• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,868 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 05:18 PM

Long day, and not without issues.  First round breaking open a new field, Dad got stuck with the chopper & wagon.  Took the MF2705 to pull him, but no-go....ground way too soft.  Told him the only way we'd get it out is unhook the wagon, drive the tractor & chopper out, then I hook to the wagon at an angle up into the corn a few feet to higher ground....worked like a charm.  Rehooked wagon to chopper & away we go chopping again.  Then Josh hung the truck up.  Almost couldn't even pull that out, but finally did.  Then the truck barely got down to the farm drive....steering weird.  The power steering slave cylinder frame mount had lost all 3 of it's 1/2" bolts!  The cylinder had beaten up the shock absorber, but not ruined.  It also broke a brake air line fitting.  Took an hour & a half to get all repaired, so we're ready for morning chopping.

I also got the bull calf away from the ghost cow that I finally got in the barn.  That calf went completely ape crazy on me, but that one I won hands down.  He'lll be fun to feed a bottle I'll tell you that!  It's momma acted fine today, and she's iin the parlor holding pen, so we'll have to see how it goes for Josh as far as getting her even in the parlor.  I'm shot, but I need to mow the yard again after a bite to eat.

• Craig., KennyP, UncleWillie and 1 other said thanks

#1338 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,868 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Mowing done, at least for the night, and I'm double-shot!  I have mowed at least 3 times more than the last couple years...maybe last 2 years put together!

• KennyP said thank you

#1339 Cave Dweller OFFLINE  

Cave Dweller
  • Member No: 43634
  • 17 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 09:38 PM

Well now Ollie, isn't this a fine mess. Just another day in the life. I'm glad you posted the pic. I saw one of those in Columbia today and had no idea what it was supposed to do. Looks like an excellent "home defense" weapon.

#1340 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,868 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 09:56 PM

Well now Ollie, isn't this a fine mess. Just another day in the life. I'm glad you posted the pic. I saw one of those in Columbia today and had no idea what it was supposed to do. Looks like an excellent "home defense" weapon.

What pic are you referring to Richard?

#1341 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,868 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 10:16 AM

This smaller silage pit is officially FULL!  Now for the fun of covering it with plastic & covering plastic with tires.  My shoulder is gonna love it!  I'll be tossing tires with my good shoulder, but it still wrenches the other side.  The corn is really putting out some high quality looking silage.  Test was sent off to lab yesterday for analysis.  Be 10 days getting back.  With the tons of grain that's in this silage, it will cut down on our feed costs.

We'll start on one of the large pits on Monday.

DSC00068.JPG

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#1342 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,513 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 11:33 AM

Looking good Daniel. I'm sure this has been discussed by many a farmer but could you take a couple of rolls of old 4' chainlink fence and roll out over the plastic?

#1343 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,868 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 01:27 PM

Looking good Daniel. I'm sure this has been discussed by many a farmer but could you take a couple of rolls of old 4' chainlink fence and roll out over the plastic?

People use a variety of methods, but tires are the #1 choice, but the farmers with some money buy large semi truck tires with the treads cut off, in other words, one tire makes 2 pieces to lay on the plastic.  They don't hold water and are stackable.  Wish I had the money to get several hundred.  Some use fabric tubes filled with sand.

My filled silage pit is capped off with plastic & tires now, and I am butt-whipped....bad!  I'll take a short break & recover somewhat, but milking coming in a while.  It's heck getting older! :(

BUT, I did get to use my MF1655D to haul the plastic roll to the pit, and to push back tires & smaller stuff, so got some GT seat time! :thumbs:

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#1344 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,513 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 01:55 PM

...large semi truck tires with the treads cut off, in other words, one tire makes 2 pieces to lay on the plastic....

Like what they put over road contruction barrels?

• olcowhand said thank you

#1345 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 13,524 Thanks
  • 7,960 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 02:33 PM

Daniel I can bring you a bijillion old tires for weights. We are trying to slowly whittle our pile down. LOL.

• olcowhand said thank you

#1346 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,868 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 03:27 PM

Like what they put over road contruction barrels?

Yep!

#1347 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 31,335 Thanks
  • 41,548 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 03:38 PM

Glad you could get things operational again. That pit looks good to me, glad it's covered. Hope the rest goes as smoothly!

#1348 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,868 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 10:28 AM

Following milking this am, I had the distinct pleasure to dehorn some heifers.  Nice aroma burning hair makes!  :(   Gave them their shots, then turned them out to see their first blade of grass since they dropped out the back of their momma's.  That's their reward for going through the dehorning.  You'd never know they just went through it, as they are out there running, jumping, and just having a great ole time.  Bad thing is, we usually have escapees for a couple or more days after letting them out.  Fences are an unknown to them.  When I 1st turn them out, I always close the gates to keep them restricted to the 2 acres at the top of the hill till they get used to being out there a few days, and I always have a few middle school calves in there to show them the ropes.  After a few days, they get to roam about 12 acres & go to the creek.  

• Craig., KennyP, HowardsMF155 and 3 others have said thanks

#1349 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 6,805 Thanks
  • 3,565 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 03:29 PM

Dehorning is never fun for sure. We used to wait until fall and used the big heavy four foot long dehorners--- the rule of thumb was to take the horn and "all the head you can get". That was just brutal, and Olde Deere #2 was just about in tears by the time we were done. (so was I, but guys can't show that kind of stuff, right?) Then, on the big stock we went to the obstetrical wire, better, but still not good. Tried caustic paste when that came out, but it can be tricky and just wasn't satisfactory, but at least they were babies when you used it. Finally got the electric dehorner and it really worked like a charm, easy to use, minimum of pain, quick, but you're right, the smell of burning hair can get to a guy. Finally lucked into a homozygous polled bull, and no more dehorning worries. Too bad they don't make polled Holsteins,  or do they?

#1350 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 13,524 Thanks
  • 7,960 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 03:48 PM

The field across the street is full of longhorns. Those things are well armed. My wife wanted to go in the pen and pet them and I told her no. She said why they aren't mean. I reminded her that they had spears and weren't all that good at knowing where they were. I want to talk to the guy that owns them and see if I can get one of the heads off of one that dies. I want to put the skull on my shop. Or just get a set of horns and make a nice hat rack.