• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Fred & Denise just called.  The heifer was beside the road again.  I shot up there on the 4 wheeler & finally got to lay eyes on the ghost cow.  She was mildly munching away, so thought maybe I could get between her & the corn.  As I approached, she looked at me as if to say "uh..no!"  She calmly walked right back into the corn & walked about 6 rows in for a ways, then disappeared.  I am just afraid someone will get hurt.  I don't care about the heifer at this point.  This field is a bit green, but it is half a field due to it being wet ground, so we may get to chopping it in the next few days, but then rain is coming, and lots of it, so this field will likely be too wet to get through.  :wallbanging:

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1322 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 02:34 AM

The trouble heifer?  There are plenty of good cows in this world, Daniel, can that one before she really goes nuts and someone (you) gets hurt. We had a lovely milk cow, first calf heifer, that was as tame and easy to handle as a puppy for three months, until one day she just went screwy and kicked heck out of Olde Deere #2. Got her down on the floor of the stall and tried to kill her, used feet and head both. It took the two of us to milk her for the rest of the week until the stock sale came and we bought a calf to put on her. Funny thing is, she took to the calf with no problem, but we couldn't do a thing with her ourselves--- she went to market in the fall still wearing the halter we couldn't take off her.

#1323 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:19 AM

Man, I'll stick with my goats, cows sound like a lot more work.

Daniel, can you explain the silage process in a short scenario? I've seen it covered up in rows, etc, but never really understood how you harvested, ground  up, stored it etc. Seems like it would rot to me grinding up fresh plants then putting under big tarp or am I off base.

#1324 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:27 AM

Man, I'll stick with my goats, cows sound like a lot more work.

Daniel, can you explain the silage process in a short scenario? I've seen it covered up in rows, etc, but never really understood how you harvested, ground  up, stored it etc. Seems like it would rot to me grinding up fresh plants then putting under big tarp or am I off base.

When I get time, I'll try to answer that in simplistic terms.  Right now I have too much to do.

• TAHOE said thank you

#1325 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:39 AM

Been a wild morning.  Early am I get a call from neighbor going into work early.  The "ghost heifer" is beside the field she escaped from, nowhere near a corn field!  So I jump into my britches & shoot out the door.  GOT HER IN THE BARN!   :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:   One reason for her being so sneaky is she had a bull calf a few days old with her!  Both in the barn safe!  Now...I get back to get my jug of coffee to start the day.  Still predawn.....Dad pulls up.  Further up the road, another calf beside the road laying in the grass.  It's the heifer calf that I couldn't find yesterday after getting her momma cow in.  So I go up the road with dad in his truck & catch the WILD thing!  Kicking like no end, but I finally get it in the back of the truck, while it's kicking me!  I just sit on it hard & it laid still!  Get back to the calf hutches &as soon as I let off pressure the kicking wildly started again.  So I grabbed a rear leg as it flies at my head & slung it off the truck, then jumped off, laid on it till I caught my breath, then put it in the hutch.  Whew....winded & tired, and my normal day hadn't even begun yet!  Anyway, cows milked, 4 cows separated to take to stock yards for selling, one more to bring up from dry field to sell.  90 stalls to sawdust today, 1/8th mile of fence to rebuild so cows can pasture this field we just chopped, 2 calves to move into pens, and cows to be hauled to market at end of day.  This all needs to get done today while it's too wet to chop silage.  1 & 1/2" of rain last night, so water is standing in fields.  Get all this done today while we can, as we'll be chopping again tomorrow.

• Craig., HDWildBill, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#1326 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:57 AM

Busy day!  You sound like the old armed forces commercial some years ago, "We do more before 9 o'clock than most people do all day"!!

#1327 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 10:25 AM

Just less than an hour & a half in on the fencing & I can't take the humidity any longer!  NOAA says 95% (I think it's higher!), and I can't keep the sweat out of my eyes.  Fence against the woods, so skeeters biting me & all other sorts of bugs flying into my eyes & ears.  I got about 1/2 the fence work finished, but gonna take an early lunch, then do the saw-dusting stalls, which is priority.  

#1328 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Man you are busy today. I hate fencing, I have 4 trees down on fence in back field, glad my goats don't need much pasture.

Are cows really the dumbest farm animals? sounds like they can be pretty sneaky

#1329 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 12:18 PM

Nothing like early morning cow wrestling to get the blood flowing.

#1330 916 hydro OFFLINE  

916 hydro
  • Member No: 10159
  • 114 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 12:30 PM

I worked on a cattle farm in my younger days. I worked for the cheapest man alive he wouldn't keep his fence up. one of his cows got into the neighbors pasture with a calf, well he had some nephews that were rodeo cowboys and we went down to get her. we figured out that it was easy to get a rope around her but what do you do after that we were down in a rock bottom stream with hills going straight up both sides she finally turned and decided she wanted me and pinned me up against the creek bank and started head butting me in the chest you want to talk about scary. we tried to get her out of there a few more times but lets just say she didn't come out alive.   

#1331 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 01:49 PM

Well, got the "Big Dipper" rear steer loader out to do the sawdust for the stalls.  Had problems getting gas to flow out of the tank, but finally got her going.  Then when driving the bucket into the sawdust pile for the very first scoop, something went "pow", and no go, forward or reverse.  Looked underneath & the slip joint of the driveshaft had come apart.  Looks like the 2 of the 4 bolts holding the differential to the frame snapped, letting it pivot on the other 2, then pulling the drive shaft apart.  No time for wrenching, so I got my trusty Massey 1650D w/FEL & got all but 10 of the 90 stalls done.  Those 10 stalls were in pretty good shape, and I was getting hot & tired, so called that chore completed.  Josh is getting the last cull cow in as I type, so all I have left on my list (besides finishing fence another day) is feeding afternoon silage & then loading & hauling the cattle to market.  Gonna pass out in my recliner tonight I bet! 

Man, this little GT with loader is invaluable to me!  BTW....took a half hour or more longer with the little Massey doing the sawdust, but the broken loader burns 4 to 5 gallons gasoline minimum doing this job.  I burned "maybe" 3 quarts diesel!

• Craig., twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1332 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 02:59 PM

You've been plenty busy! Glad the Massey was up to the task!

#1333 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 03:03 PM

The ghost heifer with calf......DANGEROUS!  She will mow a guy down!  Told Josh to leave her in the pen with her calf and we'll deal with her tomorrow when both of us can be there.  She was docile when I got her up this morning, but now she'll charge like a bullet!  May be making another trip soon to market if she doesn't calm down.  We'll give her a day or 2 after removing calf from her.  Cows loaded & fixing to head to the stockyards soon.

#1334 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:27 PM

I worked on a cattle farm in my younger days. I worked for the cheapest man alive he wouldn't keep his fence up. one of his cows got into the neighbors pasture with a calf, well he had some nephews that were rodeo cowboys and we went down to get her. we figured out that it was easy to get a rope around her but what do you do after that we were down in a rock bottom stream with hills going straight up both sides she finally turned and decided she wanted me and pinned me up against the creek bank and started head butting me in the chest you want to talk about scary. we tried to get her out of there a few more times but lets just say she didn't come out alive.   

Always said a cow is more dangerous than many bulls.  And a bull will "usually" give you advance warning....a cow does not!

Got the cows to stockyards with no issues......always a good thing.

• UncleWillie and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1335 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Yup they can be real honery critters! We had 3 of them that were like a real bad gang together !! Dad got flattened by them but got away , boy was he mad REAL REAL MAD !!! went to the house and came back and shot the ring leader dead in her tracks right in the door yard , call for the tractor and we dressed it right there. The other 2 cows never ever miss behaved again !! And boy she made some nice hamburg :thumbs:

• HDWildBill and twostep have said thanks