16 replies to this topic

#1 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hi Ya'll,

This is our David Bradley cart. Lucky for us the price was just up our alley.
It was the guy's show piece.

Attached Thumbnails

• Gen. Cart.jpg
  • 1873.JPG

#2 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 10:01 AM

Nice cart. I've never seen tri-ribs on one though.
  • DB1 said thank you

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 10:25 AM

I want one of these, or a Sulky.
  • DB1 said thank you

#4 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 10:31 AM

Nice cart. I've never seen tri-ribs on one though.

Well, I don't know if they original to the cart. What type of wheels do they usually have?
This guy was pretty particular when it came to his DB stuff. He might have wanted something special.
But, at any rate, they are nice to look at.
  • PaPasTractor said thank you

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:48 AM

That is a cool looking "cart".
  • DB1 said thank you

#6 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 12:57 PM

scan0001.jpg DB1, Awsome looking Gen2 Hauling Cart you have there. I looked in the Sears farm catalog's for this Cart and I couldn't find a pic. I did find the Manual for this and all its says is to mount tubes and tires to wheels. I assume that you would use any tire you had available.
  • DB1 said thank you

#7 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 01:04 PM

My son informed those tires are just a few years old. They do make a statement.
Thanks PaPasTractor for the manual pic. Nice!

#8 Steven N OFFLINE  

Steven N

• Member No: 6832
  • 20 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 03:51 PM

VERY NICE !
  • DB1 said thank you

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 05:53 PM

I like it. I also like the tri ribs on it, even if not stock.
  • DB1 said thank you

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 01:23 AM

Your cart is know in the DB circles as a Gen2. there are several differnt carts made over the yrs, and most of them have pet names or parts of them do. The !st carts were made of steel and looked a lot like the modern steel ones you can by at a big box store. It had hard rubber tires, and the foot rests were mounted up on the front edge of the box. To my knowalge there are only 4 of these carts know to be complete with model tags. The second cart is the Gen2. It was a wooden unit and came in a few differnt set ups. The oldest used a rim with a triangle center plate with a bushing welded to the center that slid over the axil stub, and was held in place by a large cotter pin. The next version used a cast hub and a more modern wheel similar to what the tractors used. Most early carts didnt have a braking system, later they used an under slung one, then later yet they used an over slung one. The brake pads were made of wood, so the braking effort on a wet tire wasnt real good. There is also another cart we call the Gen2.5 as it has a diffenrt model number, but mostly looks excatly like a Gen2. The next is the Gen 3. This is the granddaddy of carts, being able to haul 17bu. It is longer than the 2, with twice the side height, and came with brakes from the factory. It also came drill for an extra side kit, that gave the top a flaired out look, or gull wings as collectors call them. Its hitch differs from the Gen 2 by hooking to the rear eye of the tractor, and using the saddle bar as a bearing point. The earlier cart used a hitch that went into the front eye, under the tranny case, then hooked to the saddle bar, and used a common 5/8 bolt as its pin. All of these carts were made by a company called Dunbar-Kapple, who also made carts for early Cubs & Cub Cadet tractors and probally many other places. Another large cart was made for the Suburban riders and Tri-cut mowers. These units use the same setup as a Gen3, but without a seat, nor brakes, and had a factory installed ball type hitch. They also came facorty with the gull wings. All of these carts were painted Electric Blue, instead of the red/green/varnish combo of the walker ones. The last cart built was another steel one, similar to the Gen1, but it came with a bolt on kit for the tongue so you could either use it with the walker, or the rider.

i own a Gen2, Gen3 and the big one for the Suburban rider, and i also have the manual for the last type built. I like carts, they are hard to haul to shows, but pretty impressive hooked to the tractor.
  • DB1 said thank you

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 12:52 PM

let try some pictures:

Attached Thumbnails

• gen1 cart.jpg
  • gen 2 cart.jpg
  • gen3 cart.jpg
  • 113.JPG

• DB1 said thank you

#12 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 09:34 AM

HI Jeff,

Great pictures you have there. I want a Gen. 3. The wooden flared side make a statement. It is charming.
What is the model number of the blue DB with the cart? I have never seen a blue DB garden tractor.
Thanks,
Candy

#13 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 08:38 AM

the blue one is probally a 144. made at the end of DB. There were a lot of colors used over the yrs on tractors and attachments. I beleive the blue color start to show up in 1958, right before the Suburban riders. There was also a walk behind model called a Suburban, that was gold and blue. Most stuff was painted in the green/red combo, but there is also some tractors with yellow wheels, some with white ones, some with blue ones, and for some reason even some all red wheels. Even the green had a darker and lite color. No one has even made sence of why odd colored stuff shows up, like green wheel weights, or why sometimes a tractor that would have been bronze and blue ,showed up in red/green. Its very common to find stuff thats been redipped to another color.

As far as i know no blue carts have ever showed up, but blue sulkys, disc, seeder, plows, have. I have seen a couple of gray rider attachments, and a green walker harrow. Maybe people back in the 50's got bored and played alittle at work, like some do today.
  • DB1 said thank you

#14 Lsheesley OFFLINE  

Lsheesley
  • Member No: 10454
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 01:21 PM

Good afternoon guys, I used to have a very large garden tractor collection but have liquidated almost all of it however while looking around trying to find information about this David Bradley cart i have had for ever I came across your discussion. My cart is blue had David Bradley in black lettering on the side. The odd thing about this cart is that it has 2 swivel wheel on it and looks to me like it would mount on the front and dump kind of like a concrete buggy. I will get some pictures but I am working on an old car now and should sell this other stuff to help out. The tag # on it is 917.60104 What do you guys know about a cart like this? did it go on a rider or a walkbehind?

Edited by Lsheesley, July 07, 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#15 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 01:42 PM

your cart goes to the front of a late mode lhandiman tractor, called the little burger by collectors. These were made in the late fiftys.