• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 08:11 PM

I finished packing the morning's chopping at 10:37.  Got cleaned up & we all went to dinner.  Dad had me drive his Crown Vic, and it drives so smooth it's a wonder I didn't get a speeding ticket.  Too curvy where we went to use cruise control.  Mom, Dad, Teresa & I had a great dinner, then we drove down some roads we've never driven in a long time.  Got home, lounged around a bit, tried going outside to putter around with GT's, but too danged hot to be enjoyable.  So Teresa & I headed to the Amish salvage grocery & got some grub for the cubbards.  Came home, lounged a bit more, then I went out, as it finally cooled down (reads "less hot") & did some puttering on my Massey"2055".  Reinstalled the rear pto belts I had slipped off the pulleys some time ago to stop needless wear when not using the pto.  May be selling it, so getting things all ready just in case.  Now I sit here at the computer before watching a little TV.  Been a nice day!  

BTW....Dad installed a west coast style mirror on the right side of the tractor cab he chops with.  His neck has been his main problem, turning to see all that's going on with the chopper.  He was feeling like his chopping days were over this year, but now he can see everything he needs to with the mirror.  Also has an oversize convex round mirror on the normal mirror too for a wide angle view also.  He is thrilled with how much easier it makes it to chop.  The chopper is also working flawlessly now, which makes his life in the cab much easier also.   :thumbs:

Monday the heat is turning on, so I have to get our jury rigged cooling fan in the passenger window of the GMC Topkick we haul the silage in with.  Just a radiator cooling fan we have rigged to slip over the window opening to blow out, sucking air into the driver window.  Night & day difference in being able to stand being in that truck.  I installed one years back when we 1st got this Cat 910 payloader too.  Even with the fan, temps in the cab even with windows & door open (from engine heat) can run 125+ easily when temps hit 95 or higher.  Gotta have plenty of fluids on hand!

• Craig., HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1427 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:08 PM

Sounds like you had a great and relaxing day with the Family. The GT's will be there tomorrow or the next day, you needed to rest part of the day.

#1428 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 10:54 AM

Chopping fast as we can.  When dad broke for lunch, I had to run the GMC to town to fill her up.  Our road diesel tank is empty, so a quick fill up of $216 worth of fuel.  Lunch will be short & sweet.  This morning was wild, as the lot need scraped bad, so I scraped all the manure to the lower end of the lot after putting cows in the milking holding pen before even starting milking.  Then I forgot to latch the gate in the parlor, and with milkers on, all that side of cows took out the door.......what a mess!  Milkers laid out all over the place!  My mistake, not the cows.  :(

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1429 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Nothing like getting busy and making more work for yourself. My motto is slow down and go faster. Fewer mistakes equals more work.

#1430 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 12:07 PM

Nothing like getting busy and making more work for yourself. My motto is slow down and go faster. Fewer mistakes equals more work.

That is true, but once locked & loaded in high gear....it's on!  Cooler filled up & out the door!

• Craig. said thank you

#1431 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 11:19 AM

Actually, being in a hurry the morning the cows took off on me was nothing to do with being in a hurry that morning.  It was due to being so hot & in a hurry to leave the parlor the night before.  The parlor was miserably hot & humid, so I strayed from my routine, which normally includes making sure I latch those gates so they are ready the next morning.  Being so hot, I shoved the gates over, but failed to latch them.  So the 1st group came to escape due to that routine change. Note to self...don't vary your routine!

Milked this morning without incident, then took 2 hours seat time on the Massey 1655D w/FEL to sawdust every single stall, 90 total.  Back to chopping in just a bit.  Dad took Mom to her regular Dr checkup this morning, so we took care of other things that needed done.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1432 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:36 AM

On lunch break from chopping silage.  Gonna be lots hotter than yesterday, being there is no breeze at all, and yesterday we had a stiff breeze which helped carry engine heat away from the loader.  Today the heat envelops the cab, then my personal cooling fan blows hot air on me.  Still better than no air movement at all.  Lots of fluids helps more than anything.  Might get this pit topped off tomorrow, so here's to hoping we do!  :thumbs:   This will leave one large pit to fill starting Monday.  If we finish this one tomorrow, we'll take a weekend break from it.   But likely have to spend all Saturday morning covering with plastic & tires.

• powerking56, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#1433 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Have fun! I'll be thinking of ya! :-)

#1434 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:11 AM

Glad you are getting the pits full. I know what you mean about the warm air around you, same thing going on here. Upper 90's with very little to no wind!

#1435 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Not feeling so good the last 3 days, and today is no better, but have to work no matter what.  We'll start chopping again in just a few minutes.  At least 2 cows have calves in the dry field to get in.  I milked this morning, and do again tonight, as well as all chores tomorrow.  I have no energy, and will be good to limp through today.  Still....gotta git it done.

#1436 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Working when sick is not fun. It's amazing how one day you are normal and the next you just NO energy and feel like you're dragging a pile of bricks.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#1437 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:53 AM

My heart has been skipping & flopping BAD the last couple days being the worst.  Turns out Brian (TD&H) has helped me start to recover from a case of potassium deficiency.  I should have known, being I had to eat bananas a few days ago for a bad muscle twitch.  The twitch left, then the heart palpitations started.  I didn't know Low P affected the heart like this, but it sure does!  I've drank a quart of product similar to Gatorade & palpitations have greatly subsided.   Still having some, but not nearly as severe as before.  I sweat like a water spicket, so I lose a lot of P.  I'm gonna get some potassium supplement tablets for the sweat season.  I also read that caffeine enhances the potassium loss, so I'm on decaf coffee now.  Feel much better than this morning, but still like 75%.  

THANKS BRIAN!  Having tractor buddies is good for your health!  

We will wrap this pit up today.  It won't be as high as we could go, but decided to just call it done & rest what we can for the weekend.  

• powerking56, Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#1438 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:20 AM

Glad you are starting to feel better, I wasn't aware that caffeine affected P. levels, learned something new.......

#1439 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Well, the silage dump wagon started giving troubles, and I had the pit rounded off pretty good already, so I called Dad & told him we are done with silage for the day, and this pit was finished.  Dad usually will have some sort of argument, but he had none today.  Taking a half hour break, then getting the other cow with calf in.  I got the other one in while between loads of silage.  We were planning to start the final pit Monday, but the dump wagon and anything else needing attention must be tended to first.  Dad wants to bandaid the wagon, but I wanna figure what's causing the issue before slapping a half fix on it.  It's too danged oppressively hot to be fighting equipment.  The wagon won't fit inside the shop, but there's shade trees at dad's we can work under.

• powerking56, Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1440 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 03:18 PM

Well, there was a total of 3 new babies with momma cows.  Just finished putting the calves in fresh stalls, and momma cows are up as well.  Wrestling the calves got my heart skipping a lot again.  Almost time to start milking again, and I dread it.  I am depleted.  Tomorrow morning we'll try to get this latest silage pit covered in plastic with tires.  Not looking forward to that either.  I hate being so draggy.  Sometime over the weekend I have to get rid of a pile of bad silage.  Teresa's Dad saw the pile & said he'd love to have some for his garden, but he didn't have time to trailer it over there, as he's helping his BIL put up hay.   Well, I'm gonna load him a big 2 ton truckload of it & deliver!  He has a large garden, so he may get 2 loads.  This pile has to be moved to start filling our last silage pit.

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks