires but then when she is warm I can just start it like I use to years ago. Only thing I can think of is with the limited spark that it does not want a rich mixture to start when cold because of the limited spark. Only thing I can think of.. stay tuned. I will keep tinkering.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spark plug?