• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 05:46 PM

The field across the street is full of longhorns.   I want to talk to the guy that owns them and see if I can get one of the heads off of one that dies. I want to put the skull on my shop. Or just get a set of horns and make a nice hat rack.

Fair warning....those guys get good $'s for those skulls with horns, or horns alone.  Used to have a neighbor up the road that raised them.  Be ready to barter!

• KennyP said thank you

#1352 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 05:50 PM

Too bad they don't make polled Holsteins,  or do they?

Not that I'm aware of.  Yes, electric is the most efficient & humane way to go.  Paste can end up with some weird deformed horns that you can't remove due to crazy blood veins that won't stop bleeding no matter what you do.  I remember as a kid the vet using those giant dehorning guillotine things, and we actually still have that same set.  The sound it made when cutting through the bone would send chills down your spine.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1353 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 02:31 AM

I don't remember any dehorning, I no you guys did cuz u talked about it from time to time, just don't remember seeing it done. After hearing you talk about it I'm kind of glad I didn't lol

#1354 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 09:35 AM

I don't remember any dehorning, I no you guys did cuz u talked about it from time to time, just don't remember seeing it done. After hearing you talk about it I'm kind of glad I didn't lol

You may have seen it being done, but your mind has blocked it from memory!  Blood would shoot 10 feet or more after the cut.  Blood would be everywhere!  I want no more part of that ever again!

#1355 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 10:35 AM

I want to put the skull on my shop. Or just get a set of horns and make a nice hat rack.

I think a pair of horns would look good on the front of the Blue Ox. Havng the skull with it would make it even neater!

• Craig. said thank you

#1356 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 12:03 PM

I think a pair of horns would look good on the front of the Blue Ox. Havng the skull with it would make it even neater!

That would look real good with the hat!

#1357 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 12:11 PM

That would look real good with the hat!

Oh yes, the horned skull with one of your retired hats would be the ticket Willie!

• Craig., shorty and HDWildBill have said thanks

#1358 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Oh yes, the horned skull with one of your retired hats would be the ticket Willie!

That really would be something to see riding down the road! Good Avatar as well!  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

#1359 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 03:08 PM

Fair warning....those guys get good $'s for those skulls with horns, or horns alone.  Used to have a neighbor up the road that raised them.  Be ready to barter!

Not this guy. One dies, out comes the excavator, big hole dug, whole cow tossed in, covered up, and done.

#1360 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Tomorrow we start on one of the larger silage pits.  I got it cleaned out yesterday & ready for action.  Need to update my herd records tomorrow too, as I have herd vet check Tuesday morning.  

#1361 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 09:07 PM

How's shelled corn looking? I remember watching dad and Grandpa do de-horning before. Whenever it came to vet work and such, I preferred to be well outside. Lucky, we sold the cows before I was needed to ever help with it.

Edited by JDGuy445, August 18, 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#1362 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 09:35 PM

How's shelled corn looking? I remember watching dad and Grandpa do de-horning before. Whenever it came to vet work and such, I preferred to be well outside. Lucky, we sold the cows before I was needed to ever help with it.

Ours would make 150bu/acre or more, but most will end up as silage, as this year we almost ran out of silage. Don't want to cut it so close this coming year.

#1363 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Just get one load chopped & already broken down!  :wallbanging:   The chopper head gathering chains collided on one side, breaking the shear bolt & jamming the chains TIGHT!  Got the chains apart by plasma cutting one push finger of one side's chain, then when in place, welding the piece back in.  We'll take lunch & try it again, but I already know we'll be breaking down again.  I told dad exactly what is wrong, but he doesn't want to believe it.  Underneath, there are dry gears that run all this.  One of the shafts is out of line, and the only way this can happen is a bearing out on the shaft just above this one gear.  I can even see the shiny end of the bearing tube where the gear runs against as a thrust face.  No way you can see the thrust face unless the bearing is out, letting the shaft & gear move to the side.  Don't pay any attention to me Dad, I'm just a 54 year old kid.  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:    We may get some chopping done, but this will be biting us again, and likely soon.  It'll take an entire day, maybe more to repair.  If it rips the gears out, maybe a few days to get parts.  

We have NEVER had any bearings in a chopper head go bad....ever!  Things are just so poorly built these days.  This chopper is just a few years old.  Our other chopper we have set up for wheat & I can't remember if we still even have a corn head for it.  

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1364 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 10:48 AM

Sorry to hear you are having equipment issues, doesn't sound good either, hope things hold together long enough to get chopping finished.

#1365 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 11:42 AM

Not that I'm aware of.  Yes, electric is the most efficient & humane way to go.  Paste can end up with some weird deformed horns that you can't remove due to crazy blood veins that won't stop bleeding no matter what you do.  I remember as a kid the vet using those giant dehorning guillotine things, and we actually still have that same set.  The sound it made when cutting through the bone would send chills down your spine.

I hate dehorning, we have to do it on our market goats and dairy goats. We usually try to burn the growth ring when they are only 7-10 days old to prevent them from even growing, but that's sometimes a shot in the dark. Once they start growing, gotta cut and burn, not a fun day for all!

Hope you get through the day, sounds like not a fun one in regards to repairs.

• oldedeeres said thank you