• Please log in to reply
8699 replies to this topic

#1306 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 12:43 AM

As my FIL. used to say,  "this aging isn't what its cracked up to be!"  How right he was.  We just keep on keeping on, doing half as much in twice as much time, and the job ends up getting done. The hard part is knowing when to quit before things get out of hand and someone gets hurt. Sounds like your dad is making a difficult but wise decision. And yes, things do work out in the end. Hang in there.

• Craig. said thank you

#1307 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 08:49 AM

Taking in another load of grain today, then last one tomorrow.  That will leave enough corn for me to keep young calves in ground feed till harvest time.  100+ mile round trip, but coming home is a breeze empty.  That 2 ton GMC Topkick drives great empty, and not too bad even with a 24,000lb load of corn.   

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1308 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 10:27 AM

Is it a tandem axle?

#1309 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 12:05 PM

Is it a tandem axle?

No, single.   With farm tags, we can haul more than commercial.  I won't haul more than 350bu with the old C65 Chevy.  Dad overloaded the GMC on my first trip when I had 430 bushels.  Still drove fine, but I could tell I was heavy.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#1310 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 12:28 PM

Skies still clear over my path to market, so I'm gonna load up the last load to sell & take it on in today.  Decided we'll start chopping silage first of the coming week, so I need to get this finished, and tomorrow is the highest chance for rain.  My tarp isn't the best, so we'll get it done today.

#1311 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 12:33 PM

Hope it is a safe, dry trip!!

#1312 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 02:09 PM

go buy a big umbrella. It is supposed to rain here for the next 10 days. Just what we need right when roads are starting to get fixed from the last monsoon.

#1313 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 03:10 PM

The other day I was watching the news and they had an article on floods in north GA and then the weather came on an the weather man says more raining coming but we need the rain.  Hello!  Were they not just talking about floods from all the rain????  I swear some people must take their brains out and use them for a toy.

Hope you beat the rain today Daniel. 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1314 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 04:15 PM

Not even a sprinkle on me, no issues of any kind, so a good day.  Told Teresa I'd be home around 5, and I pulled in the drive as 5pm rolled onto the clock.  That's some good ETA!  Now I've gotta run to town real quick, and then I can rest.

#1315 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 06:04 PM

The other day I was watching the news and they had an article on floods in north GA and then the weather came on an the weather man says more raining coming but we need the rain.  Hello!  Were they not just talking about floods from all the rain????  I swear some people must take their brains out and use them for a toy.

Hope you beat the rain today Daniel. 

I have the Weather Chanel app on my phone. Everytime I open it it tells me dry conditions will continue - even if it is pouring rain outside.

#1316 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 08:36 PM

I have the Weather Chanel app on my phone. Everytime I open it it tells me dry conditions will continue - even if it is pouring rain outside.

Good app!  I hope it was free.

#1317 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 10:54 AM

Today we started chopping in earnest.  Only got 7 loads so far, and the first 6 loads required me to hook another tractor to pull the silage train up the final hill.  The 7th made it up by itself, so things should go easier this afternoon.   Bad thing is, the GMC front right brake is evidently worn out, as it's squealing, and it locked on me going downhill to the pit, dragging the truck front off the bank toward out hay roll barn.  Back wheels held it just in time, and cutting the wheels hard to the right got the truck back onto gravel without a pull.  I thought I was going to slide into that barn for a second!  

We spent a lot of time looking for an escaped cow yesterday.  She's been hiding inside the cornfields at Josh's house, but we've never seen her till yesterday.  She was in the road at least 4 times, but every time we go to see about her, she runs back into the corn fields....75 acres of them.  There is no way, short of having a hundred people or more walk the fields to get her out.  The field next to the road is one of the last planted, so not ready to chop or we'd chop it now.  I am so afraid someone will hit her with a car or truck.  Went up there this morning, but no sign of her.  Makes me wanna shoot the thing, but so far, I've not gotten a glimpse of her.

Had a small fresh heifer creating he!! in the milking parlor, but I've had enough.  I'm taking her to market tomorrow evening.  She gets all the others in the last 2 milking groups all stressed out, and she has even caused a couple cows to fall down in there.  Last night she started a kicking fit, so that made my decision.  Financially I'd be better off even giving her away with the trouble she is causing!  I look so forward to the day IF milking cows can be a part of my past.  I'd not have a single animal if I could help it!

Gotta go!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1318 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 04:04 PM

Rained on us this morning while we chopped, but light showers only....we didn't stop.  Had to pull the truck loaded up the hill just once, then we had it chopped over far enough past that rise.  Got at least a 1/3 of the small silage pit filled, so it'll get done before the end of the week easy .........if nothing breaks, and nothing is going to break......positive thinking!  :D

The truck brakes must have been rusted up some, as they stopped grabbing & squealing after a couple more loads, and they feel fine.  Got silage for cows mixed, but will wait till Josh gets the cows up to feed it out.  I think I'll go get the cattle trailer in a little while so that will be ready for tomorrow afternoon.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1319 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Here's what we got done in 5 1/2 hours.

DSC00059.JPG

Here's what the skies look like.  Been training storms around Louisville all afternoon, but it's dropping southward now.  I took this pic a while ago, and the rain is almost here now.

DSC00060.JPG

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1320 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:53 PM

Cows are cantankerous! They can be a real pain at times!