• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 12:36 PM

Silage chopper is down, and down hard!  Not the head where I expected, but the main gearbox is locked solid.  Had to come in for a bandana to keep the sweat outta my eyes.  Wish us luck...we need some about now.

• powerking56, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#1367 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Well that's not good, hopefully it's something simple. Good Luck !!

#1368 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 03:08 PM

Sorry to hear the chopper went down, hope it is a straightforward inexpensive fix.

#1369 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 03:28 PM

That ain't good.Hope you get it fixed in a hurry

#1370 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:32 PM

Sorry to hear about this Daniel.  With no update by now, I surely hope you are going great guns and simply have been unable to update us, not still trying to fix it.

Edited by HowardsMF155, August 19, 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#1371 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 05:07 PM

That's not good! Want me to bring the Toro up?

#1372 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 05:09 PM

Just got in from the shop.  Almost 2 hours past feeding time, still yet to be done.  The gearbox had sprung a leak & was dry.  The needle bearing on the reverse idler gear was locked up, and new bearing is a 2 day wait....quickest I could find.  The pin presses in the gearcase that the needle & idler gear rides on, so I pressed it out & polished in the lathe, and it is fine.  It did grind on the case a bit, so I need to grind it down smooth, then we can shim washer that back to correct gear level.  It's a wonder the feeder chains didn't wad themselves up, as Dad didn't want to think about fixing it.  It was a sure fire guarantee of another breakdown.  So I INSISTED that the head come off.  Then he said we could fix it jacked up a foot or 2 off the floor instead of backing the chopper out, pulling the head & flipping it upside down for a proper fix.  He soon seen there was NO WAY we could fix it the way he wanted.  So as I had said an hour before & was ignored, we now had to move everything around out of the way so we would have room to flip it over.  We have the lower main shaft out, which allows the bad shaft bearing access.  That will be tomorrow, as I am shot.  I'll get some pics after I get the cows fed.  Looks like we'll lose most of, if not the entire week of chopping.   :wallbanging:  :(  :wallbanging:  :(  :wallbanging:   I'm worried about plow day now, but surely we'll get enough ground chopped before then.

Nothing is built like they used to be, especially bearings.  We've already found at least 2 other bearings that are getting sloppy, so while this head is upside down, we gotta go through the whole thing.

One of the biggest pains has been the poured on paint on the hex shaft.  Nothing would come off the shaft until we scraped the globbed on paint off, and that took some time.  Heading out to feed.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1373 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Sorry Daniel. I feel your pain.

#1374 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 05:58 PM

You may have seen it being done, but your mind has blocked it from memory!  Blood would shoot 10 feet or more after the cut.  Blood would be everywhere!  I want no more part of that ever again!

I no my memory isn't the greatest, but THAT I would remember lol, May be Grandpa thought I was to squeamish to watch that lol I'm glad I didn't.

#1375 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:10 PM

13 hours today, mostly bent over or hunched under the chopper, and my lower back says STOP!  So I am stopped.  For a short time anyway.  My yard needs mowing, but I'm not sure if it'll get mowed tonight or not.  Yesterday was my day off, and at the end of the day yesterday I told Teresa... "You know, today was a good day, and you KNOW we'll likely PAY for it tomorrow".  I am clairvoyant! 

Oh, I left out a nice tidbit.  As Dad & I were working on the chopper, Josh went to scrape the barn lot, and just left the cows up on one end while he did the lower side.  The bull & a cow in heat shot past him & took off out the gate.  Josh came running down to the shop...."A cow is in the manure pit"!    By the time I got back up there on the 4 wheeler, the cow was climbing up the steep embankment, a green cow that is, and she is fine, green & shaken, but fine.  The bull had given Josh warning before he came to get me, but I was in NO MOOD to fool with that danged bull.  I took the 4 wheeler right at him.  He postured for a second, then he seen I wasn't stopping, and you could see it on his face... "OH Sheet"!  He turned his butt & QUICKLY went back into the lot, no more Mr tough guy.  I would have rammed him too!  He's at least 1,600lbs, but when I'm mad, I'm dangerous!   Calling the vet early so he'll bring me a nice brass ring for the bull's nose.  He'll get a nice 4' piece of 1/4" chain to go onto it too.  That'll cure him of his ego!

Anyway, supper is almost done, so maybe I'll mow the yard, maybe I'll crash in my recliner after a shower.  All remains to be seen.

As I promised, some pics.  Here is the gearbox.  In the 1st pic, the gear is the one I pressed the needle bearing out of.  You can see the pin it rides on.  This is what locked things up & smoked the belts. 2nd pic is other half of gearcase.

DSC00087.JPG DSC00088.JPG

Here is the chopper head on it's top.

DSC00082.JPG

I pulled this hex shaft from the area in the 2nd pic below.

DSC00083.JPG DSC00084.JPG

To allow access to pull this shaft with the gear on it out.

DSC00085.JPG

But on the lower side of this shaft are 2 sets of gears that run the gathering chains, and all that has to come off as well.  Long day tomorrow.  First milking, then vet check, then finish the day in the shop.

DSC00086.JPG

• powerking56 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1376 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hang in there, Daniel, it can always get worse.

#1377 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:26 PM

All I can say is, Thank GOD for that box being belt driven or it could have been a TOTAL Loss of the gear box. And you didn't wreck any of the gear train as I can see. I know you will working your tail off to get it back up and running so not to loose cutting corn at the right time. Just be careful and don't rush and get hurt !! It will get better..

Oh, and I feel your pan on the Dad issues.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1378 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hang in there, Daniel, it can always get worse.

Shhhh, speak that softly......the mechanical gremlins might hear you!

• Craig. said thank you

#1379 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:30 PM

Gremlins can read minds

#1380 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:30 PM

All I can say is, Thank GOD for that box being belt driven or it could have been a TOTAL Loss of the gear box. And you didn't wreck any of the gear train as I can see. I know you will working your tail off to get it back up and running so not to loose cutting corn at the right time. Just be careful and don't rush and get hurt !! It will get better..

Oh, and I feel your pan on the Dad issues.

Yes, thanks to the belts, it's not much worse like it WOULD have been if direct drive.  With some luck, and a butt load of work, it may be possible to get back to chopping by Thursday afternoon.  Surely we'll be chopping Friday if the parts come in by Wednesday.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks