• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Supposed to drop to 61F tonight!  That is GREAT for the cattle!  They drop off on milk BAD when it gets hot & humid.  Electric bill shot up over $150 just from running the cow cooling fans this last month.

Got all the farmyard areas mowed today.  

#1247 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Supposed to drop to 61F tonight!  

That will almost feel a bit chilly when you head to the barn.  We are supposed to be down to 55F tonight.  :dancingbanana: It will feel good again.

#1248 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 12:40 AM

Your low overnight  was awfully close to our high today, Daniel ! And we got 1/2 inch of rain to make it even nicer,  lol. Should make the mushrooms grow though.

#1249 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 08:06 AM

Nice morning milking with the cool weather!  Cutting hay this morning, and some calf work to do.  Then I'm expecting some great company to roll in around noonish.  Brian (Texas Deere & Horse & Family) are coming by on their way to Joey's Mom's.  Gonna churn up some home made peach ice cream!  

• Craig. and twostep have said thanks

#1250 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 10:45 AM

Raining when I got up this morning, so milked, then went to the shop for as while.  Gotta get a new calf & momma in after lunch.  Then slow afternoon till chore time again.  Tomorrow is my day off.  Was supposed to be off today, but Josh had his wife's sister's wedding to attend, so we switched out.

#1251 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 10:52 AM

While in the shop, the newest to me John Deere F935 needed some attention.  I got the tube extended that goes from the air cleaner to the intake screen on the right control side panel.  Then it had a leaky right drive tire, and a leaky deck caster tire.  Just put a tube in the drive tire, as I had one & didn't feel like dealing with a tubeless leak.  There was a pinhole in the tube of the caster wheel.  While I had her off the ground, it was a good time to check the non working left brake.  No biggie.  In fact, almost new brakes & brake hardware, just not adjusted correctly.  NO signs of differential leak at all, so great news there.

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill, UncleWillie and 1 other said thanks

#1252 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:59 PM

Calf & cow are in, bull calf.  Usually we sell them all, but might hang onto this one for a breeding bull.  Just have the 2 bulls on the place, one with cows, other with breeding age heifers, with nothing coming up.   Went to mow with the newest F935.  DANG...I evidently pinched the tube on the caster wheel & was flat.  Took tire off again & another patch on tube.  This time I put the tire on by hand, no bar to pinch it.  Then mowed the yard & road frontage by the silage pits. Sick calf this morning.  Wouldn't take a bottle, nor get up.  Gave it pennicillin & Excede, then 3 hours later go to check on it.  She got up & took her bottle by herself.  Hope she pulls outta this.  She's the 2 day old calf that escaped down the road, then returned to the barn the next day.

• HDWildBill, UncleWillie and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1253 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Good to hear the calf is better. We're quite familiar with penicillin and it's uses, but what is Excede and how does it work? Is it similar to Borgal? When we have a calf down or off it's feed, Olde Deere #2 tubes it with an electrolyte solution to combat dehydration, and on the next feeding goes back to milk, tubed again unless it's already back showing interest in it's mom.(Ours are beef cows of course and live with their moms). A baby calf that goes down doesn't have much to go on, and we find that hydration is the first thing we deal with, then treat for pneumonia, other infection-- navel ill, fever etc. We don't lose many, but it does happen, and then everyone, momma cow and us, is in mourning.

#1254 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 03:32 PM

Excede is just another form of antibiotic, used for respiratory infections, uterus infections, foot rot, etc.  I keep it for cows with uterus infections, but glad it worked so well on this calf.  She didn't appear to have a respiratory problem, but it's a broad spectrum antibiotic also, so couldn't hurt.  Gave pennicillin in the rear & the Excede in the front.  Figure the meds can meet in the middle & compare notes.  :D

• KennyP, HDWildBill, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#1255 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Left the farm for a while today.  Teresa & I rode the bike to Somerset, Ky & went to a flea market.  Didn't find much we needed to buy, but had a good ride.  180 miles total.  Got home & started cleaning up the Massey 1010.  The deck belt has had a bad place in it for a long time, but it's been doing ok.  So I finally, after almost 3 years, I put all the belt/pulley shields back on.  Took an hour to do. Go mow maybe 2 minutes, & the belt rolls off an idler!  Now I gotta shell out $140+ for a new OE Massey belt and all these shields have to come back off! :wallbanging:   This belt is a PIX belt and is junk.  It lasted just a few hours mowing when it developed a bulge in it.  Cost me $65 but gave me an education....get OE belts!  Another piece of education today....the Chinese eatery down there doesn't have good food.  I almost pulled into Golden Corral, and sure wish I had.  Still all in all a good day.

Josh had 3, yes three baby heifer calves with their momma's today to get in.  ALL our calf stalls are full, and I just weaned 4 calves 2 days ago & cleaned the stalls.  We had one heifer calf yesterday.  Not sure what we'll do, as we have a bunch of cows soon to calve, and no calves old enough to wean for 3 weeks at best.  May have to rig up some temporary stalls with hog panels or something.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#1256 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Sounds good you have the calve problem.  That means hopefully the heard will now start growing. 

I went on a short charity ride today. A young girl had a brain tumor when she was 4 but the surgery left here with sight and hearing problems. The feel they can now do another surgery to help with the problems left from the first surgery.  So we did a benefit ride to help with the expenses.  It was  a beautiful day and no RAIN! :dancingbanana:

• olcowhand, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1257 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 03:15 AM

Glad you got to go for a ride, guys! It was a great day here for a ride yesterday. Played on the FF and mowed with the MTD instead!

#1258 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 08:27 AM

Milked this morning, but not without issues.  Got a sick from mastitis fresh heifer, plus she has pinkeye.  Treated for the mastitis, and Teresa is picking up pinkeye medication.  One new heifer has "nervous leg syndrome", to where she gets excited when put in the barn and her feet fall out from under her.  She's fine other than the nervous condition.  She went down when first put into the parlor, so I had to run  them all back around into the holding pen & try it again. Got her milked this time, but when I let them out, she dropped to the floor again!  She drug herself most of the way out the parlor, then finally got back on her feet.

Making hay today!  Only about 25 acres, and not heavy, but too much to bush hog & leave on the ground.  Dad's tedding the hay, and I'll rake around noon, then I'll roll it.  Rain tomorrow possible, so will see about building some temporary calf stalls.

• KennyP, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1259 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:39 AM

Just ate breakfast a few minutes ago.  So busy there wasn't time.  Had to go shut the gate Dad forgot to shut before the calves found it open (like they did last time he forgot).  The used the FEL on my MF1655D to place 5 of the molasses lick tubs in the feeders.  Feed needs grinding for the calves today, but it may have to wait till tomorrow.  There looks to be enough to get them through.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1260 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Been a long 12 hour day....just got in.  Raked & baled 30 rolls.  Had to do some temp electric wiring to get the roll baler powered.  The power wires we had run for it are dead for whatever reason I didn't have time to track down.  Shot some R134 into the AC & got to rolling.  Then had to fix some electric fence, call the feed company before they closed to order feed for tomorrow, then drag my tail to the house.  DONE for the day!  Oughta sleep good tonight too!