#1276 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 02:49 PM

aaahhh thank you very much. That's what I thought your were meaning just wasn't sure. We actually take 30" hog panels and cut them down and make small pens for our rabbit/chicken barn at the fair. We can run the 16' panels long ways, then just zip tie the short panels in between to make small pens for all teh turkeys and pen of three market chickens, works pretty well. Then we cut the ties, pull all panels and scoop up all the shavings from floor and clean barn for next year.

Pretty little calf there!!!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1277 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Busy day today!  Milked the cows, now for a bite of breakfast.  Then grind a load of calf corn, clean up the grain truck in prep to haul 3 or 4 loads shelled corn to the mill next week.  Then all the stalls need fresh sawdust.  That'll take me up to tonight's milking, so today will be 12hrs plus some.  

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1278 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 03:23 PM

Got a lot done.  Josh cleaned up the truck, so I added scooping out the bad silage from the bottom of the feeders, and bush hogging 2 pasture fields to my list.  I ground & unloaded the corn, &refreshed 96 stalls with sawdust.  I am tired, and I still have the milking to do.  But some of that magic elixir that Mybigwarwagon loves so much is exactly what I need right about now.  That should get me through milking, or at least put enough legs under me to get down there.  My day off isn't till Sunday, but man do I look forward to it!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1279 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Got finished in good time milking.  All these new heifers are doing pretty good, but I do have to use "anti-kicker" hip hooks on some of them.  The main problem is some are on the small side, so they can pull away from me.  I'm having to deal with all sorts of pulled muscles in my back & shoulders from stretching & contorting to prep & milk them.  Gonna be popping some Ibuprofin tonight!

Now for yummy stuff.  Been working on our sweet corn a few days now.  This is our table tonight.

DSC00040.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#1280 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 06:16 PM

I see some real good lookin corn heading to the freezer. Glad you made it thru the day, you were very busy.

#1281 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 08:29 PM

That corn looks great, better then what mine seem to be.

#1282 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 02:24 AM

Can't say as I've ever met a cob of sweet corn I didn't like! That looks wonderful

#1283 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:22 AM

So what time is dinner??? :D   Sure looks good.  Also glad to hear the heard is doing well, maybe this year will help make up a bit for last year.

#1284 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 12:56 PM

N

maybe this year will help make up a bit for last year.

Not at all really.  Most of this year has been running in the red, but by late Fall we should be operating in the black again, as many of the dry cows will be back in the milking string instead of just costing money to feed.  Not the first of years like this.  At least we should have most of the grain needed to feed the herd once harvest time comes.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#1285 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:31 AM

Spending my day off tending personal chores.  Got the Massey 1010's deck all lined out with a new list priced $174 (got it for $120) belt and all the bearings lubed up with a grease needle.  They felt good, but with the deck off, a good time to add some grease.  I changed the oil & filter just a couple months back & she's not been ran half an hour since, so that's good still.  Gotta mount the deck & spruce the paint up a bit with some hand buffing, then she'll be close to sell-ready unless I decide to repaint the rims that have some surface rust.

Also gotta get another plow gauge kit packaged to go out tomorrow.

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1286 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 08:33 AM

Milked & now getting a load of shelled corn in the truck to take to our feed mill.  Gotta do some shoveling, as it's not low enough for the cleanout auger, but too low to flow on it's own.  Shoulder is a mess this morning too! Hope the truck doesn't give any problems.  One trip last year blew a tire & took several hours to get going.  All new tires on the rear now, so oughta be good being I'm not putting a bertha size load in it.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#1287 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 08:51 AM

Hope you don't have any issues this morning, it's too hot to have troubles!

Do you wait for them to grind the corn or exchange it with corn already ground?

#1288 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 12:42 PM

I just sell them the corn & apply to our feed bill.  We buy it back as a component to our custom blend.

My shoulder is hurting worse this morning, then when I climbed the bin, almost one armed, a nest of waspers got me on my right arm.  Got me about 3 times, but I did use my left arm getting down!  Not been a good day.

#1289 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 04:20 PM

Sorry to hear about those wasps! Hope you're not allergic!

#1290 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 04:22 PM

As soon as I finished my last post, Dad pulled the corn silage chopper to the shop.  Knew that meant trouble.  Dad & Josh were gonna chop 3 or 4 loads of green chop while I hauled the grain so we can blend green chop with what little is left of last year's silage till the silage corn is really ready to get into full tilt.  The corn "snout" on the chopper as I call it came loose at it's rear, then the front dug into the ground & folded like a pretzel.  Spent all afternoon beating & banging it back into shape with my bad shoulder.  Luckily I'm right handed, and the bad shoulder is the left, so it just had to do the holding, which was bad enough.  Bee stung right arm is just sore, so not too bad there.  Then Josh said the old C65 he was hauling silage in with died & won't hit a lick.  I go check that out & takes me 1 second with the key on to know it's out of gas.  The electric fuel pump is so easy to know when it's not getting fuel just by the sound.  Fuel gauge read 1/2 a tank, but you can never trust a gauge on a 35yr old truck.  I sure wish Josh picked up on sounds/vibrations & the like....sure would make things easier sometimes.  And if you wondered, yes, I'm grumpy as an old bear.   But I have a cup of coffee now and chillin a bit.  Then I need to do just a little mowing where are these tractors, wagons, and trucks have been parked, as the grass under had gotten high.  I could do a LOT of mowing, but I'm not!  

I had intended to load the GMC back up with a load of corn for delivery tomorrow early, but looking like an afternoon trip now. We'll finish the chopper repairs & load the truck in the morning.