caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for your reply, I took the valve cover off and could not find a filter of any kind. if there should be one do you happen to know where it goes?

It may not have one. Not all of them did. If it has one, the cover would be a hollow box with a filter inside it. At any rate, if there isn't one there then it couldn't be plugged up and that's not your problem.

#17 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 12:15 AM

Nutndun, I got a chance to check the valve adjustments. The intake was .007 and the exhaust was .013. I hope I wrote that right! both were a couple thousanths off. I adjusted to .005 and .010 but did not have a chance yet to see if that took care of the noise.

#18 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 10:50 AM

i own a HH160 and an OH160 same motor HH was first year or two . both of mine produce tappet noise and the one is adjusted to half of the tollerance so it decompresses properlly and still ticks . if they had hydraulic lifters they would be quieter . there should be a fiber element on top of the valve cover under the cover the breather tube attaches to , if it isn't there it will decrease your vac/pressure signal to the fuel pump . you may want to check the oil return ports for obstructions as it may be filling the rocker box with oil and forcing it out the breather , stranger things have happened.
  • speedyg said thank you

#19 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:29 PM

bolex thanks for the info. I do not have a filter under the cover, it does look like one could be used. And I will also check the oil return ports. It is good to know that the tapping may be normal? as that one has conserned me.

#20 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 05:57 PM

mine make way more noise than the new ohv engines and i till and snowblow every year and no rebuild since i got it 4/5 years ago and the dudes complaint was the carb on the hh engine dumped fuel when you left the fuel on and he could not find a kit for it , it took me 5 min online and ended up switching to the later carb off the oh series i have for ease of adjustment . gonna go out and fire her up in a few and hook up the tiller and go play awhile :thumbs: :smilewink:
  • speedyg said thank you

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 07:08 PM

I swapped the breather filter from another engine that didn't puke oil and this engine still blows oil out the breather. :confuse:

I had that problem on a Kohler K321. It would be dripping every 4 or 5 feet as I drove the tractor. I removed the head and found a lot of carbon buildup on the top of the cylinder near the exhaust valve. The carbon had actually worn away part of the top of the piston. My theory is that the carbon was actually pushing the piston away from the cylinder on that side at the top of it's travel and allowing leakage past the rings. After cleaning the carbon and putting on a new Head Gasket the engine did not spit any oil out the breather at all. I also rebuilt the breather with a new filter and tube to the air cleaner housing. It's probably worth pulling the head to see what's up in there.
  • speedyg said thank you

#22 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 12:26 AM

I had that problem on a Kohler K321. It would be dripping every 4 or 5 feet as I drove the tractor. I removed the head and found a lot of carbon buildup on the top of the cylinder near the exhaust valve. The carbon had actually worn away part of the top of the piston. My theory is that the carbon was actually pushing the piston away from the cylinder on that side at the top of it's travel and allowing leakage past the rings. After cleaning the carbon and putting on a new Head Gasket the engine did not spit any oil out the breather at all. I also rebuilt the breather with a new filter and tube to the air cleaner housing. It's probably worth pulling the head to see what's up in there.

I pulled the plug the other day and noticed that it was wet and black? I wonder if the same thing is happening to my motor? Do you know how to make a head gasket and out of what material?

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 06:25 AM

I pulled the plug the other day and noticed that it was wet and black? I wonder if the same thing is happening to my motor? Do you know how to make a head gasket and out of what material?

Removing the head and having a look is a good start IMO. You can't make a Head Gasket. You have to buy a new one. It's not like a conventional gasket at all. I think carbon buildup is a big problem in many older engines. The Kohler service manual actually recommends de carboning the K series engine every 500hrs as preventive maintenance. This does not get done in many cases.
  • speedyg said thank you

#24 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 11:50 PM

Removing the head and having a look is a good start IMO. You can't make a Head Gasket. You have to buy a new one. It's not like a conventional gasket at all. I think carbon buildup is a big problem in many older engines. The Kohler service manual actually recommends de carboning the K series engine every 500hrs as preventive maintenance. This does not get done in many cases.

Brian do you happen to know where I can get another head gasket? I am thinking that if I pull the head that I will be forced to get one??? is that correct?

#25 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 11:55 PM

Also can anyone conferm what Caseguy brought up abput a filter in the valve cover. It looks like that there is a place for one on the bottom of the valve cover????

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 04:40 AM

Both parts are probably available thru one or more of our Site Sponsors. I know that member BHTS has good contacts for NOS and aftermarket parts for Teccy's. Others may as well. Give one of them a shout via PM and see what you can find out.
  • speedyg said thank you

#27 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 04:49 AM

As far as the crankcase vent breather filter get your engine information and search online for a parts diagram. That should show you if a filter is supposed to be there. You could also ask someone who knows these engines. I'm not familiar with them.
  • speedyg said thank you