#1 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2629
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 01:16 AM

ok just curious i was looking around and saw a jd 322 with a gas powered 3 cyl yanmar im not looking to buy one but i dont know much about the 3 cyl anyone have any thoughts on them?are the gas ones very reliable? my lil generator on my semi runs a 3 cyl yanmar diesel and it has 19,000 hrs on it and still going strong prob the best investment ever made.

also the yanmars on like the 430 what type of life are they expected to have? do they need overheads like the big engines?

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 05:02 AM

I know the Yanmar diesels have a good rep here and are commonly used in marine applications where reliability is a must. The 322 is a real oddity and I think it may have been JD's first stab at a liquid cooled gas powered GT. They switched to Kawasaki engines for that application but have stuck with Yanmar diesels in their compact tractors. As with all engines, how they are maintained is a big factor in longevity. I would bet that the yanmar gas engine would have a long life but I wonder if parts are still available. A look on jdparts would check cost and availability. There are some 322 owners here and maybe they can give you an opinion. I know the Kawi. LC vtwins can go 3000 hrs if properly maintained and not abused.
  • pumpkintoter said thank you

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 12:29 PM

Yanmar diesels are a very good investment. Known for long trouble free service. The gas engines are not very common from my experience.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 02:31 PM

I "think" the gas Yanmars use much the same lower end as their diesel brothers. If that is the case, then reliability should be amazingly good.

#5 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2629
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 10:57 PM

so is there any special type of maintenance required? or just basic oil changes?