• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 SawltyDawg OFFLINE  

SawltyDawg
  • Member No: 9351
  • 0 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 07:33 PM

Traded a small honda Quad for a Bush Hog T-63 today. Had no spark, no fuel to cylinder (Air side of carb was packed with dirt and sand due to no air cleaner and was laying on its side when I picked it up), Now I got spark and fuel to cylinder but cant keep it running unless its fully choked. Never had a tractor before that wouldn't run without a air cleaner before so need advice. Carb was cleaned out 3 times with carb cleaner (2 cans) and wire thru all parts of carb.
IMAG0021.jpg
IMAG0022.jpg
IMAG0023.jpg
IMAG0025.jpg
IMAG0026.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0030.jpg

Edited by SawltyDawg, April 04, 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 07:49 PM

SawltyDawg, :welcome: to GTtalk,

I'll probably defer to the BH wizards here, but I do wonder if the engine is getting some extra air. Possible reasons might be bad gaskets at the block, carb or both. Also the butterfly, is it really sloppy? Any extra air will mess with it.

One other thought, is the needle valve adjusted correctly?

The people with better answers should be along soon, just wanted to say "Hi" and ask a couple questions.
  • SawltyDawg said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:12 PM

Just a shot in the dark here but , I had a snowmobile carb that acted like yours , had it on and off about 4 times until I found a very small drilled hole in some kind of tube coming from the float bowel at a right angle , plugged , had to bend a pin about 1/16" from the end to get the thing opened . The other things you might want to check is the compression or low vacuum ? Keep trying, Al

#4 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Welcome to GTtalk! Glad you found this place! Great bunch of gt nuts here. hope you like it.

I brought home my Dads tiller Sunday to work on it because it would only run on full choke. The problem turned out to be the carb. needed to be cleaned out. I took the carb off the motor and the fuel bowl off the carb too and shot carb cleaner in all the holes, jets, etc. Did you take the carb apart to clean it? Might still be something in there. also, if you are using gas from the gas tank did you clean the gas tank first? change/add a fuel filter? hope this helps. good luck

Edited by JBBR, April 04, 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:28 PM

congratulations! I have just acquired on as well! I am not much help on carbs.....Good luck and welcome!

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hey, where's the flywheel? I doubt it would run well without the flywheel effect, but maybe the clutch gives it enough. Check the intake manifold where it mates to the block. It could be warped, letting air in. You're still gonna have to have the flywheel & cover for cooling even if you get it running.

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Ok if you have good comp, your prob is more than likely still with the carb. either you have a bad gasket and or a warped surface on the carb somewhere. or when you cleaned the carb you missed something. it is very easy to miss a port when you don't know what the little hole goes to. sometimes they branch off in the casting to places you can't see.
Is that a welch plug in the 1st picture? if it is, it is in-line with the idle air screw and that would have 2 or 3 little holes in it for your idle air mixture. I see them get blocked often on old carbs. spraying won't clean it, you would have to remove the plug and clean it out, then replace the plug with a new one or tap the hole and install a 1/8" pipe plug. I hope this helps. Biggest thing with an old carb is take your time cleaning and inspect everything.

#8 SawltyDawg OFFLINE  

SawltyDawg
  • 0 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:57 PM

First of thanx for all the fast replies. Here is more info on what I have done.

1. Compression push's finger right out of hole.
2. Right angle hole is clean did same thing with bent wire.
3. Tried Needle valve at 1/2 turn whole and 1 & 1/2 turns
4. Took carb off and apart 4 times scraping dirt and corrosion and used Carb cleaner and Air hose on it all 4 times
5. Dumped old fuel out. filled 1/4 New gas , shook then dumped and blew out with air hose. then filled full with new gas
6. New Fuel Line and filter also.
7. Dang never even noticed Flywheel and fan missing. Gonna have to get one.

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 09:13 PM

I just rebuilt an old zenith carb when I sprayed the small holes in side the carb it seemed like they were all clear, then I went at them with my welding tip cleaner, I found 1 hole that seemed to shallow to me when I had the wire in the hole, I kept at it and it finally poked through. come to find out it was the main idle air port. the other thing I found was the brass venture tube was not only plugged but it was cracked ( and there is no replacement available) so I had to clean and solder it back together. long story short, I could have missed both of these if I didn't take my time. Heck the venture tube I would of had no clue if I didn't remove the tube, it looked great before I removed it. If I didn't find that crack it would prob only run with the choke on.

#10 SawltyDawg OFFLINE  

SawltyDawg
  • 0 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 09:57 PM

I think this is a zenith carb. Says "L 80 N" also 13593. thats all I could find on the carb.

#11 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 10:43 PM

That is a Zenith, Mine is a L48 G, I called the venture the wrong thing, is is the main discharge jet, that is what shoots the fuel into the venture, That tube has a screw driver slot in the end of it, remove that and check all the little holes down the side of the tube. they usually plug up solid on an engine that sat for a long time with old fuel in it.The other problem spot is that idle air passage port, it is a small hole that leads straight down to the high speed adjusting screw, if that is plugged it will not get the fuel to idle. I would take the carb apart and soak it in a gallon can of carb cleaner for a day. take your time taking that brass tube out! spray with PB blaster 1st, get a screw driver that fits tight and tap the end of the screw driver with a hammer to shock the threads before trying to turn the screw driver! ( it helps trust me) remember it is brass so it will round off easily. what ever you decide Good luck! if I wasn't on the other end of the country I would fix it for you.

#12 SawltyDawg OFFLINE  

SawltyDawg
  • 0 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:42 PM

Another Idea I was wondering about is if there is another carburetor I could order to replace it?

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:58 PM

Another Idea I was wondering about is if there is another carburetor I could order to replace it?

I am sure there is. I would do some research on what ever engine that is. also I would check for that carb on ebay,also type in your engine on ebay and see what comes up under that. Good luck.

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 04:28 AM

SaltyDawg,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#15 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 09:09 AM

SaltyDawg, Welcome to GTTalk. It looks like you are in good hands with Chris M.