• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 02:56 PM

Got the chopper all fixed, then hauled another load of corn to the mill.  Sure wish I'd have hauled it 1 week ago, but wasn't prepared at that time.  Price has dropped $1 per bushel!  That's a $400 loss on each load!!!!  Oh well, what's done is done.  Got back & Dad & Josh had started chopping.  I took over hauling & packing so Josh could scrape manure from the lots.  Got enough chopped to hold us through filling the smallest pit, that we'll likely wait till week after next to start.    Got to patch a couple more places in the silage mixer/feeder wagon tomorrow.  Never have gotten time to put that new floor in yet.  Dad's feeling like this will be his last year he can handle doing the chopping, so I have NO idea how we'll get it done next year.  Packing is what I've done all my life, and it is the trickiest of all of it.  If done wrong, you can lay that loader on it's side in a heartbeat, and it's critical to get a proper pack to prevent spoilage.  I'll almost have to do the chopping, so we'll have to figure it all out before another year.  Just won't seem right without Dad out there chopping.  :(

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., twostep and 1 other said thanks

#1292 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 05:49 PM

I can understand your feeling of loss with Dad not chopping. Isn't chopping much easier to handle than packing? If it's not packed right, you will lose a lot. I would look into someone to take Dad's place chopping!

#1293 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 06:31 PM

I'm really surprised your Dad is doing what he has at his age, so his decision to not chop next year isn't a big surprise.  I'm afraid this is just the start of thing he will start to back away from.  My FIL is a little younger then your dad and he has started backing way from doing things he used to.  Hang in there my friend.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1294 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Dad's problem is his neck, having to look backwards so much.  The last few years there have been a lot more missed rows planting due to Dad not looking back as he used to could.  I figure he'll still want to plant, so my plan is to get a planter monitor.  Used to have a Dickey John monitor, but dad tossed it many years ago, saying he didn't need it.  We need it now, even if our necks could take it.  Need that seed down.

#1295 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 07:17 PM

I can understand the neck issues! I've had 2 whiplash injuries and I can not turn my head much. Thank God for peripheral vision!

#1296 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 07:26 PM

I can understand the neck issues! I've had 2 whiplash injuries and I can not turn my head much. Thank God for peripheral vision!

Dad's neck issues began about 30 years ago when he got rear ended by a T-bird.  Was bad the first 3 years or so, then got much better.  As he's gotten older, the pain & stiffness has returned.

• KennyP said thank you

#1297 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 07:42 PM

My first time was when I was about 4 or 5. Then again at about 40. Get's harder to look behind all the time!

#1298 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,741 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 10:48 PM

I would try to hire someone to do the chopping. Might need to try to get someone trained on that packing. You won't feel like doing it forever.

Might need to invest in a backup camera.

#1299 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 09:25 AM

I've been talking to Sue about retiring in next couple years, and moving back down there, if it works out I no I would be available. But there's a lot of if's if u no what I mean.

#1300 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 11:01 AM

I've been talking to Sue about retiring in next couple years, and moving back down there, if it works out I no I would be available. But there's a lot of if's if u no what I mean.

Craig, you're in more decrepit shape than I am!  With your knees & shoulders going out, you & I couldn't get anything done!  I can get tons of work done when I'm right, but lately that's not the case.

Been under the feed wagon welding in patches this morning following milking.  Unfortunately, this has made my neck & shoulder pain come back with a vengeance!  I have the rear patch bent to match the shape & welded in, just the front to go.  I'll do good to finish it.   I just wanna lay down, but then that doesn't feel good either unless I can nod off.  Where's my Ibuprofin!

#1301 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:49 PM

Took a full hour for lunch, and my shoulder & neck felt pretty good after a sit in the recliner. So went to finish the wagon patch & the instant I got under it & reaching up, the pain came back, stronger than ever.  Worked through it though, and got the patches complete.  I fed silage early & I am clocking out for the day.  Well, I am going back to the shop to straighten up the mess I made, but it can wait a while.  :smilewink:

• Texas Deere and Horse and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1302 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:58 PM

Daniel, Hang in there. Dad leaving the operation will change things for you, but something will let it work out. I know how you are feeling, with it being over 100F for several days now is really making me feel like crap all day long. The heat just makes all the normal aches hurt more.

#1303 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 02:05 PM

Heat isn't bad at all here, but humidity is between 80 & 90%.  Dad will never leave the operation until he's completely incapacitated, but he'll just have to pick his jobs carefully & wisely.  Sometimes I've had to choose for him when it's something he just plain shouldn't try, and he usually agrees.

• powerking56, Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1304 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,741 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Craig, you're in more decrepit shape than I am!  With your knees & shoulders going out, you & I couldn't get anything done!  I can get tons of work done when I'm right, but lately that's not the case.

A few years ago my dad and I were working on one of my trucks. After about an hour of groaning, cracking and popping he looked at me and said, "I don't think that between the two of us you could make one good person."

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1305 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 06:55 PM

I know grandpa is a tough old bird but I like to think that I can at least do what he can do now lol oh and Uncle Willie yeah you might be right there lol