• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Steven N OFFLINE  

Steven N

• Member No: 6832
  • 20 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 04:34 PM

Following is a link to an article that appeared in The Mother Earth News in 1982. I remember getting my issue and reading the article and thinking " I remember seeing my uncle with one of those when I was a little kid." I can see him (in my mind) to this day wraping the rope around the spool and firing it up. Anyway, back in '82, I went to see my uncle a few days later and asked him about it. He said "yeah' it's setting back there behind the barn." I went and found it in a thicket of weeds but still in pretty good shape. The hood had kept the motor relatively safe and he had a turning plow and cultivators for it. I was disappointed that he had sold the disc to someone years earlier. I asked if he would sell it and he said "sure" and priced it all for $35.00. I bought it and was excited to have a DB of my own so soon after reading the article. I've been tinkering with them ever since.

I stumbled across this article a few weeks ago and it was like a blast from the past; bringing back fond memories of happy times. My uncle passed several years ago, but I still think of him often when piddling with my tractors. He was a cool and interesting character.

http://www.motherear...id-Bradley.aspx

Edited by Steven N, April 04, 2012 - 04:35 PM.

• chris m said thank you

#2 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 05:55 PM

Great! You will have fun with that I am sure. We want pics!

Geno

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for the article about the DBs , and the story about yours , Al

#4 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,451 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 12:40 AM

I believe that was the artical that the DB guys used to laugh about a few yrs ago. Im thinking the guy claimed the tranny was good if you could hear the hubs click.

if you have one db you will want another and another, thats the way it works out. There are about 23 models of the DB walker and probally 50 attachments, so your going to need a big shed.

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 03:04 AM

There were some things wrong with the article.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 04:24 AM

Thanks for posting the article.

#7 Steven N OFFLINE  

Steven N

• 20 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 08:19 AM

Yes, I agree, there were some discrepancies in the facts of the article, but the intent was to pay tribute to a well built little work horse and promote an interest in preserving a part of our agrictural heritage by showing its value in current times; and, at least in my case, it accompolished this. In a time when antique two wheeled garden tractors held little respect in the world of collectors and preservationists, who knows how many tractors and impliments may have been saved by the seed planted by this one article. I'm sure glad I read it.
  • PaPasTractor said thank you

#8 buzsawyer53 OFFLINE  

buzsawyer53
  • Member No: 10271
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 04:37 PM

Following is a link to an article that appeared in The Mother Earth News in 1982. I remember getting my issue and reading the article and thinking " I remember seeing my uncle with one of those when I was a little kid." I can see him (in my mind) to this day wraping the rope around the spool and firing it up. Anyway, back in '82, I went to see my uncle a few days later and asked him about it. He said "yeah' it's setting back there behind the barn." I went and found it in a thicket of weeds but still in pretty good shape. The hood had kept the motor relatively safe and he had a turning plow and cultivators for it. I was disappointed that he had sold the disc to someone years earlier. I asked if he would sell it and he said "sure" and priced it all for $35.00. I bought it and was excited to have a DB of my own so soon after reading the article. I've been tinkering with them ever since.

I stumbled across this article a few weeks ago and it was like a blast from the past; bringing back fond memories of happy times. My uncle passed several years ago, but I still think of him often when piddling with my tractors. He was a cool and interesting character.

http://www.motherear...id-Bradley.aspx

I have a similar story. I had read this article back then and about the same time had seen my girlfriends Grandfathers DB in his shed. I had my eyes on that thing for over twenty years and it finally came to me in about 2005. I am finally starting to work on it, a liitle at a time, and plan to do a complete restoration. I'll post more pictures somewhere soon.

#9 Steven N OFFLINE  

Steven N

• 20 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 06:22 PM

That's cool buzzsawyer. Appreciate hearing your story.

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 07:14 AM

Interesting tales of how you guys got started. Thank you for sharing your stories.